Aluminium Tensahedron

I really liked the idea of the commercial Tensahedron stand, but USPS prices to Aus are becoming a bit of a deal breaker - so I thought I'd have a go at making one albeit somewhat larger and heavier than the commercial version. I've made this out of 32mm x 3mm alloy tubing each 2.7m length consisting of 3 900mm sections joined with a 300mm insert of 25mm x 3mm riveted in one side and slipped over on the other. Tension seems to hold them in place nicely. I had some amsteel loops/pigtails in my assorted kiting gear, so used them to connect the poles and sewed up some slings to suit. It weighs around 11.5kg - a bit heavier than I'd like but easy enough to chuck in the car when we go camping or to set up in a clear area if I want to stargaze. Ridgeline works out to around 12ft plus/minus 6 inches on the adjustment. I was really surprised at how sturdy and secure it all felt when I jumped into the hammock. It will be interesting to try out the Draumr in it next.

IMG_2326.jpgIMG_2325.jpg

Works nicely with the Draumr. Probably should have set the stand a little steeper for some extra clearance around the foot end. I was also surprised at how little tension is on the ground anchors with the hammock in the center.

It turned out great! I need to work on something similar as I work out of town a lot and would like to sleep in my hammock in hotels.

Looks great

I might have a go at one myself!

• + New Posts