Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Hammock
    DIY Asym
    Tarp
    DIY 2-mil Plastic
    Insulation
    DIY Down Torso
    Newbie here... would a rectangular tarp design work OK hung on the diagonal like an Asym tarp? I'm thinking 5'x9' or so. The simplicity of the Asym appeals to me, as well as the cost savings. I am also interested in flexibility, a rectangular tarp would pitch easier on the ground, wouldn't it?

I need a tarp to go over my newly-finished asym hammock!

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite, WBBB 1.1dbl
    Tarp
    Equinox 8'x10' sil
    Insulation
    WM blue pad
    IMG_0415.jpg

Here is my newly finished DIY asym tarp. All of the supplies came from DIY gear supply. Materials and tarp turned out great in my opinion. Just ordered supplies to make a winter tarp! I want to make the ridgeline 12' instead of 11'... I'm assuming I could split the extra 12 inches of length into 3 segments (since there are three cat cuts on the side). Which would basically mean that each of the three cat cuts on the side would gain 4inches. Does this make sense or is it more complex than what I'm making it?

Hammock
    DIY Gear Supply pattern
    Tarp
    8x10 Hex
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & slings
    Congratulations! That is one nice looking tarp.

Quote Originally Posted by WVbackpacker View Post
    I want to make the ridgeline 12' instead of 11'... I'm assuming I could split the extra 12 inches of length into 3 segments (since there are three cat cuts on the side). Which would basically mean that each of the three cat cuts on the side would gain 4inches. Does this make sense or is it more complex than what I'm making it?
    I've only made a hex tarp so far, so I haven't had to deal with doors yet. But, it seems to me like adding extra length to all three sections would effect how the doors come together. It might be safer to just add the extra length to the center section so the doors stay the same.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End/Knotty MOD
    Tarp
    DIY Asym/Chinook
    Insulation
    CCF
    Suspension
    Spike/Whoopie
    WVbackpacker, did you make that asym tarp using the dimensions from DIY Gear Supply or did you do use custom dimensions? I just ordered the materials to make an asym tarp and am not sure which dimensions to use. My hammock is a DIY gathered end that is 9'6" in length.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Equinox 8'x10' sil
    Insulation
    WM blue pad
    I made mine with the dimensions from DIY gear supply. I tested it with my Hennessy hyperlite and it fit it perfectly. Not sure the length of the hennessy...

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End/Knotty MOD
    Tarp
    DIY Asym/Chinook
    Insulation
    CCF
    Suspension
    Spike/Whoopie
    Thanks for the info. I can't wait to get started making the asym. I have a chinook tarp which works great, just looking to go lighter.

Hammock
    DIY double 1.1 ripstop
    Tarp
    DIY winter tarp
    Insulation
    Cheap foam pad
    Suspension
    DIY whoppie/strap
    I think I'll order some 1.1 ripstop seconds and make a winter tarp. I've already waterproofed an Asym tarp I've made. So waterproofing the ripstop shouldn't be an issue.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Equinox 8'x10' sil
    Insulation
    WM blue pad
    Donstin - The finished weight of my diy asym was 8.5 ounces which includes everything from the reinforced corners with webbing and plastic d rings... everything except the guylines. Definitely pretty light weight... Good luck with your tarp!

Hammock
    Tarp
    Equinox 8'x10' sil
    Insulation
    WM blue pad

Winter/2 person tarp

I have finally finished my DIY winter tarp. All of my materials came from DIY gear supply and are all top notch (even though the sil is 2nds). I used the design from the website with a few minor alterations. I wanted a tarp to be able to fit 2 hammocks under so I made the ridgeline 12' long instead of 11'. I also made the center cat cut 1.5' longer than the original plan, and left the doors the same dimensions (Thanks Murl for the recommendation to add the extra material to the center- it worked out fine). The fabric was also 65" wide, which made the tarp come out a little wider than the design, which is better for my application. This tarp took me a while to complete, but mind you I am a complete DIY newbie and a small apartment and cat also complicate matters . Thanks Scott for the designs and materials!

IMG_0429.jpg

IMG_0435.jpg

Hammock
    1.1 dbl ge double strech-side
    Tarp
    Tadpole/ Superfly
    Insulation
    HG- TQ,UQ- DIY PL
    Suspension
    Whoopie,D Buckle
    Images
    When I made my first tarp, I wish I had these plans. I now have them for my second. One thing that I did and will do on the next is to make the cat cut, I used a piece of flexable rod, (like a tent pole), place the rod long the bottom edge, then push the middle up to the depth on the cut, mark and cut. A few different weights to help hold the of in place. The first one, I started to measure and mark, using the math, it was a PITA, got a few feet in, looked at the design, looked at the rest of the numbers, and bam, it is just a curve, why not find an easier method. Works like the post with the thin piece for wood and string.
    I'm a member of PETA!!!!

People
    Eating
    Tasty
    Animals

• + New Posts
  • Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast