Hammock
    ENO Double
    Insulation
    Thermarest
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images

Why change straps?

I've been doing a lot of reading here lately and it seems that most people here seem to change the straps that come with their hammocks.

I've got an Eno Double nest and it seems no one like the slap straps that they sell. What's wrong with them? Why does everyone change them out?

I'm also thinking of getting a getting a claytor jungle Hammock. Every thread I read usually starts of with " After changing the straps". What makes everyone change this straps so fast? Also if stock straps are that bad why don't the manufactures make the changes that I see done here so often?

I was reading a bit about the custom Ring Buckle Supports, that just Jeff does. It seems that a lot of people here really like that set up. What make it so much better than the stock set up on most hammocks?

Finally, does anyone use the stock straps that came with their hammock and find no need to upgrade?

I think that both those hammocks use nylon straps which are prone to stretching.

John

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Welcome to the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by domromer View Post
    I've got an Eno Double nest and it seems no one like the slap straps that they sell. What's wrong with them? Why does everyone change them out?
    MrPrez is correct. The ENO straps are made of nylon, which is prone to stretch a lot, especially when wet. Either polypro webbing, or preferrably polyester, is a better choice.

Also, the 'SlapStraps' aren't as adjustable as some of the other suspension designs. Because when using them you just clip the carabiners into the sewn-in loops, you can only choose from those positions rather than what is actually best for the conditions.

I'm also thinking of getting a getting a claytor jungle Hammock. Every thread I read usually starts of with " After changing the straps". What makes everyone change this straps so fast?
    The stock Claytor hammock straps are very prone to absorbing water. When you're camped in incliment weather, this quickly presents a problem by wicking water to the fabric of the hammock itself.

Now, there are a few methods to reduce/eliminate this problem (tying knots in the webbing, or using drip strings, etc), but those approches have given varying results, depending on the person. It's so easy to just change to a different suspension method/material that many don't bother to work the issues out of the stock webbing.

Also if stock straps are that bad why don't the manufactures make the changes that I see done here so often?
    We'd all like the answer to that question. Claytor (as an example) doesn't have an official presence on this forum, sadly, so it hasn't been addressed directly.

I was reading a bit about the custom Ring Buckle Supports, that just Jeff does. It seems that a lot of people here really like that set up. What make it so much better than the stock set up on most hammocks?
    The ring/cinch buckle suspensions are infinitely adjustable. You can specifically tailor the length of each side of the suspension to precisely match what you need for any given hang. Also, they also require almost no knot-tying.

The ring/cinch buckle suspensions are heavier than some other approaches, though. Webbing, even the lightest weight products, are heavier than a similar length of quality dyneema cording.

If you read through the 'suspension' subforum, you'll see that there are a multitude of suspensions that are being discussed, aside from the ring/cinch buckles, although those are indeed very popular.

Finally, does anyone use the stock straps that came with their hammock and find no need to upgrade?
    Certainly, there are quite a number of members here that use the stock method. It is worth noting, though, that many people here have more than one style of hammock, and they may use a different suspension method on each.
    Last edited by angrysparrow; 08-17-2008 at 22:09.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    ENO Double
    Insulation
    Thermarest
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Wow, thanks for answering my questions. That helps a lot.

Hammock
    DD modular jungle hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    I've been doing a lot of reading here lately and it seems that most people here seem to change the straps that come with their hammocks.

I'm also thinking of getting a getting a claytor jungle Hammock. Every thread I read usually starts of with " After changing the straps". What makes everyone change this straps so fast? Also if stock straps are that bad why don't the manufactures make the changes that I see done here so often?

after years of hammocking i switched to the ring buckle set up on all my hammocks,its easy,quick and hassle free.neo
    the matrix has you

Hammock
    ENO Double
    Insulation
    Thermarest
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    I think I'll try it out. I'm a gadget head, so anything, that is lighter, faster better..I gotta give it a try. Now I need to see if I can source all the material locally.

Images
    I think I'll try it out. I'm a gadget head, so anything, that is lighter, faster better..I gotta give it a try. Now I need to see if I can source all the material locally.
    There is no matching the convenience and speed of adjustment of a cinch buckle(or ring) system, IMO. At least not by any of the manufacturers. (Although, the tri-glides are pretty good.) Plus, the system automatically solves water wicking problems.

But there is a definite weight and bulk penalty, plus time and money. For example, the stock Claytor is significantly lighter and less bulky. And really, it's not half bad as far as adjustment speed and simplicity. No match for the cinch buckles, but not bad. I have the stock Claytor on one end and CBs on the other, and it really doesn't amount to a big difference during set up most of the time.

