Tarp
    blackcat
    Insulation
    primaloft tq/uq
    Suspension
    whoopies & huggers
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Clinton View Post
    He also has a Lewis suger? Also, not sure on spelling.
    Yeah, overlocks are nice but they aren't all purpose like some other styles. If the price is right and you have room/cash for both, could be nice.

I don't think I've ever heard of a Lewis serger though
    --If a cow laughs hard, does milk come out its nose?

Hammock
    DIY dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY hex
    Insulation
    DIY 3 season tq+uq
    Suspension
    webbing, again
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Clinton View Post
    I spoke to the guy and he said it was a walking foot sewing machine. Would this work for rip stop?
    It may be a walking foot, but it still looks like a button machine to me.

http://losangeles.ebayclassifieds.co...e/?ad=16295152

http://www.amazon.com/Consew-241-1K-.../dp/B004L7878K

I have a Singer 211u566 compund feed (needle feed + alternating walking presser feet) industrial machine I use for canvas and upholstery. It is "da bomb" to borrow a phrase. I have not had success sewing the thinner stuff. Even using a smooth presser foot vs toothed presser feet, I had some problems. Mine was with the tension disks, I could not get them to back down enough to keep my thread from breaking or my bobbin tension was off. it's a big change going from v92 and v138 down to v30 and from #20 needles to 9s.

If it were my only machine, Im sure I could get it to work if I continued to work upper and lower tension, but since it's dialed in for canvas, I didn't want to change it. I know others who have had no issues with it.

No way in $&@# do you want an industrial serger unless you really know what your doing. Sergers are great for clothing construction and putting things together. They aren't many uses on a hammock or tarp because they don't hem well or at all, depending on model. If you want one, get a home model because someone will offer classes on how to use it and you'll be able to sell it later if you want.

I have 3 "industrial" sewing machines with clutch motors and I have a little experience adjusting and timing them. I am considering a serger but would not get an industrial style with a clutch motor.
    Last edited by nacra533; 05-30-2012 at 21:22. Reason: Links

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 Double / Eno Double
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    NA for now
    Suspension
    Whoopies Web
    The guy selling it has no clue and I think is just trying to dump the machine off on someone who knows nothing. It is a button machine....
    http://consew.marginspluslive.com/im...structions.pdf

same exact one stated in that manual.

As for the surger that looks to be a setup for a blind stitch machine. Craigslist post is here.

Here is the condew
    http://stlouis.craigslist.org/bfs/3037981759.html

Here is the lewis.
    http://stlouis.craigslist.org/bfs/3037988090.html

Hammock
    hh safari
    Tarp
    hh hex 1.3
    Insulation
    jacks nest
    Suspension
    woopie slings

button machine

As others have stated that is a button sewing machine and a very old model at that.Your frend thinks its a walking foot becouse the foot moves the button backand forth instead of the needle moving from hole to hole like on a home machine.No good for anything but sewing on buttons and hard to set up for that. If u need a machine buy a vintage kenmore. Or maby a viking at a yard sale but try it before u buy it.
    Good Luck

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Ain't no way that's a serger. Sergers have multiple threads. IMO stick to people who know what they have. This guy is clueless.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    DIY headessey
    Tarp
    blackcat
    Insulation
    primaloft tq/uq
    Suspension
    whoopies & huggers
    Images
    Definitely not a serger, that is a true blindstitch. Hooked needle makes nice hems on dress pants, but it's not very useful for gear making.

I was thinking that sure didn't look like a walking foot.
    --If a cow laughs hard, does milk come out its nose?

Hammock
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    NA for now
    Suspension
    Whoopies Web
    I called the guy and he was baffeled i told him it was a button stitcher. He thanked me and is going to reclassify his product.... Still searching for a good stitcher. Thanks guys for the info.

Hammock
    HighlandWare
    Tarp
    Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Down UQ
    Suspension
    HW Buckle & Web
    Not sure if you're still searching for a machine, but a local sewing machine repair shop should be able to help you get what you need to set yourself up without putting much $$ into it. A simple machine to get started and then sell and upgrade later as you get into it.

Reading through this thread, I can relate to the experience of misinformed machine owners selling injectors they have no clue about. I've been buying old industrial machines at decent to awesome prices from many folks around my parts who also have no clue.

What I've been running into is people who buy an industrial sewing machine knowing very little about the industrial side of things and not really taking the time to learn about the machine. Perhaps they had plans to start a sewing/seamstress business but things didn't pan out and the machine was left forgotten sitting in a garage, basement, or attic. One day they're cleaning things out and they see this monster hiding in a dark corner that's taking up space so they list it on Craigslist or the local paper to get rid of it.

I managed to get a severely neglected lockstitch machine, clean and repair it, then turn around and trade it for a bartack machine that needed a little TLC from a local industrial sewing machine dealer who didn't have the time or desire to refurbish the machine (he took it in trade from someone else). Good deals are out there if you're willing to work for them!

Any sewing machine that faces the front like the picture you showed at the beginning of this thread is either a bartack machine or a buttonhole machine (both different classes of the same kind of machine).

My local industrial sewing machine dealer also repairs and resells domestic sewing machines (your basic home machine that even Wal-Mart sells), so you might look there first if you're inexperienced and want to run into as few problems as possible.

Hopefully, though, you've already found the perfect machine and have been injecting thread like it's nobody's business!

Hammock
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    NA for now
    Suspension
    Whoopies Web
    Yes I found a singer 251-12 in perfect condition!

Hammock
    Lite Owl; Light Hiker
    Tarp
    Toxaway;MacCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Burrow; Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Let me just say thank you for calling it a sewing machine.
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Trail Issues? Please let me know.
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast