WBBB 1.7 Double / Eno Double
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    NA for now
    Suspension
    Whoopies Web

Thoughts on this sewing machine

A friend of mine's mother has a machine for sale, said she would let it go to me for 250$ works etc. Dont have all the details. Here is a pic.

Consew industrial.
    Is it worth it??
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    What do you want to do with it?
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    DIY dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY hex
    Insulation
    DIY 3 season tq+uq
    Suspension
    webbing, again
    Images
    It's hard to tell from the small picture, but it doesn't appear to be a "sewing machine".

The lack of a presser foot made me think it was a free motion embroidery machine, but its not.

The heavy chain presser foot lift made me look closer and see a sideways presser foot probably, which tells me it's a probably a button sewing machine or a possibly a bar tack machine.

So...as asked, what do you want to do with it? Find out a model number, but I don't think you want it.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Industrial machines are less than ideal for a beginning DIY gear maker. They are wicked fast and can be really hard to handle for a novice. If you are an experienced stitcher and looking to do some level of production work you might find a use for it IF it is a a straight lock stitch machine.

However... if you are a novice or just looking to do your own gear... I don't think you would be happy with it.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

Hammock
    DIY headessey
    Tarp
    blackcat
    Insulation
    primaloft tq/uq
    Suspension
    whoopies & huggers
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    Industrial machines are less than ideal for a beginning DIY gear maker. They are wicked fast and can be really hard to handle for a novice. If you are an experienced stitcher and looking to do some level of production work you might find a use for it IF it is a a straight lock stitch machine.

However... if you are a novice or just looking to do your own gear... I don't think you would be happy with it.

With a nice servo an industrial is far easier to sew with IMO. Even the cheaper styles usually come with knee lift, allowing both hands to hold fabric. With a nice servo, back tack and trim threads are controlled with the nice large pedal and speed control is very easy.

However, this machine would not be a machine for a gear maker. Definitely looks like a bar tracker, so it won't sew a straight line and most likely doesn't have feed dogs/ needle feed.
    --If a cow laughs hard, does milk come out its nose?

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Pag View Post
    With a nice servo an industrial is far easier to sew with IMO. Even the cheaper styles usually come with knee lift, allowing both hands to hold fabric. With a nice servo, back tack and trim threads are controlled with the nice large pedal and speed control is very easy.
    I've used a knee lift and it can be nice under some circumstances. However, I have found that I don't use it enough to make it a desirable feature. If I had one I would use it occasionally but... eh... I don't turn enough corners at high speed to make it important to me.

There's no question that a pedal foot control is easier to get the hang of than those stupid button controls, but I'm not sure if I would care enough about the pedal size for the kind of stitching I do.

If you do tailoring or small parts stitching all that can make make a difference. But for the average home gear maker.... if you want to spend the money.... you won't throw it down the drain. But it seems overkill to me.

Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

Hammock
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    NA for now
    Suspension
    Whoopies Web
    I spoke to the guy and he said it was a walking foot sewing machine. Would this work for rip stop?

Hammock
    DIY headessey
    Tarp
    blackcat
    Insulation
    primaloft tq/uq
    Suspension
    whoopies & huggers
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Clinton View Post
    I spoke to the guy and he said it was a walking foot sewing machine. Would this work for rip stop?
    Walking foot could sew ripstop nicely. There are some variations to walking foot sewing machines (needle feed, alternating Presser foot, compound feed) and i think a machine with needle feed is ideal for slippery fabrics like ripstop. I have a needle feed and a compound feed machine, I don't sew ripstop with the compound but I certainly could.

As far as knee life I think you love what you're used to and i personally see being able to hold the fabric with both hands makes handling slippery fabrics much nicer. Also for the price of a featherweight you can get a juki ddl5500 with knee lift, servo and trimmers nowadays. I would consider that a huge upgrade over a 221. The real downside of an industrial is the size.
    --If a cow laughs hard, does milk come out its nose?

Hammock
    DIY dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY hex
    Insulation
    DIY 3 season tq+uq
    Suspension
    webbing, again
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Clinton View Post
    It may be a walking foot, but it still looks like a button machine to me.

http://losangeles.ebayclassifieds.co...e/?ad=16295152

http://www.amazon.com/Consew-241-1K-.../dp/B004L7878K

I have a Singer 211u566 compund feed (needle feed + alternating walking presser feet) industrial machine I use for canvas and upholstery. It is "da bomb" to borrow a phrase. I have not had success sewing the thinner stuff. Even using a smooth presser foot vs toothed presser feet, I had some problems. Mine was with the tension disks, I could not get them to back down enough to keep my thread from breaking or my bobbin tension was off. it's a big change going from v92 and v138 down to v30 and from #20 needles to 9s.

If it were my only machine, Im sure I could get it to work if I continued to work upper and lower tension, but since it's dialed in for canvas, I didn't want to change it. I know others who have had no issues with it.

No way in $&@# do you want an industrial serger unless you really know what your doing. Sergers are great for clothing construction and putting things together. They aren't many uses on a hammock or tarp because they don't hem well or at all, depending on model. If you want one, get a home model because someone will offer classes on how to use it and you'll be able to sell it later if you want.

I have 3 "industrial" sewing machines with clutch motors and I have a little experience adjusting and timing them. I am considering a serger but would not get an industrial style with a clutch motor.
    Last edited by nacra533; 05-30-2012 at 21:22. Reason: Links

Hammock
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    NA for now
    Suspension
    Whoopies Web
    The guy selling it has no clue and I think is just trying to dump the machine off on someone who knows nothing. It is a button machine....
    http://consew.marginspluslive.com/im...structions.pdf

same exact one stated in that manual.

As for the surger that looks to be a setup for a blind stitch machine. Craigslist post is here.

Here is the condew
    http://stlouis.craigslist.org/bfs/3037981759.html

Here is the lewis.
    http://stlouis.craigslist.org/bfs/3037988090.html

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast