Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I try to be consistent. If something has a higher probability in life than my gear being stolen, then I should be more afraid of that. But following that through, I would probably never leave the house to drive to the trail head.

My kayak is worth several thousand dollars, yet I leave it on the beach with everyone else's - rather than carry it up to camp and chain it to a tree. It would be easy for someone to walk away with my carbon fiber paddle if they were so inclined. But I can also choose to not worry about it - or rather, deal with life as it unfolds. That doesn't mean I leave the house/car unlocked or not pay attentions to various environments - it's a balance.

I could be a little concerned that a hammock is more of a curiosity for hikers on the trail and they might come closer to check it out. And coming closer, they might be more tempted to "take a souvenir". But again, I could follow that rabbit down a deep hole of worry.

After a few raccoon attacks, including one where they carried off non-food times (paddling bootie) for several yards, I've started playing around with small battery powered motion sensor lights. One on the picnic table and one by my hammock. That way, if I hear a noise, I can at least see what the critter is. And of someone approaches my hammock or I return to it at night, for a few minutes it is lit up. I pay attention to the light "footprint" so I don't interfere with others who aren't interested in the experiment.

These days I am playing with a DIY gear hammock that is waterproof (including flap cover) and only needs trees about 5 ft apart. I don't keep it near me unless the trees dictate that.

Food is usually hung from a tree away from camp but sometimes it is in sealed containers on the table. So far, where I've gone, I've been way up on the food chain. I know that is not the case in all locations.

Hammock
    shopping for new gear
    Insulation
    Tequila
    Suspension
    Prayer
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon360 View Post
    I tend to never leave it to have a need to secure it. It goes where I go!
    Roger that, I would set up and take down to pack it with me on any hike, unless things would be monitored. I ain't leaving my toys unattended...
    "Not all who wander are lost." J.R.R. Tolkien

Hammock
    shopping for new gear
    Insulation
    Tequila
    Suspension
    Prayer
    Quote Originally Posted by Owl View Post
    I'm like Dragon...my gear is either in my pack, or setup with me in camp right by it.

As far as securing it while I'm sleeping...my backpack is almost always under/right next to my hammock, under my tarp with me. Everything not in my hammock is always secured inside my backpack so I can grab it and go if there's an emergency, with the exception of my shoes. (gotta get those on the feet to successfully go! LOL!)

Anyone stupid enough to try to steal from me at that range...get that close to me while I'm sleeping outdoors...must really, really need my gear.

No more or less risk to my gear than someone sleeping in a tent.
    Plus, I'm packin', so...
    "Not all who wander are lost." J.R.R. Tolkien

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123