Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas straps
    Quote Originally Posted by RovinIIA View Post
    I read somewhere that it weighs 2#8oz. has to be lighter than the Walmart behemoth I have been toting. My question to those of you that have one. How small does it compress for packing purposes.
    If I get a better stuffsack/compression sack--it could be smaller.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B6Dh...it?usp=sharing

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12'
    Insulation
    Snugpak
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by RovinIIA View Post
    I read somewhere that it weighs 2#8oz. has to be lighter than the Walmart behemoth I have been toting. My question to those of you that have one. How small does it compress for packing purposes.
    Really it depends how much time you want to spend packing it. Ive gotten it down to where it cut fit in a nalgene bottle, but that was with an hour of rolling and compressing and folding and repeating. I prefer to pack it in a drawstring bag because it takes 5 seconds to fit it in, and with a bungee on the outside, it compresses not much larger than any other large tarps
    The Urban Outdoorsman- inspiring people to get out and enjoy the great outdoors

View my blog here- http://cityoutdoorsman.wordpress.com

Instagram: Nature_Pro_Pics
    Twitter: @cityoutdoorsman

Hammock
    DD frontline
    Tarp
    DD 3mx3m
    Insulation
    PLUQ & PLOQ
    Suspension
    UCR

Re: Kelty Noah's 12x12 Tarp

My tarp is just as heavy and I use snake skins... Lol

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    $16 Brown WallyMt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Ok I going to be really lazy here and just ask. How much of a weight difference would there be With a diy Silnylon tarp of similar dimensions. I purchased some mismatched heavy nylon at walmart for a dollar something a yard I bought the whole bunch somewhere around 14 yards. I have been playing with a thread injector. I am not quite there yet. This tarp can be had for less than the diy materials it seems. So it seems like I viable option while I try to hone my injecting skills.
    "So long and thanks for all the fish."~The Dolphins

I hate to bring up an old post like this but I though I needed to clarify the dimensions. My only reason for doing so is that this is the first HF post that comes up when searching for Kielty 12 tarp. I read it when doing my research and this thread lead me to believe the tarp would fill my needs when it does not. Kielty 12 tarps do measure 12'x12' when measured along the edges. However these tarps have a 12" cat cut on each side. This means if you want to use this tarp in an A-frame setup your ridgeline will only be 10' long. Since I'm trying to find a tarp for my recently finished bridge hammock, 10' won't cut it. It seems like a fine tarp otherwise.

Hammock
    WBRR, Amok Draumr 5
    Tarp
    MECGuid, Superfly
    Insulation
    Arrowhead UQ
    Suspension
    Stock Buckles
    You could use the Noah in diamond setup.
    Otherwise I use a MEC (Canada only) straight cut rectangle tarp that's 12' 8" long and 9' 6" wide. I've used it in cold, wet, & windy conditions without problem over my Ridgerunner. A search of Amazon shows some 13'x10' silnylon tarps at $100 US which look similar.
    Last edited by HarveyM; 04-02-2019 at 11:14.

Senior Member Pennsy Camp and Canoe's Avatar
    Hammock
    Dutchware 11' netless - Dark OG
    Tarp
    DIY 12' Winter hex
    Insulation
    LLG UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rausrh View Post
    I hate to bring up an old post like this but I though I needed to clarify the dimensions. My only reason for doing so is that this is the first HF post that comes up when searching for Kielty 12 tarp. I read it when doing my research and this thread lead me to believe the tarp would fill my needs when it does not. Kielty 12 tarps do measure 12'x12' when measured along the edges. However these tarps have a 12" cat cut on each side. This means if you want to use this tarp in an A-frame setup your ridgeline will only be 10' long. Since I'm trying to find a tarp for my recently finished bridge hammock, 10' won't cut it. It seems like a fine tarp otherwise.
    My green Kelty 12 has cat cuts much less than that! My ridgeline in A frame pitch measures 11.5 feet! We both have 11' Dutch netless hammocks and each used a Kelty 12 in the rain with no problems. I've used mine in heavy snow too.

Check out this video for different pitch options:

and this one for a cheep internal pole mod:

Pennsy that was a great idea on your pole mod using the S hooks. Nice work.

For a low tech solution on your pole mod, I think you can just take some cordage and tie off your pole, to the ridge line to keep it from moving side to side. I think a clove hitch would work perfect for that. Tie it right where the pole and the ridge line meet. I am sure someone else can chime in on an even better solution.

Be safe.

Bob

Hammock
    Clark NX270, 11ft DH Sparrow x2
    Tarp
    WB SF, UGQ WD13
    Insulation
    Z-Liner, 0 Zeplin
    Suspension
    Whoopiex2
    Quote Originally Posted by Draketake View Post
    Pennsy that was a great idea on your pole mod using the S hooks. Nice work.

For a low tech solution on your pole mod, I think you can just take some cordage and tie off your pole, to the ridge line to keep it from moving side to side. I think a clove hitch would work perfect for that. Tie it right where the pole and the ridge line meet. I am sure someone else can chime in on an even better solution.

Be safe.

Bob
    What Bob said... , In stead of a Clove hitch use a Constrictor Knot, that's what I use for one of my mods...

I have a noah. For most camping situations, it is overkill. I recently purchased a warbonnet thunderfly so the Noah will be staying at home. IMG_1624.jpegIMG_1354.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

• + New Posts
  • Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast