Hammock
    WBBB 1.7
    Tarp
    Kelty

issues with the first night in my HH

I really like the idea of hammock camping but I was a little disappointed with the first nights sleep. I think I need something flatter. I've heard that bridge type hammocks give you a flatter sleeping position. Can you guys please give me advice on the best and flatest sleeping position. I would prefer an all in one kit, if possible .

Images
    A bridge is def the flattest option out there for what I have tried, and is probably my over all favorite hammock. Still, some of my other non-bridge hammocks are flat enough, and sometimes I choose them for various reasons. Maybe to use a specific insulation that won't work on a bridge, or because I don't feel like dealing with the spreader bar and/or bar/tarp issues.

Can you give more detail about what your exact complaint is?

EDIT: I think the new JRB UL bridge is still on sale until tomorrow morning, for maybe 12 more hours!
    http://www.jacksrbetter.com/BMBH.htm

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7
    Tarp
    Kelty

Cheers

I guess I just couldn't get comfortable enough to go to sleep until hours of laying there. One thing I did notice is the line above my head was super tight. That may be normal, I'm not sure. At home I'm a stomach and side sleeper.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter1812 View Post
    I guess I just couldn't get comfortable enough to go to sleep until hours of laying there. One thing I did notice is the line above my head was super tight. That may be normal, I'm not sure. At home I'm a stomach and side sleeper.
    A lot of folks have trouble falling asleep in a hammock of any kind, just because it is a weird change hanging in the air and not getting into the positions you are used to, even if very comfortable. I have always had this problem X 10 if testing in the back yard, what with all the noises(ear plugs help). And again, it just aint natural if your bed and wife are just a few yards away. But rarely I have used my hammock in the house and fallen right asleep.

I have never had that trouble with any hammock on the trail, where I sleep that profoundly deep hammock sleep. I'm sure being tired from hiking helps.

BTW, which HH do you have? The big old Safari is one of the flattest hammocks I have used, pretty close to a bridge.

Hammock
    Clark NX150, HH DJ Zip XL
    Tarp
    Clark Camo
    Insulation
    TQ UQ By HG 3 seas
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Not to overstate the obvious, but were you at a diagonal ? The more on the diagonal, the straighter the back.

Hammock
    HH Explorer UL
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x10
    Insulation
    AHE Potomac
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Don't let the first nights issues get you down. There is a learning curve to hammocks that you don't have with a tent. My first few nights I hardly slept at all. I kept sliding down and squirming back up to where I thought I should be.
    I felt like my feet were way above my head....it just felt strange. Having a pad in the hammock with you takes away from the ability to get a flatter lay. The angle of your suspension and a host of other things can affect your experience greatly.

Hang in there...it's worth it.
    " I have not yet begun to procrastinate!"

• + New Posts