Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by headchange4u View Post
    I have entertained the thought of a HH pod, but with the side tie-outs and the HH weird entry method I gave up becasue I thought it may be difficult entering and exiting the hammock.
    yep... sounds like a job for the jacks!!!<G>
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Images

MacCat Delux

Billybob,

I have a new MacCat standard. I used it w/ my HH BPUL 2 weeks ago, good coverage.

I used it with my LEKIs for a traditional tarp set up on the ground this week. Good protection from the cold rain.

I highly recommend the MacCat. Brian makes a quality product.

Egads

Images
    I have an Explorer and a MacCat Deluxe. No problems with rain or snow. Im with everyone else in that site selection is key! This was reinforced on the Mt Rogers trip with the snow. My hammock was actually set up on a North/South line (because I was one of the last people to get there and had to take what trees were left) instead of an East/West line (preferred in winter). However, the head of my hammock was positioned directly against a Rhodendron thicket which protected me from the wind as well as the snow. So, site selection is one of if not the BIGGEST FACTORS in staying warm in a hammock IMHO. BD
    Just Jeff made me do it

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blackbishop351 View Post
    Has anyone thought of making a Hennessy pod? I think it could be done, and it might not even be that difficult. You'd just have to add a slit to match the entry on the hammock.

I thought about using sil for part of my hammock sock. I also thought about spraying one end like you're talking about here. The Mt. Rogers trip was my first real field test with the sock, though, and I wanted to see how it worked before I modified it.

Conclusion - the sock is PLENTY water resistant the way it is. I had windblown snow under my tarp and on the sock all night Saturday night, and didn't get wet at all.
    I would stay far away from sil for a hammock pod/sock/enclosure. I made a test sock out of my nylon supplex I ordered that said it was WPB. It is too heavy for anything of use. I left the head end open. I woke up with a lot of condensation on me, my bag, my hammock, the sock, pretty much everything. I could run my hand over my bag and see and feel the mosture in my hand. This was in my back yard over a few hours. I think breathable is everything on this.

This is why I put some non coated ripstop on the top section of my pod. I did a little test in front of my fan with sil, DWR, and uncoated. I could not tell a difference with my head next to the fabric with the fan directly on the other end. I think there is a small difference. But not much.

I think the sock just traps in heat. With your tarp, no reason to worry about coverage for snow or rain.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by headchange4u View Post
    If you are talking about the overcover in the HH Super Shelter Sytem it's actually untreated nylon (from HH site):
    Good catch. I'm almost positive I saw a sil one a while back...maybe it was one of the earlier models or something. Thanks for the correction.

A pod for the HH wouldn't be too tough...just make it fitted on the head end, then put a HH-style opening on the foot end. Like a Nest, you could velcro it to the HH opening for easy entry/exit or you could mate it to itself for better protection. Maybe even put a little flap of silnylon to act as an eave near the top of the opening. You could even put connectors on for the side tie-outs.

But I don't like the idea of not being able to see out from inside the hammock. That's why I like the zipper on the TravelPod...I can lay with my whole body inside the hammock and just stick my head out, or I can zip it all the way. Find a way to do that with a pod on a Hennessy and you'd have a good project!
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12