But, I do have more reach with my ring buckle and carabiner/webbing than any other, which is helpful with big trees or long distance between trees. Since I have 12 feet of webbing and I don't have to wrap but once around the tree. So there is an advantage, but I could just use longer Claytor webbing, probably with a good bit less weight.

Personally, I have less stretch/sag with my Claytor hammocks than any other I have tried, with or without the stock webbing. And at first I had bad water wicking problems with that webbing, but lately added knots seem to have adequately solved that for me, even without using a drip line. But if it didn't, I have also thought of just sticking with the stock webbing, adding a short piece of it through the channels with a ring on each end. Then a longer piece of the stock webbing attached to one ring, then around the tree and back to the other ring. Attach with same slippery half hitch suggested by Claytor. This would add the weight of 2 rings to each end, for the main purpose of ending all wicking worries. I think it would still be lighter and less bulky than my cinch buckle/webbing.

On the down side, I have no idea what the weight (strength) rating is on that Claytor webbing. For all I know, it is much weaker than the other webbing I use. But, Claytor does use it on a Jungle Hammock rated at 400 lbs., so maybe not.

When I am using them, I really enjoy the cinch buckles, and they are far preferable to any thing else I have used. But then I have to consider how little time I actually spend setting up any of these systems on the trail, compared to hiking all day. and then I have to contrast that inconvenience against a few ounces extra weight plus bulk.

To me, at the other extreme from the CBs is a rope and tree huggers( as in HH), which combined with trees with low branches, can be a real PITA. But still, you are talking about a few extra minutes every time you set up camp, maybe a few more if you have to undo and adjust. But still, not a huge deal, and very light and strong.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock ThunderBird
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben 7X9
    Insulation
    JRBSierraSniveller
    Suspension
    ring buckle system
    Images
    I stuggled a long time with the HH rope and tree saver system. It just takes too long to set up and then a whole lot longer when you have to readjust it after sitting or laying in the hammock and everything stretches out. Then I got a Claytor and their set up system was a lot easier. But that half inch webbing didn't look too strong to me, plus using their suggestions, you had to half the amount of webbing you had, which made wide hangs or really big trees difficult to use. These are things you don't always have a choice with when your out hiking.

Then I discovered the ring buckle system here on this forum. What a difference! A couple more oz, actually maybe only one and half oz more and after a hard day of hiking I no longer have to fool with it. Adjust it, sit in the hammock, maybe adjust once more for stretching (less than a second) and everything is good.

Mind you, some of the ring buckle "systems" I've seen here don't make a lot of sense, particularly if you are backpacking. You have to be careful about adding too many components. All you need is some webbing and four climber rated aluminum rings (two at each end) or two strong cinch buckles. I've seen some systems with the rings, several biners, etc. Keep it simple and you'll love it.

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bear bag hanger View Post
    I stuggled a long time with the HH rope and tree saver system. It just takes too long to set up and then a whole lot longer when you have to readjust it after sitting or laying in the hammock and everything stretches out. Then I got a Claytor and their set up system was a lot easier. But that half inch webbing didn't look too strong to me, plus using their suggestions, you had to half the amount of webbing you had, which made wide hangs or really big trees difficult to use. These are things you don't always have a choice with when your out hiking.

Then I discovered the ring buckle system here on this forum. What a difference! A couple more oz, actually maybe only one and half oz more and after a hard day of hiking I no longer have to fool with it. Adjust it, sit in the hammock, maybe adjust once more for stretching (less than a second) and everything is good.

Mind you, some of the ring buckle "systems" I've seen here don't make a lot of sense, particularly if you are backpacking. You have to be careful about adding too many components. All you need is some webbing and four climber rated aluminum rings (two at each end) or two strong cinch buckles. I've seen some systems with the rings, several biners, etc. Keep it simple and you'll love it.
    JRB Tri-Glides are the lightest hardware approach to no knot hanging for 1 inch webbing.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    Hennessey summer, lightest winter
    Tarp
    JRB 10x11 in skins
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 & SierraSv
    Images
    They stretch and yer butt winds up on the ground. Yep, I tried a pair.
    I'm also thinking of getting a getting a claytor jungle Hammock. Every thread I read usually starts of with " After changing the straps". What makes everyone change this straps so fast?
    They stretch and wick water. Yep, I tried 'em.
    Also if stock straps are that bad why don't the manufactures make the changes that I see done here so often?
    Beats me; ask them.
    I still use my Hennessey ropes and huggers when I use the Hennessey during bug season -- they don't stretch or wick and I found them easy to use after a little practice (note some others vehemently disagree). But I've changed out my Treehugger (ENO-type) and Claytor no-net straps for homemade solutions that suit me.
    Last edited by Hector; 08-18-2008 at 11:05.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast