Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Pheonix/Burrow 3S
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Help with Pheonix

I've tested out the Pheonix with a WBBB 1.0DL

My issue - it's not snug against my mid back - I've been warm - but getting a little draft.

I have tightened up the main shock cord about 6" and the ends are about 3" tighter on each corner

any suggestions?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl xlc
    Tarp
    HG cuben
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch bkls
    I usually needs to be much tighter than you first think. Mine took up about 2 feet of slack. Ymmv. Be patient and get an assistant that will make the process go more quickly.

David

Hammock
    WBBB,WBRR,DIY
    Tarp
    HG WP,WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies&DutchGear
    Images
    Pull your main suspension so tight that it "lifts" your hammock up about 6 inches. Also, if you have someone to help you, get in and have them adjust your UQ until all the gaps go aways...or vice versa.

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by raiffnuke View Post
    Pull your main suspension so tight that it "lifts" your hammock up about 6 inches. Also, if you have someone to help you, get in and have them adjust your UQ until all the gaps go away...or vice versa.
    +1, I pull my suspension on my UQ so tight that its practically eye level before I get in (ok a bit of an exaggeration but you get the point I pull it guitar string tight)

Also if you cinch up the head and foot end to much that can also create air gaps so play around with it a bit.

Which Phoenix is it btw the way?

Also in cold temps elastic stretches (I know its the summer but just for general knowledge) so you also have to compensate for that as well.

It takes some time to dial in but once you do you'll know it cause you will start to roast.
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Pheonix/Burrow 3S
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I have it so the phoenix is holding up the hammock and the shock cord on phoenix is almost as high as the ridge line on the WBBB.
    but once I get in and scooch around and get comfy , If i reach through hammock and UQ theres still a 3-5" gap on my back - shoulders and butt are snugged up and I can pull up the sides and snug it close but seems to sag

LAZY RIVER ROAD - it's last years phoenix
    I'm gonna try loosening up the corners to see if that helps (gonna give that a shot tomorrow)

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Pheonix/Burrow 3S
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Thanks for the suggestions

Fits MUCH more snug now.

I tightened up the main suspension another 6" (a total of 12" tighter than the stock length)
    It pulls the WBBB way up - the ridge line is really slack before i get in but fine after i settle down.

I loosened the head corners almost all the way (about 1.5" of cord out of each cord lock) and have the foot end with about 2" cord out of each cord lock

I also found that I prefer to lay in the WBBB with my head to the right of ridge line and feet left of it. (instead of head left and feet right in footbox)
    Thanks Again.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    HG: CF 4S
    Insulation
    HG: TQ. UQ
    Suspension
    WS and Dutch Hooks
    I am having a similar problem with my 20° Phoenix. My shoulders and butt are warm, but my back is cool. No CBS here. I was thinking I might need to get a thin pad to go under me!

It doesn’t feel bad when I go to sleep, but at 4 AM, it is waking me up. I have tried tightening the secondary suspension shock cords on either end about 3-4 inches, but from the sound of the posts I will need to pull them a lot more. It just feels like the quilt is hanging under my back; snug on the top, bottom and sides.

I was out in the backyard Sat night with virtually no breeze and a low of 55°. In my tent, on my NeoAir, in a 45° Mountain Hardware Lamina, I would've been very comfortable. So it concerns me to wake up chili with a 20° underquilt at 55°. I thought maybe my legs being a little cool was part of the problem. Not to get off topic, but I am using a Z-Rest sit pad in the foot packs of my 20° Burrow (which coincidentally is too warm for our current night time temps in the south). The CCF pad is wide enough for the sewn foot box of the Burrow, but not long enough to make it up to the end of the UQ to say the least. But that is probably not it. My next thought was that I may have tightened the secondary suspension too much and am compressing the down underneath me. It appears that may not be the problem either.

Next chance I get to camp in the backyard, I am going to pull on the secondary suspension shock cords until I think they are way too tight and work backwards from there. Hopefully, I will be feeling hot and uncomfortable like I should at 55 degrees.
    "When you see something wobble, push it."
    - Unknown

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    GoLiteTQ/3SPhoenix
    Suspension
    DG whoopies + MSH
    Images
    From posts I've seen on here and my personal experience, I think your best bet is going to be to use the primary suspension and tighten that. Most people suggest taking about 12 inches out of it, in some way, shape, or form.

The secondary suspension will tighten the UQ to the hammock as well, but because the primary suspension runs the length of the side channels, I think it will do a much better job of pulling the sides up and thus tightening the UQ under your rump.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Maybe I'm doing something wrong, 'cause the only time I get drafts on my 20* Phoenix is in sub-25* weather, always around 4 am. I didn't even know that elastic loosens in cold weather so that's probably my problem.

Anything over 25 degrees, I just jump in the hammock and go to sleep - no adjustments necessary.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    HG: CF 4S
    Insulation
    HG: TQ. UQ
    Suspension
    WS and Dutch Hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by Corncob View Post
    From posts I've seen on here and my personal experience, I think your best bet is going to be to use the primary suspension and tighten that. Most people suggest taking about 12 inches out of it, in some way, shape, or form.

The secondary suspension will tighten the UQ to the hammock as well, but because the primary suspension runs the length of the side channels, I think it will do a much better job of pulling the sides up and thus tightening the UQ under your rump.
    I I'll try tying a knot in the primary suspension cord to temporarily shorten it by about 12" and then see how how that works.
    "When you see something wobble, push it."
    - Unknown

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast