Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Graybeard View Post
    Complicated subjects require complicated explanations. This one is well done. Congratulations.
    I found that just reading it left me confused but taking the time to study it was well worth the effort. Thanks for making the effort to share it.
    Thanks Bob.
    Youngblood AT2000

Hammock
    WL Night Owl
    Tarp
    WL Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    Quilts + Body Fat
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I have a very tough time with pads in hammocks from the testing I've done. So much so, I refuse to use them. Maybe it's because I'm such a big guy but, when using a pad in a double layer hammock such as my DD, the top layer of the hammock sticks to the pad and the top bunches up and doesn't conform to my body properly. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, I don't know but I just can't get a comfortable hang with a pad in the pocket.

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    just curious pan, since it seems you are dead set against using a pad,

what do you do, or suggest others do, when they are at the bottom end or below their jrb quilts comfort range?

WBG,

I'm not dead against using a pad..... I'm against using wide, full length wrapping pads as a back sweater. YMMV...

JRB make 18 models ouf quilts with conservative temp ranges down to zero, with the new Mt Washinton UQ..... Just as one top bag does not do well for the year round camper the same is true of quilts... A great gear locker will have multiple UQ for multiple seasons IMHO (remember I'm biased).... So my preferred answer to your question is select a quilt for the expected range.

Alternatively many folk have JRB top and under quilts, since the corner tabs and side ladder loops align they may be stacked if heading out for that occasional winter hang then use an existing bag for the top.

In a pinch if weather is worse than expected, a sit pad under the butt/hip area will add a lot with minimum to no sweat issues.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post
    I sleep on a non breathable, insulated air mat year round. It's just as nonbreathable as a ccf pad.
    Having a layer of fabric between me & the air mat helps take care of dispersing perspiration.
    Slowhike, et al,

A Dam style infatable has tubes which form valleys which, as others have noted seem to help disapate the sweat/nonsensible sweat issues... Thus while it is a non breathavle material it has some vent like breathability....Yours is a tube type, right?

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TiredFeet View Post
    A second question for Peter_Pan - you have explained in the past that you tried using pads in the hammock, but for various reason they didn't work for you.

Did you ever try using one under the hammock instead of in the hammock?

I notice that your BMBH is double layer for a pad - the sensible way to use a pad in my experience, instead of laying directly on the pad itself. Like slowhike's experience
    TiredFeet,

Yes I have tried pads below the hammock......

I do agree that if one desires to use a pad; it is easier, less hassle and agruably better if it is below or in a "double bottom".

The JRB Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock has a built in pad pocket that will accept full length pads up to 26 inched wide and 2 inches thick.... It also has under quilt attachment loops... These features are provided to allow the users to chose whichever approach they desire.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter_pan View Post
    WBG,

JRB make 18 models ouf quilts with conservative temp ranges down to zero,

Pan
    Pan,

i don't see any temp ranges for your uq's anywhere on your site, can you point me to them, because i'd love to look at them.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Slowhike, et al,

A Dam style infatable has tubes which form valleys which, as others have noted seem to help disapate the sweat/nonsensible sweat issues... Thus while it is a non breathavle material it has some vent like breathability....Yours is a tube type, right?

Pan
    Yep, that's correct. But I did use a ccf pad for a while before discovering the insulated inflatables.
    I don't remember having any major sweating issues w/ the ccf pads but then I used thoughtfulness in how I adjusted everything for a comfortable sleeping temperature... adding & taking away as I needed.

The insulated inflatables are just more comfortable (though they require some effort to inflate), but if temps are likely to be very cold (say down into the 30s) I like to use an under quilt also.
    I could get away w/o the under quilt sometimes, but it's just so NICE & WARM<G>.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Images
    Slowhike, et al,

Pan
    The tubes in DAMs are due to the internal baffles that help it keep its shape. Those valleys disappear under you body when you lay on the DAM and it compresses some. If they didn't compress the DAM would be hard and not very comfortable; also any vents caused by valleys would circumvent the conductive insulation the DAMs provide and they wouldn't keep you very warm. DAMs provide a lot of insulation.

I have known people that don't use them in moderate conditions in hammocks because they overheat and sweat when they use them in moderate conditions. In moderate conditions they may switch to uninsulated air mats or insulated air mats that aren't as warm as their DAM and are more comfortable in moderate conditions.
    Youngblood AT2000

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Youngblood View Post
    The tubes in DAMs are due to the internal baffles that help it keep its shape. Those valleys disappear under you body when you lay on the DAM and it compresses some. If they didn't compress the DAM would be hard and not very comfortable; also any vents caused by valleys would circumvent the conductive insulation the DAMs provide and they wouldn't keep you very warm. DAMs provide a lot of insulation.
    This is true. I believe the fabric like outer cover of the DAM, along w/ clothing, help w/ dispersing perspiration.
    The wicking type clothing help in the same way when you use a ccf pad, & if you use a Segmented Pad Extender (SPE) that helps even more to disperse any perspiration.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Custom dragon
    Tarp
    Custom made cuben
    Insulation
    custom peapod
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    I dont see a MT washington quilt on the Jacks site?

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast