Henny Asym
    Tarp
    Hex-Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Adjustable Slings

Talking Fellas, I Think I'm in Love...

Just got back from my first test run of the Hennessey Hammock!

I'll be taking it out camping for real testing in a couple weeks, but I couldn't resist checking it out today. I ordered through REI and got it yesterday, and I've been chomping at the bit

I went down to the local park (trees at my apt are just too far apart from eachother. A short look around the park pond and I found a stand of trees at workable spacing...on the side of a 45deg hill/dike.

Oh well, no matter

Setup was stupidly easy, as the Youtube video I checked out beforehand had revealed, and I was up an running... er, sleeping, in about 15 minutes. Only had to adjust 1 knot. My hammock was the Expedition Asym Zip, so I unzipped the side entrance, test-bounced on the thing a few times (I don't trust my knot skills yet) and flopped in.

I've tried a couple store bought hammocks recently, a large "brazillian" parachute hammock, and a slightly smaller bug-netted hammock of similar construction. Both were back-benders, and were too narrow to get much of a flat diagonal lay. The thin ripstop stretched precariously almost immediately, and after a couple hours use, I'd find myself FEET below my starting point (well, my butt, anyway). Provided absolutely no mosquito protection to my backside, until I sewed a layer of netting to the underside in a last ditch effort to make the thing usable.

Enter the Hennessey: I'm not sure what the proper diagonal angle to lie on is (feet toward long or short side) but I didn't find that it mattered much. The thing was just so **** comfy no matter what I did. The body material (nylon) felt like thick cordura compared to the parachute junk, but still had a good texture. Probably thicker than it needs to be, but it eliminated any stretch (no sagging after several hours) and looks thick enough to stop mosquito teeth. I'll be hosing it down with permethrin nonetheless. The bugnet is a wiry sort of texture, which somehow doesn't attract twigs and debris like every other nylon netting material I've used.

The rain tarp was a slight let down. I'd heard it was on the small side, but I found the real issue was the asymetrical shape. Because the point on the "triangle" of each side of the ridgeline is not centered, you really have to guy out to a tree in a particular direction. Any tree outside that narrow sweet spot leaves part of the tarp slack and flapping in the wind.

Regardless, in mere minutes I had a peaceful perch over utterly untenable terrain for groundlings

I have a DIY project to finish that I think shows promise, but... *yawn* I may have less free time to spend now than I used to...

TCB
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    Congrats on the new love!! I still enjoy my HH pieces.
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    Another post I missed....it's getting more difficult by the day to keep up with them.

Congrats on your set-up, new hobby, and new love

Hammock
    Wilderness Logic Night OWL
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Pheonix 3s, te-wa
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I too musta missed this! Way to go SteelToe! I have and still use my Hennessy quite a bit too! If you are comfy yer doin it right!
    I like refried beans. That's why I wanna try fried beans, because maybe they're just as good and we're just wasting time. You don't have to fry them again after all.

I have one of the older style HH expeditions (not asym) The small tarp was such an issue, I purchased a used Hex tarp. With the smaller one, it was such a pain trying to center it correctly. I woke up one night with a trickle of water from a rain storm flowing down my back. I have also used Whoopie slings. They are a lot easier than the Hennessy knot.

Glad you have something that works for you. send more feedback.
    / \ /+\
    | ||
    |-|| ___
    | ||
    | | \__|

Hammock
    DD modular jungle hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension