Tarp
    Kelty's Noah 12
    Insulation
    DIY bottom quilt
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by GadgetUK437 View Post
    Interesting.
    Just tried it here and all the boxes in the input column are editable.
    Which worksheet do you find the problem, the Metric Input sheet, or the Imperial Input sheet?
    (note - you cannot edit the imperial figures on the metric sheet and vice-versa on the Imperial one)
    That's the issue.... I was trying to edit an imperial value on the metric sheet
    Just your average kayak-paddlin', fish-stalkin', gun-totin', hammock-hangin' Critical Care Paramedic

Hammock
    DIY ROBIC 1.2 double layer
    Tarp
    Kelty's Noah 12
    Insulation
    DIY bottom quilt
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    So, I'm finally about to bite the bullet and attempt my first UQ. According to the calculator, my outer shell fabric needs to be 62.46 inches wide for a 48" wide UQ with 3" baffle height. Problem is, my fabric is only 58" wide. What are you guys doing to make up for the lack of width? I'm assuming that 7" of that is used to box the sides of the quilt 3," so couldn't I just add that 7" to the bottom fabric instead?
    Just your average kayak-paddlin', fish-stalkin', gun-totin', hammock-hangin' Critical Care Paramedic

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    DIY Xen Sil winter
    Insulation
    WB Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Kayak_Medic View Post
    So, I'm finally about to bite the bullet and attempt my first UQ. According to the calculator, my outer shell fabric needs to be 62.46 inches wide for a 48" wide UQ with 3" baffle height. Problem is, my fabric is only 58" wide. What are you guys doing to make up for the lack of width? I'm assuming that 7" of that is used to box the sides of the quilt 3," so couldn't I just add that 7" to the bottom fabric instead?
    I’m not sure how each calculator is doing it but I see the “walls” as not part of the differential...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.”

Hammock
    DIY ROBIC 1.2 double layer
    Tarp
    Kelty's Noah 12
    Insulation
    DIY bottom quilt
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
    I’m not sure how each calculator is doing it but I see the “walls” as not part of the differential...

I used the calculator from this thread. I decided a 44" wide UQ would be sufficient. If you look at my results, you'll see the wall around the quilt is figured into the outer layer. You can see this when you multiply the outer layer baffle width by 9 since that's how many baffles it's calculating for. You'll see the calculator adds 7" in both directions to count for the 3" wall and 1/2" seam allowance.

Screenshot_20180202-003613.jpg

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    DIY Xen Sil winter
    Insulation
    WB Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    The added width problem is real

I’ve asked Dutch for example if we can get a wider calendered fabric - basically not possible at this point.

If you want like 65 inches then the only option is to cut extra lengths of fabric and sew them on to effectively widen the fabric

Most just narrow up the UQ to where is works

I made my wife an UQ that had 3 inches of loft - got the same result as you and sewed on added width

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.”

Hammock
    DIY (BASHIN)
    Tarp
    DIY 'winter' tarp
    Insulation
    DIY CS UQ
    Suspension
    whoppie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GadgetUK437 View Post
    Looks like Deopbox won't let me change the permission settings unless I upgrade to "professional" (bah humbug).
    Have you tried the link to the one on the forum,
    Attachment 157672
    Thanks for sharing your update!

Hammock
    12' Double from seller on the site
    Insulation
    Down for both TQ&U
    Quote Originally Posted by CatSplat View Post
    When I started out making my DIY down-filled underquilt, I knew I would need to calculate my overall material size to have a sufficient amount of outer shell material to accommodate the "lumps" inherent in the differential design, as well I would have to calculate the required amount of down to fill the baffle volume. The Red River Gorge Underquilt How-To provides some nice starter calculations for fill volume but lacks the means to calculate the outer shell area. As tends to be habitual for engineers, I fired up Excel and created a spreadsheet for calculating material requirements and down fills for underquilts based on the cross-sectional area of the baffles.

The sheet allows you to specify your finished quilt dimensions and baffle design, and will return material dimensions for construction and the amount of down (for an input fill power) required to fill it. Down fill can be adjusted via the Over/Understuff field or by directly altering the "Total Oz. of Down" field.

Two experimental features are also included:
    - An approximation of the quilt's overall weight (minus suspension) based on the material sizes, fabric weights, and down, with 15% allowance for stitching and seams.
    - A VERY experimental calculation of the quilt's theoretical temperature rating, based on the published design specs for some Underground and HammockGear quilts.

I've attached the sheet for the community's perusal, please give it a look and feel free to suggest any improvements to be made. If you want to un-protect the sheet to play with the formulas, the password is "hammockforums".

-Trevor
    Thanks a lot for making that! I used it to help calculate mine! Worked out really well.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Asym & Safari
    I realize this is an old thread but,
    Can anyone tell me if any of the calculators were accurate for a winter rated UQ?
    I'm looking to make a -20 ish UQ and have seen some serious differences in ratings and finished weight.
    I'm thinking 4.5" baffles on a 45" wide with 8 or 9 baffles.
    Also wondering if anyone knows the difference in horizontal vs longitudinal baffles?

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk
    I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. ~Thomas Edison

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY Bridge
    Insulation
    DIY Down
    It works, I have made a few -20C quilts ....

Also, when you are using taller baffles like that, having a few more is likely better, because it tends to stay vertical, as they get wider baffles can sort of "smush". There is actually a thread that posted a suggested aspect ratio between height and width ... maybe some one else will remember and post that.

Brian

Hammock
    HH Explorer Asym & Safari
    Thanks Brian!
    I've started my own build thread.
    How many baffles do you think? Vertical or horizontal?

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk
    I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. ~Thomas Edison

• + New Posts
  • Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast