WBBB 1.1 dbl + TTTG Switchback
    Tarp
    OES SpinnUL 11x10
    Insulation
    Nest, Hudson River
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Stingerz

Spiderwire Dyneema Fishing Line

Don't know if this has been asked before, but has anyone tried using Spiderwire line for sewing thread on any DIY projects. Comes in several different strengths (in pounds) and I think the smaller diameters would work as thread for sewing. I can assure you you can't break this stuff with your bare hands, at least not most of us. It is tough and requires a sharp blade to get a clean cut.

I'm thinking this could be used for edging seams, corner reinforcements, or other places that have higher tension forces.
    Rockdawg69

It's a long way to the top if you want to Rock and Roll ----- those hills!!!

Professional Prevaricator: Part-time dealer in Yarns, Tales, Half-Truths, & Outright Lies -1st half-hour session at no cost (Lawyers and Doctors excepted).

Hammock
    DDCamping/HennessySafari
    Tarp
    Etowa10/10silnylon
    Insulation
    GL TQ /Yeti&AHE UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopee slings
    Images
    I have and it is amazingly strong tough to work with but unbreakable!
    High ground is dry ground!
    Moondoggy

Hammock
    Tarp
    OES SpinnUL 11x10
    Insulation
    Nest, Hudson River
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Stingerz
    Quote Originally Posted by Moondoggy View Post
    I have and it is amazingly strong tough to work with but unbreakable!
    What strength line and what size and style needle did you use?
    Rockdawg69

Professional Prevaricator: Part-time dealer in Yarns, Tales, Half-Truths, & Outright Lies -1st half-hour session at no cost (Lawyers and Doctors excepted).

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    In general, I think I'd prefer that stitches fail before other, more expensive things. There may be exceptions.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    Henny Asym
    Tarp
    Hex-Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Adjustable Slings
    Well designed seams fail at the fabric away from the stitching, so simply making the stitching stronger won't get you a higher ultimate capacity. But I'll bet it's wear resistance is incredible relative to thread. Would probably be a good choice for attaching gros-grain and closing exterior seams on packs.

Just keep stretch in mind when stitching seams parallel to loads, so you don't concentrate a bunch of tension loads in the threads themselves. Even if the spider braid doesn't fail, it will cut right through the fabric. I learned early on in school, fasteners (rivets or thread) work best in pure shear loading.

Also depending how slippery this stuff is, it could too easily slide through the fabric during use, sawing at it (especially if it is a much harder polymer) or just coming loose. I've heard folks around here mentioning these issues with full size Amsteel cord and knots.

TCB

Hammock
    Tarp
    OES SpinnUL 11x10
    Insulation
    Nest, Hudson River
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Stingerz
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelToe View Post
    Well designed seams fail at the fabric away from the stitching, so simply making the stitching stronger won't get you a higher ultimate capacity. But I'll bet it's wear resistance is incredible relative to thread. Would probably be a good choice for attaching gros-grain and closing exterior seams on packs.

Just keep stretch in mind when stitching seams parallel to loads, so you don't concentrate a bunch of tension loads in the threads themselves. Even if the spider braid doesn't fail, it will cut right through the fabric. I learned early on in school, fasteners (rivets or thread) work best in pure shear loading.

Also depending how slippery this stuff is, it could too easily slide through the fabric during use, sawing at it (especially if it is a much harder polymer) or just coming loose. I've heard folks around here mentioning these issues with full size Amsteel cord and knots.

TCB
    Good info here. Thanks. It definitely is slippery (some has Teflon incorporated) and I also thought about it having such high strength that it might eventually cut through the fabric under the certain loading conditions/locations. Agree with the thought about using on gros-grain.
    Rockdawg69

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Rockdawg69...I think you have a solution looking for a problem. The stronger polyester threads are strong enough for our needs. Even standard polyester thread will take care of most hammock needs.

Hammock
    Tarp
    OES SpinnUL 11x10
    Insulation
    Nest, Hudson River
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Stingerz
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    Rockdawg69...I think you have a solution looking for a problem. The stronger polyester threads are strong enough for our needs. Even standard polyester thread will take care of most hammock needs.
    Agreed. I've been using those for years and have had no problems.

Sometimes things just pop in your head when you are focused on the other activities in life - like which one of these fishing lines do I want to spool up for hauling that 10 lb bass out of the lily pads. Dyneema line! ahh-ha! What else can I do with that?
    Rockdawg69

Hammock
    DIY headessey
    Tarp
    blackcat
    Insulation
    primaloft tq/uq
    Suspension
    whoopies & huggers
    Images
    I've actually sewn with 75# once. I was stitching aluminum sheets together with a Ti wedge point needle size 26. It was great for that, but for fabric I would not reccomend.
    --If a cow laughs hard, does milk come out its nose?

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images

interesting

sewing aluminum sheets together

• + New Posts