Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    AHE New River
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RichieC View Post
    I'm new to this forum, have a Hennesey with the oversized fly, and have been deep woods camper since the 70's. Perhaps these are known here, but I haven't heard them mentioned.

http://www.cookecustomsewing.com/tundratarp.htm

i've had my eye set on the 15x15 for group canoe camping in the rain forest otherwise known as the Adirondacks. These appear to really be the ticket, note the loops spaced along all the interior seams. Allows you to configure them in a number of ways securely. 2lbs 8oz but many smaller and lighter. a bit of $$$$, but I've looked into buying the fabric to make my own ,and for the small amount i would need, the price breaks mean it would be about the same.

I have three in college, so I have to figure a way to sneak one...lol.
    These guys need to add some hammocks to their shop.

The prices seem a bit high in my opinion. Maybe contact some of the cottage vendors here and see if they can custom a 15x15 for a better price. The Cooke stuff looks top notch but that price seems a bit high.

you can get a 16 foot Kelty noah for $75 also. Tons of tie outs and extremely well made. They are heavy but if you have the space in your canoe it's something to consider.
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
    - Albert Einstein

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy or DIY
    Tarp
    DIY hex or winter
    Insulation
    WL 3/4 UQ, DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks (IGD)
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by toygun View Post
    The prices seem a bit high in my opinion. Maybe contact some of the cottage vendors here and see if they can custom a 15x15 for a better price. The Cooke stuff looks top notch but that price seems a bit high.

you can get a 16 foot Kelty noah for $75 also. Tons of tie outs and extremely well made. They are heavy but if you have the space in your canoe it's something to consider.
    +1 on this....wow $449 base price

A quick check at DIY Gear supply and found the 1.1 Sil Nylon is going for $9.10 a yard ($5.50 for seconds which I have used in my 2 tarps that I made). So the material would cost $136 ($83 for seconds), add the other parts (webbing, thread, reinforcing fabric, ....) and shipping and you would still be under $200 (or $150 for seconds). I'd be firing up the thread injector for sure.
    "Mountains should be climbed with as little effort as possible and without desire. ... To live only for some future goal is shallow. It’s the sides of the mountain that sustain life, not the top. Here's where things grow." - Robert M. Pirsig

Subscribe to my YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/PaCampingDad

Nice DIY Site!

That DIY site does indeed have some decent prices! Was worth my post to learn of it!

THANK YOU!!!!

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Inc 0/UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Got this one on my wishlist!

Hammock
    WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    WB MJ
    Insulation
    KAQ; MAMW
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I'm heading to REI to pick one up this weekend (have to use the coupon by Monday). In my tarp quest at REI, I dismissed the ENO tarps as they weight the same as the HH Hex but cover significantly less area (and the reviews are mixed on the HF). Is there any reason to pick up the Hennessy Hex for $8 more? I like the weight of the HH Hex, but the flexibility of the Noah 12 as a fly, hex, winter flaps, lean to, ground shelter, etc.

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by historyteacher View Post
    I'm heading to REI to pick one up this weekend (have to use the coupon by Monday). In my tarp quest at REI, I dismissed the ENO tarps as they weight the same as the HH Hex but cover significantly less area (and the reviews are mixed on the HF). Is there any reason to pick up the Hennessy Hex for $8 more? I like the weight of the HH Hex, but the flexibility of the Noah 12 as a fly, hex, winter flaps, lean to, ground shelter, etc.
    I could not be happier with my 12x12 but it is worth noting that I don't hike with it. I use the Noah 12 in a base camp, when I am motorcycle camping, or in the winter when I really need doors. I have used it as a cover for two hammocks, as a cover for a "social" dry area in base camp, as a lean to when I have been forced to ground, and as a cold weather hammock cover w/doors. I have been very happy with it in all of those configurations.

Hammock
    Custom Trail Lair; Streamliner DL
    Tarp
    Noahs 12
    Insulation
    Incubator/Bandit 0
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    The more I use this tarp, the more I love it. Every time that I have set it up, my configuration has been different than any time before. The possibilities are endless.
    I have discovered 6 different porch modes so far. This tarp really does conform to the hang spot rather than having to choose a hang that fits the tarp.
    It has been through 5 nights of rain (from light to downpour) and through some pretty strong spring gusts (40ish mph) and no failures or issues. It has become my favorite piece of gear.

Hammock
    DD frontline
    Tarp
    DD 3mx3m
    Insulation
    PLUQ & PLOQ
    Suspension
    UCR

Re: Kelty Noah's 12x12 Tarp

I totally forgot this tarp existed.

I have a DD 3meter by 3meter tarp. Aka 9.8 foot square.

Cool to see this Kelty is lighter than my DD by a hair. And a couple feel bigger. Wow

It's all up to price now... A superfly really interests me for the size and weight, but the Kelty is cheap and big!

Hmmmmm

Hammock
    DIY 11" 1.1 black ripstop
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12
    Insulation
    tewa and HG
    Suspension
    UCRs/Dutchbling
    Images
    I've got the Noah 12 from Kelty also, and it's a good tarp, albeit large and heavy. I'll be upgrading in the future to something substantially lighter, but I've been in the rain with it and have had no issues what so ever. Need more practice hanging it though, going to try to cover two hammocks with it soon.

Good tarp, good price, TONS of configuration options. Good starter for sure.

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    $16 Brown WallyMt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I read somewhere that it weighs 2#8oz. has to be lighter than the Walmart behemoth I have been toting. My question to those of you that have one. How small does it compress for packing purposes.
    "So long and thanks for all the fish."~The Dolphins

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast