DIY 1.1 Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon Asym
    Insulation
    DIY 2/3 UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Toggles

Question for Those With Kids

I am in the process of making my first hammock (Yes, I am a noob). To keep costs down and things light I went with 1.1 oz ripstop 2nd from BackwoodDayDreamer.com.

The 1.1 will be fine handling me (190lb) lounging but I am wondering about my three boys (6, 4 and 2) climbing in with me. I am sure there will be times when all three are going to want to be in at once and I am sure they will not be lying still when they are.

Once mine is complete, I plan on making a few kids sized hammocks in the 1.9 oz from JoAnn so that may alleviate the issue somewhat, but they will still want to be with their "old-man" from time to time.

My question is do you think 1.1 will handle three small not-so-still boys? Should I just suck it up and do a double layer?

Hammock
    BMBH UL/WBRR
    Tarp
    WB SF/ WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Lynx/DIY/WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies/UCR/Web
    Images
    Im sure there are others with more knowledge but I think you could be pushing the limit on the 1.1
    Dream-Hammocks website has a good reference for general weight suggestions for each fabric type... I think the real issue is sudden force applied on that thin of fabric... If your boys are anything like mine... easing into and out of a hammock is foreign to them. With you being 190 lbs and 3 others weighing a combined 65 lbs (just a guess) would put you at/over 250 lbs and one quick move could put everybody on the ground. I would double it up.

Here is the link

http://www.dream-hammock.com/ChoosingPage.html
    Last edited by qbiclewarrior; 03-07-2013 at 13:15. Reason: link

Hammock
    WWM or tablecloth
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    shamu 40*
    Suspension
    UCR whoopie
    Images
    i would make the 1.1 for back packing and a 1.9 for being with the kiddos... i know that me and my 50 lb hooligan would probably be ok in a 1.1... but is it worth ruining a hammock over and possible getting injured... just get a thicker one for the family stuff and a lighter weight one for the back country... your going to end up with a ton of hammocks any ways
    Live, Laugh, Love, if that doesn't work. Load, Aim and Fire, repeat as necessary...

Buy, Try, Learn, Repeat

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    Big Daddy Tarp
    Insulation
    CCF/
    Suspension
    Whoopee Sling

Question for Those With Kids

Well I have a 1.1 single I made myself and at 250# it's held up just fine. I've had me and 2 other friends in it. That's pushing 500+lbs. I've swung in it so I was 90* to the ground. Jumped up and down in it.

Come to think of it I've kinda abused the thing (its just my lounging hammock I take very good care of my actual gear) and I am extremely suprised how well it's held up.

That being said I wouldn't recommend trying to push the limits especially with a few kids in there... I'd recommend maybe trying the tablecloth hammock? As far as I understand that material is very very strong. Especially if its your camping hammock, id hate for you to stress it at home and then have it fail in the woods were it counts
    Last edited by Pj1008; 03-07-2013 at 14:49.

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon Asym
    Insulation
    DIY 2/3 UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Toggles
    Quote Originally Posted by Brute1100 View Post
    i would make the 1.1 for back packing and a 1.9 for being with the kiddos... i know that me and my 50 lb hooligan would probably be ok in a 1.1... but is it worth ruining a hammock over and possible getting injured... just get a thicker one for the family stuff and a lighter weight one for the back country... your going to end up with a ton of hammocks any ways
    Good idea. Perfect excuse to give the wife for another hammock.

Quote Originally Posted by cubiclewarrior View Post
    If your boys are anything like mine... easing into and out of a hammock is foreign to them.
    Yeah. Gentleness is not their strong suit.

I like the idea of a second family hammock. I think I may go that route. So much for going the cheap route.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon Asym
    Insulation
    DIY 2/3 UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Toggles
    Quote Originally Posted by Pj1008 View Post
    Well I have a 1.1 single I made myself and at 250# it's held up just fine. I've had me and 2 other friends in it. That's pushing 500+lbs. I've swung in it so I was 90* to the ground. Jumped up and down in it.

Come to think of it I've kinda abused the thing (its just my lounging hammock I take very good care of my actual gear) and I am extremely suprised how well it's held up.
    Wow. I am impressed.

I would probably be fine with the single. But then again, if it falls and one of the boys get's hurt . . . not only would I be mad at myself, mommy would not be to happy either.

Everyone knows, when mamma isn't happy, no one is happy. . . . especially the guy too cheap to by another $25 in fabric.

Hammock
    WWM or tablecloth
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    shamu 40*
    Suspension
    UCR whoopie
    Images
    what you could also do for a little heavier option is the Tablecloth hammocks... i have done what pj1008 said above in my tablecloth several times and have had my 50# bicycle motor bouncing and all sorts of other craziness in it with me and no issues so far... but your looking at 20 oz fully rigged, but still less bulk than a 1 quart nalgene...
    Live, Laugh, Love, if that doesn't work. Load, Aim and Fire, repeat as necessary...

Buy, Try, Learn, Repeat

Hammock
    DIY tableclothsfactory
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    DIY down
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    +1 on the table cloth hammock. I have one for everyone in my family (4). They are cheap, already hemmed and ready to have the ends whipped and hung by your choice of suspension. They are not the ultralight backpacking choice, but for $12 each you almost can't buy the fabric to make your own. My kids are 7 & 9 and when ever their friends come over the first thing they ask for is to get the hammocks out.

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon Asym
    Insulation
    DIY 2/3 UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Toggles
    Spoke to my wife last night and I decided I would do the extra work and make each one of them their own 1.9 oz rip-stop hammock. Being young boys the rip-stop color choices from JoAnn's are a bit more fun.

So each boy will be getting their own hammock in their favorite colors for Easter. I will go ahead and make a more durable hammock for myself for home lounging and family trips.

Who knew I could use my boys as an excuse to get extra gear.

Thanks for the advice gentlemen.

Hammock
    WWM or tablecloth
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    shamu 40*
    Suspension
    UCR whoopie
    Images

Re: Question for Those With Kids

Quote Originally Posted by Itsamescott View Post
    Spoke to my wife last night and I decided I would do the extra work and make each one of them their own 1.9 oz rip-stop hammock. Being young boys the rip-stop color choices from JoAnn's are a bit more fun.

So each boy will be getting their own hammock in their favorite colors for Easter. I will go ahead and make a more durable hammock for myself for home lounging and family trips.

Who knew I could use my boys as an excuse to get extra gear.

Thanks for the advice gentlemen.
    That's what we are here for... Furthering the addiction through logic and experience... have fun hanging with the rugrats...

Buy, Try, Learn, Repeat

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast