Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I can't belive this

Well, first off, hello from Nova Scotia!

This weekend I am going camping with some friends but came across a problem. I don't have a single person tent! I have a huge Coleman tent that is just so ridiculously ginormous it's not funny. So I started looking for alternatives.

Single person tents? Too expensive. Larger tents? Simply too big for just me, considering this is intended to be a "minimalist" camping trip. I even considered a debris hut shelter for the night, but our location is going to be away from any real leaf litter so I can't even get away with that.

Then I stumbled across this site. I think telling you I have half of a DIY bridge hammock built should explain how impressed I am, considering I found this site yesterday. Imagine my wife's surprise when I came home from work today with an armload of fabric and immediately asked her to teach me how to use her sewing machine!

Unfortunately, I couldn't find ripstop nylon so I had to settle for the heavier canvas but it seems like it will hold up well. I won't be hiking much more than a couple kilometers with this so weight shouldn't be too much of a big deal.

I'll grab a few photos when I finish it tomorrow! Thanks for this awesome forum!

Edit: I just came up with a sewing question for you professionals out there. While sewing the nylon strap to the edge of my canvas, I found that the thread on the other side (what comes out of the bobbin?) isn't tight, the loops I mean. I'm not pulling the fabric through the machine, i'm just letting it push it through itself as it's sewing and simply guiding it but I still can't figure out why the loops on the bottom are so loose! Any ideas?
    Last edited by jacob; 08-13-2008 at 23:24.

Hammock
    DIY HH
    Tarp
    black cat
    welcome jacob

to answer your sewing question probably adjusting your tension on the machine will fix this problem. The tension on my machine need to be changed when i go from sewing just the fabric to sewing something a little heavier(webbing etc) so hopefully that works for ya. Other than that, enjoy the site and be careful its like crack you'll be making stuff all the time and when you're not you'll be thinking of it or how you can improve a past project.

Just wait you'll see

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Sounds like you need to tighten the upper thread. If your wife is anything like mine... show her the problem and ask her to fix it for you. I don't mess with that stuff on my wife's machine. But then she sews professionally and my machine is an old cast off of hers so it don't matter if I bugger that one up.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Images
    yeah, if its loose on bottom, the thread coming from the spool probably needs more tension, if the top threads were loose, then you might need to tighten the bobbin tension. adjust until it's identical on both sides.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    OES 12 x 10
    Insulation
    JRB Mt.Washington4
    Suspension
    Whoopie/UCR
    Yep, adjust the tension of the top thread. I had this problem a while back sewing the bag back on my cheap byer lounger. Frustrating as all get out to take forever to sew something that's only like eight inches. I was unfamiliar with the machine so spent half the afternoon trying to figure out how to wind the bobbin. My mom called while I had half the machine apart, so I was complaining about how it was way to difficult to deal the the bobbin (she has a similar model) and how whoever designed the machine didn't know his had from- well, you know. So she get out her machine to look at and is just totally not understanding why I'm having so much trouble.... Turns out you don't have to tear the machine apart. I was way overcomplicating things Live and learn... Make sure to post photos of your completed hammock.

Hammock
    DD modular jungle hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jacob View Post
    Well, first off, hello from Nova Scotia!

This weekend I am going camping with some friends but came across a problem. I don't have a single person tent! I have a huge Coleman tent that is just so ridiculously ginormous it's not funny. So I started looking for alternatives.

Single person tents? Too expensive. Larger tents? Simply too big for just me, considering this is intended to be a "minimalist" camping trip. I even considered a debris hut shelter for the night, but our location is going to be away from any real leaf litter so I can't even get away with that.

Then I stumbled across this site. I think telling you I have half of a DIY bridge hammock built should explain how impressed I am, considering I found this site yesterday. Imagine my wife's surprise when I came home from work today with an armload of fabric and immediately asked her to teach me how to use her sewing machine!

Unfortunately, I couldn't find ripstop nylon so I had to settle for the heavier canvas but it seems like it will hold up well. I won't be hiking much more than a couple kilometers with this so weight shouldn't be too much of a big deal.

I'll grab a few photos when I finish it tomorrow! Thanks for this awesome forum!

Edit: I just came up with a sewing question for you professionals out there. While sewing the nylon strap to the edge of my canvas, I found that the thread on the other side (what comes out of the bobbin?) isn't tight, the loops I mean. I'm not pulling the fabric through the machine, i'm just letting it push it through itself as it's sewing and simply guiding it but I still can't figure out why the loops on the bottom are so loose! Any ideas?
    welcome to hammock forumsneo
    the matrix has you

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Welcome to HF Jacob.
    The canvas is going to be heaver than you might want but it should be nice & strong.
    Maybe you can find a light weight fabric for your next hammock & keep using that one at home. Looking forward to the pictures.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Well, it took a lot longer than I anticipated to get the endcaps sewn together so I still have the bug net to sew on tonight, with a zipper so I can get in and out.

Once I finished the end caps I did manage to rig the hammock up to a couple trees at about 12:30am to see how it felt. It was very, very nice!

I can say however that my sewing skills are in definite need of improvement so don't laugh when I post my photos when i'm finished.

I'm already looking at ways I could rebuild it and improve it!!

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    JRB 10X11, MacCat
    Insulation
    Snugfit, 2 JRBs
    Images
    Hi Jacob...welcome to Hammock Forums. I've been to Nova Scotia about six times...always in the summer. You are lucky to be living in one of the friendliest and most beautiful of places.

Hammock
    My DIY 10.5'X5' speer style
    Tarp
    PW 10X12 Cathedral
    Insulation
    PW Comforter Quilt
    Suspension
    1"poly webbing
    Images
    congratulations on your new hammock, and don't worry about how it looks as long as it is safe and is comfortable. Welcome to the site, and enjoy your trip.

Dwight
    Psalm 19:1-3 "The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork. Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night sheweth knowledge. There is no speech nor language, where their voice is not heard."

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast