Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Wanted: Red Satin Hammock

Hello, I'm looking for a red satin suspension (is that the correct term?) hammock. Long story . . . but anyway, it doesn't have to be the most durable thing, just as long as it lasts a good while.

So if anyone has one they might be willing to part with, or knows of a brand that carries them, I would appreciate it. If you have any questions about my request, just ask; I'm sure I left some rather important detail out.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    My experience with satin is not happy. I don't think it has the strength to last under the load stress of a hammock. At least the satin I used for my DIY didn't. Ended up on my butt on the basement floor.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Nano-7
    Tarp
    Cat cut tarp
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Yeti
    Suspension
    Woopie slings
    Images
    Hi
    I have a diy toploader in red, not sure of the material and I have only used it once. it's yours if you want it and want to pay shipping from Australia
    Rivers know this: there is no hurry. We shall get there some day.
    Winnie the Pooh

My Photo Album
    My youtube videos

Proud member since May 2007

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Ooo La La

Red Satin, huh?

I have to agree with RR. I wouldn't feel safe with satin trying to hold me up in the air.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    My experience with satin is not happy. I don't think it has the strength to last under the load stress of a hammock. At least the satin I used for my DIY didn't. Ended up on my butt on the basement floor.
    Perhaps if it was strengthened by something? Anyway, I'll accept something that looks like satin. I don't know much about weaves anyway, so a look-alike isn't really a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by gunn parker View Post
    Hi
    I have a diy toploader in red, not sure of the material and I have only used it once. it's yours if you want it and want to pay shipping from Australia
    Haha, you'll have to explain to me what "toploader" means. Do you have any pictures?

Quote Originally Posted by headchange4u View Post
    Ooo La La

Red Satin, huh?

I have to agree with RR. I wouldn't feel safe with satin trying to hold me up in the air.
    Haha, great taste right? It only has to hold up 140 pounds (yes, a single), but it's only the look/feel that really counts if satin isn't strong enough.

So if anyone has one they might be willing to part with, or knows of a brand that carries them, I would appreciate it. If you have any questions about my request, just ask; I'm sure I left some rather important detail out.

someone might could whip one up that looks satin maybe a dbl layer or something what is it required to do might help

Marty

How would sewing a satin cover over the hammock work out?

Hammock
    Clark / Claytor
    Tarp
    Neo 12 X 12
    Insulation
    Cheap pad
    I'm sure someone could satin cover a stronger material so it would be strong enough, yet have the look and feel you want.

I haven't made a DIY hammock yet, but I'm sure someone could help you, or you could grab a sewing machine and make one yourself.
    The harder I work, the luckier I get.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Black Bird
    Tarp
    BWDD Winterdream
    Insulation
    Speer Snugfit
    Images
    Ok, all these 'used once' and 'my experience with satin' coments have me almost as curious as the original request. So, not being too shy, I'll go ahead and ask: why satin and why red. And why did you others try satin?

Remember this is a family message board...
    Bad spellers of the world Untie!

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    I had a gorgeous deep purple satin that I wanted to make up into a hammock with the hopes of enticing my wife to try the idea. I thought she would like a deep purple better than some stealth color. Fortunately I messed with it enuf that it failed before flamingo got into it. At least my butt was in the dirt instead of hers.

It split from one edge to the other, not at a seam and not from one end to the other.. It was most definately a fabric failure, not a stitching failure. The seams and stitches held tight. So much so that I had to cut the seams off to salvage the fabric.
    Last edited by Ramblinrev; 08-16-2008 at 10:14.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast