Darien UL, Ridgerunner, DIY
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear UQ,TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie sling

Weight chart for upcoming Ozark Trail Thru Hike

for you interest and amusement I thought I would post a preliminay gear list for a hike that has got my greatest interest at the moment. I belive I will be trying the whole of the Ozark Trail in Missouri (227 miles) over a 2 week period in late September/early October. I know that there has been alot of discussion about hammocks versus tents/tarp-bivy and if you can go as light using a hammock. Attached is my list showing a total base weight well in the UL range of under 10 lbs using my hammock and insulation

Ozark Trail preliminary weight chart 2012.pdf
    "nature speaks in the silence between words"
    www.mustexplore.blogspot.com

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    I like it,,for that trip,,you might consider 2 pair extra socks, if you think weather is going to be alittle wet. Just keep one for sleeping in, and alternate the other 2 pair for hiking with occasionally washing..nice kit.
    2nd CAG, CAP 2-1-5 5th Marines, 1st Mar. Div.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Action_Program

Hammock
    DIY The Crippler
    Tarp
    Cuben Refugee
    Insulation
    The Ex-gf
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Skygzr View Post
    for you interest and amusement I thought I would post a preliminay gear list for a hike that has got my greatest interest at the moment. I belive I will be trying the whole of the Ozark Trail in Missouri (227 miles) over a 2 week period in late September/early October. I know that there has been alot of discussion about hammocks versus tents/tarp-bivy and if you can go as light using a hammock. Attached is my list showing a total base weight well in the UL range of under 10 lbs using my hammock and insulation

Ozark Trail preliminary weight chart 2012.pdf
    You should thru-hike the SHT instead.

Your list looks great man and I can't wait to see your trip report. What trekking poles are you using?

Also, if you start this thing after Sep. 24th and want some extra memory cards. Let me know. I have some 8gbs and 16gbs I can send on over one I'm back from my little trip.

Fronkey

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear UQ,TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Quote Originally Posted by Fronkey View Post

Your list looks great man and I can't wait to see your trip report. What trekking poles are you using?

Also, if you start this thing after Sep. 24th and want some extra memory cards. Let me know. I have some 8gbs and 16gbs I can send on over one I'm back from my little trip.

Fronkey
    thanks man- I am still planning to try and come up for a few days with you on your thru hike but I only have a fews miles left to complete the SHT. this one is close to home that I have neglected
    do you need another jam? I might have one cheap if I like this zpack when it arrives

Hammock
    DIY DL 1.1 Ripstop
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    New River Full UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies n' Spike
    Never understood the whole base weight obsession. When I hike long distances, I'm more concerned how much actual weight is on my back, which includes water and food and anything I'm wearing.

I dont get this whole competitive UL thing. I'm all about packing less for more, but all this seems to do is stroke the ego imo... I dunno.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Insulation
    Ridge Rest Pad
    Suspension
    Wratchet Straps

Thanks!

It's always so useful to see the list of what others are packing. I'm still working on putting a lighter weight pack together. Thanks for sharing!

Hammock
    DIY The Crippler
    Tarp
    Cuben Refugee
    Insulation
    The Ex-gf
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Skygzr View Post
    thanks man- I am still planning to try and come up for a few days with you on your thru hike but I only have a fews miles left to complete the SHT. this one is close to home that I have neglected
    do you need another jam? I might have one cheap if I like this zpack when it arrives

I've been wanting to hike the Ozark for awhile and it's great you're doing that one.

I was actually planning on getting a jam in a few weeks. So, if you end up loving that Blast pack, I would for sure take it off your hands.

Fronkey

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear UQ,TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Quote Originally Posted by hikerman2000 View Post
    Never understood the whole base weight obsession. When I hike long distances, I'm more concerned how much actual weight is on my back, which includes water and food and anything I'm wearing.

I dont get this whole competitive UL thing. I'm all about packing less for more, but all this seems to do is stroke the ego imo... I dunno.
    true enough but in this case there are only 2 possible resupply points.
    the first at 88 miles and the next at 170, so the less weight and volume in the pack the more food can be carried. water is not a problem on this trail as there is a spring/pond/river every few miles. I always try to set a max limit of 20 lbs on my back total plus any cloths I am wearing. that just feels best

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear UQ,TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Quote Originally Posted by Fronkey View Post

Fronkey
    REI carbon fiber 13 oz for pair

Hammock
    DIY DL 1.1 Ripstop
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    New River Full UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies n' Spike
    Well, if you are ever in Ohio, the Cuyahoga Valley National Park is loaded with trails! Also, The Buckeye Trail (part of which goes through the Nat. Pk) circumnavigates entire state of Ohio and stretches over 1800 miles... Ive done 12/1800 mi btw:what:

I just wish I had more time and money to invest in all this fancier equipment, like cuben this and that, etc... 2 kids and a wife need to eat though... GL

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast