Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: overload

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

overload

Bare with me..Trying to learn as much as possible..but, so new to this type of camping (43 years as a ground dweller), that I still have milk on my lips...I finally made the decision on a hammock, and now want to get a inexpensive tarp..Wanted to get a sportsman guide tarp, but they are out...Where else, to go?? I also want to get the right cord for a ridgeline and a tarp line...what should I get...also, caribiners..Now, I am trying to get into this as economiclly as possible, but, If this works out for me, I will upgrade, and do it right, if there is such a thing...I am a large man,270, with one knee replacement and another in my future, I looked into hammock camping for this reason, difficult getting off the ground after a cool evening and my arthritis screaming at me...But I love the outdoors, don't want to quit, and figure this might be the way for me to keep going...I have read a wealth of info here and I am a bit overloaded..could any of you more experienced members just head me in the right direction..sure would be helpful...Thanks ahead of time....Rob

Hammock
    dbl layer SBPro & GT Nano 7
    Tarp
    Funky Forest Tarp
    Insulation
    no sew SPE/ Sb Uq
    Suspension
    tree sling/huggers
    Images
    What kind of hammock do you have. There are a number of tarps available. I own the Kelty Noah9( http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___22048)as well as the Funky Forest tarp from Travel hammock(http://www.thetravelhammock.com/prod...nky_forest.htm). Thayboth have worked wellfor me. Also JackrBetter offer some tarps as well as Ed Speers from Speerhammocks.
    Chris

I have ordered a travel hammock double...for the size, material, weight .limit, and price. Would like to get a 12x12 camo tarp...So, I can use it for other things if need be...

Images
    One thing that will be nice for you with the bad knee would be the ridgeline. You can use it to help get yourself out of the hammock, thus reducing most of the pressure on your knee...

For answers to many questions from new users, I always suggest this site:

http://www.tothewoods.net/HammockCamping.html

He also has many things to learn from in the homemade gear section:

http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeGear.html

For the tarp, I don't think anyone has mentioned OutdoorEquipmentSupplier:

http://www.outdoorequipmentsupplier.com/maccattarps.htm

Great prices and Brian is a member here. Many people have been satisfied with his products...

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by robgcp View Post
    :...I am a large man,270, with one knee replacement and another in my future, I looked into hammock camping for this reason, difficult getting off the ground after a cool evening and my arthritis screaming at me...But I love the outdoors, don't want to quit, and figure this might be the way for me to keep going...I have read a wealth of info here and I am a bit overloaded..could any of you more experienced members just head me in the right direction..sure would be helpful...Thanks ahead of time....Rob
    I have a similar mobility issue but for slightly different reasons. I have extreme difficulty getting off the ground. Last year I fell and bent a tent pole when I landed on my tent. If you find it difficult to deal with a top loader, you might try a Hennessey. They are more expensive than the Travel Hammocks and I see that price was an issue in your desicion. The great thing about a Hennessy is the bottom entry lets me get in and out with absolutely no pressure on my knees and legs. It is the only hammock where I have been able to easily and gracefully get in and out. (Gracefully being a matter of perspective. I was once compared to the birth of a rhino.)

In short, if the travel hammock does not work out the way you would like, don't give up until you have the opportunity to check out a hennessy. Some folks don't like them. Others like me find they have a new lease on the outdoors because of the them.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Thanks, I just wanted to "test the waters" so to speak, that is why the cheap route...If I have difficulties I will try the hennessey, and then if it does not work out, will sell it here...I too fell this April, and ended up falling thru my friends tent, very embarassing...He said , no problem, and ended up just going out and getting a camper..Tho I still go with him at times, I miss camping under the stars...and don't like camping with people next door watching tv, kids riding bikes, and colored lights strung up looking like a circus..need the stars and moon...and the sounds of crickets and tree frogs to put me to sleep...but, if hammock camping does not fit the bill, I refuse to "get a camper" I will invent the first ever big cripple winch to get me on my feet

Hammock
    Big Guy Bridge
    Tarp
    Superfly!
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Hope and prayer
    Images

Smile

I'm going the same "cheap" route... I picked up a SBPro from another forum member and got an inexpesive 10x10 tarp from here: http://www.bigrockoutfitters.com which looks very nice.

Add a bit of rope, some rings, a dozen Figure 9's and I'm still under my original $100 budget.

I was planning on going on my first trip next weekend but tropical storm Fay may but a damper on that....

Jim

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Don't get me wrong... I am all for the cheap route. But mobility issues and the cheap route sometimes don't mesh. I just wanted to point out that if the hammock is the way to go... and I think it is... but a top loader doesn't fit the mobility issue there is an alternative. I have a two top loaders and my HH. One is a basic bridge I made for my wife. One is the DMB of grizz that I made just because. I've tried a couple of top loaders. I just don't have the power to get up out of them. Once I am on my feet I am ok for a while. The HH solves that. They show up for sale fairly frequently.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Thanks Rev..If I am comfortable in a hammock, and can't manage to get out of it easily, you bet I am gonna get a hennessy...just dipping in to the pool here...Rob

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    You may want to try making one that's only about 50" wide. That's what I use & I think it's probably easier to get out of as opposed to one w/ wider/higher sides.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast