Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Images

MacCat deluxe big enough for HH Explorer?

If there are any folks at this forum who are using the MacCat deluxe with the larger Hennessy hammock's such as the ultra-light Explorer Asym,I sure would appreciate your opinions regarding rain protection using this combination.

The reason I ask is: my MacCat deluxe arrived two or three days ago. I had ordered it after reading many rave reviews, which included many statements about the superior rain coverage it provided compared to the stock Hennessy tarp. I just happened to have my HHULASym Explorer set up in the backyard with stock tarp in place. So out of curiosity I just went out and pitched the MacCat deluxe over the Hennessy tarp. Though I was quickly impressed with how taught I could pitch that MacCat tarp, I was also quickly amazed to realize that it was a good 7 inches shorter along the ridge line than was the stock Hennessy! (Yes, I know, I should have measured the Hennessy first and compared it with the specs for the MacCat! And I almost ordered the standard!) Now as far as width goes, it provided far better coverage, although still not quite as much as I was expecting. I suppose it was less than what I expected due to the catenary cut, but that's okay because I would rather have the wind stability/quiet. But 3 1/2 inches less coverage on each end, where the rope connects to the ridge line, made me wonder if this would even provide as good a coverage as the stock tarp, at least in that one area.

So, since I otherwise love the tarp and would love to keep it, I am seeking user experience to see if this slightly less coverage on the ends is actually causing any problems with anybody in actual use. I'd like to know if you folks who are using the MacCat deluxe along with any of the Hennessy hammocks that have a 108 inch ridge line, such as the ultralight Explorer Asym, feel that overall your rain coverage is superior to, or at least equal to -even on the rope/ridge line end- the small stock Hennessy rain fly? Not on the Hennessy backpacker models, which are 8 inches shorter, but on the Explorer or other similarly sized models?

Thanks for your input
    Bill

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    i've herd nothing but good about the mac cat tarps, though i don't have one (yet), but i'm sure you'll get plenty replies to your post.
    as far as extra coverage at the ends from blowing rain, i'll soon be adding pictures of the new & improved "hammock end covers" that will allow the use of a shorter tarp & also provide storage. ...tim
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Images
    I have the HH Ultra light Explorer and the McCat Deluxe. I have not had any problems with rain coming in. Last fall I hung in Hot Springs at one of Ed Speers hammock campouts. My hammock and tarp was hanging for 3 days and 2 nights. It rained on and off the whole time. With some serious downpours with thunder and lighting to a light sprinkle. My hammock and all my stuff stayed dry.

Site selection is a big thing here. You need to make sure that you try to hang in a sheltered spot. If not you need to be perpendicular to the wind. The only time I have gotten wet with my McCat was when snow came in the head end and woke me up. More a function of the trees in my backyard.

On a side note. Now if it is going to storm I try to hang where I can move my hammock 90 degrees with only moving one tie out if needed. That way if the wind shifts directions I have a plan on what I need to do if rain starts coming in.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    My BlackCat is a good foot longer than the Deluxe - plus I'm either using the HH ULB (shorter than yours) or my homemade Speer-type (10' working length). So I haven't worked with the issues you're describing.

An idea, though - some sort of overcover (Hennessy or otherwise) would probably help keep windblown rain issues to a minimum. That is, assuming the cover is water resistant to some degree - I don't know what Hennessy makes theirs out of. The one I made for my ULB isn't strictly DWR, but it definitely has an effective resistant coating.

I've also seen various levels of prototypes of Slowhike's 'end caps' - I think they'll be a very effective solution to exactly the problem you're talking about.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    The HH overcover is sil.

You could always make an overcover with sil ends and DWR along the mid-section. I have sil on the foot end of my TravelPod, partly for this reason. But mainly b/c I made it from scraps and that's what I had left!

Since I don't have any olive drab sil, I'll probably make my next one from DWR and spray the ends if I need more protection. Of course a pod won't work on a Hennessy, but you could still spray the ends of a DWR overcover.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    The HH overcover is sil.
    If you are talking about the overcover in the HH Super Shelter Sytem it's actually untreated nylon (from HH site):

Condensation which may form on the inside of the breathable OverCover will be absorbed and will wick through the uncoated fabric and evaporate through the dry air moving between the OverCover and the rainfly.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post
    as far as extra coverage at the ends from blowing rain, i'll soon be adding pictures of the new & improved "hammock end covers" that will allow the use of a shorter tarp & also provide storage. ...tim
    Thanks everybody! And Hamm.Eng., you have my exact set up, so I'm glad to know you have had excellent results. And those "end-covers" sound like a great idea- looking forward to more info on them!

Also, over on WB, StarvingMusician(Judy) had hers (MacCat deluxe) pitched low and somehow managed to close the ends, which kept her bone dry in a real gully washer. I'm waiting to find out exactly how she closed those ends.

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    The HH overcover is sil.

You could always make an overcover with sil ends and DWR along the mid-section. I have sil on the foot end of my TravelPod, partly for this reason. But mainly b/c I made it from scraps and that's what I had left!

Since I don't have any olive drab sil, I'll probably make my next one from DWR and spray the ends if I need more protection. Of course a pod won't work on a Hennessy, but you could still spray the ends of a DWR overcover.
    Has anyone thought of making a Hennessy pod? I think it could be done, and it might not even be that difficult. You'd just have to add a slit to match the entry on the hammock.

I thought about using sil for part of my hammock sock. I also thought about spraying one end like you're talking about here. The Mt. Rogers trip was my first real field test with the sock, though, and I wanted to see how it worked before I modified it.

Conclusion - the sock is PLENTY water resistant the way it is. I had windblown snow under my tarp and on the sock all night Saturday night, and didn't get wet at all.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blackbishop351 View Post
    Has anyone thought of making a Hennessy pod? I think it could be done, and it might not even be that difficult. You'd just have to add a slit to match the entry on the hammock.

I thought about using sil for part of my hammock sock. I also thought about spraying one end like you're talking about here. The Mt. Rogers trip was my first real field test with the sock, though, and I wanted to see how it worked before I modified it.

Conclusion - the sock is PLENTY water resistant the way it is. I had windblown snow under my tarp and on the sock all night Saturday night, and didn't get wet at all.
    working on one now and putting a zipper on the head end long side of bug net to get in and out there
    Bear bait what??? Your It!!!!!!!!

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    I have entertained the thought of a HH pod, but with the side tie-outs and the HH weird entry method I gave up becasue I thought it may be difficult entering and exiting the hammock.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast