JRB Bridge and WB Traveller
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    Leighlo and Incb.
    Suspension
    WS

SUL polycyro (shrink wrap) tarp

I must have been really bored on this rainy weekend. I made 8.75 x 13 super ultralight tarp from a polycryo window insulation (shrink wrap) kit. The tarp is now being tested in a downpour we're having. It's working great, so far. I think it only weighs about 6 oz.! Not sure about the weight, I'll have to go to the Post Office and weigh it. This stuff is surprisingly strong. I believe it's the same material used for the groundsheets Gossamer Gear sells. I found a kit with a 62" x 210" piece. The kit also included 90' of double sided tape. I used two kits. I taped the two pieces together with the double sided tape. I then used the double sided tape to make "hems." Then I used Gorilla Tape to make the tieouts, one 6" piece and one 2" piece in the middle of the 6" piece, making the middle two inches not sticky, if you get what I mean. Used some cheap poly string for tie outs, and a Zing-it ridgeline from my real tarp. So far so good. The wind has only been about 10 mph, and an inch of rain has fallen on it so far in the last four hours. Keeping my fingers crossed!
    Attached Images Attached Images

• + New Posts