Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

HELP! Tent to hammock .. A.T leaving ASAP.

Ok, went to pack up my tent and noticed a small problem .... **** rainfly has several holes ... looks like a moth or something had a field day ... I'm looking to switch to a hammock setup since this came up like i've wanted for awhile ... any advice on brands by price/quality .. i have a noah 9 tarp but if i can get something better decently priced quickly ... i was supposed to leave sunday! ...

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    If time is your main priority, then REI carries the Eno hammocks. You can also pick up the bugnet and UQ from there as well. But leave the slap straps on the hook.

Instead get a set of polypro ratchet straps from a big box store and remove the hardware for inexpensive tree huggers. Hit up a chaundlery (such as West Marine) for Amsteel to make whoopie slings to replace the heave rope the Eno uses.

Next best option is to order from Hennessy and see what they have in stock and can ship to you before your departure date.

Good luck on your hike.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx and Burrow
    Suspension
    Strap and Buckle
    Wilderness logics has great stuff that is reasonably priced. They also have awesome costumer service and I'm sure Marty could get you your stuff real quick (relatively speaking) it's worth an email at least
    The camper formerly known as HikingDad...

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Why the change to hammocks so suddenly?

My intent is not to be rude, but this seems like a bad idea based on the info you've provided. Have you used a hammock system before? Are you doing a southbound thru, or just out for a few days? Hammocks are a marvelous improvement over tents, but they still require a little time to learn. Learning on the AT when you're dead-tired, probably isn't the best place. If you're already a hanger, then please forgive my assumptions.

More importantly if you're a thru, you're going to be spending a lot of, what you hope, will be quality time in your hammock. Get the wrong setup because you're trying to move quick could have some fairly steep consequences. It will also probably be much heavier than you would like if you're buying off the shelf stuff to go with it.

Again, I apologize if you're already a hanger and know what you want, but I still think buying in haste is going to leave you disappointed in the long haul. And it is a loooooong haul on the AT. If you think you'll be fine, I agree with the Hennessy purchase. You can get everything you need at one spot with a quick turn-around. Won't be an ideal setup, but it will work just fine.
    Trust nobody!

Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Why the change to hammocks so suddenly?

My intent is not to be rude, but this seems like a bad idea based on the info you've provided. Have you used a hammock system before? Are you doing a southbound thru, or just out for a few days? Hammocks are a marvelous improvement over tents, but they still require a little time to learn. Learning on the AT when you're dead-tired, probably isn't the best place. If you're already a hanger, then please forgive my assumptions.

More importantly if you're a thru, you're going to be spending a lot of, what you hope, will be quality time in your hammock. Get the wrong setup because you're trying to move quick could have some fairly steep consequences. It will also probably be much heavier than you would like if you're buying off the shelf stuff to go with it.

Again, I apologize if you're already a hanger and know what you want, but I still think buying in haste is going to leave you disappointed in the long haul. And it is a loooooong haul on the AT. If you think you'll be fine, I agree with the Hennessy purchase. You can get everything you need at one spot with a quick turn-around. Won't be an ideal setup, but it will work just fine.
    No worries, i don't blame you .... I have slept in hammocks and tried a friends while he was out on a weekend with me a few weeks ago and liked it ... I'm doing this in haste only because i was intending on leaving sunday morning, packed my msr reflex only to find the rainfly in need of repairs ... so i thought i would take the moment to switch over which is something i've been wanting to do for awhile but liked my tent setup too ... now i have an excuse. I'd be willing to wait till tuesday or wensday to order the right stuff ... And yes, i'm gonna be thru hiking ... i started back in march but hurt my knee during a rain storm ... i'm resuming with a flip flop style march from jersey to maine then sobo to finish ... I should be ok, i learn quick. But i completely agree with what you're saying ... if it wasn't me, i'd be concerned. =)

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by darkage View Post
    ... if it wasn't me, i'd be concerned. =)
    Fair enough.

Just go with the understanding that you will likely be wanting to make some adjustments along the way. You might want to start with a pad for insulation, as opposed to an underquilt. If you're having problems with something in your setup (it does happen) at least you'll be able to sleep as comfortably as possible on the ground, or in the shelters. After a month, or so, you can order an underquilt to be sent to you at a future town stop. The Hennessy Hammock Super Shelter is effective, but far from "super" for most new users. They require, in most cases, a fair amount of tweaking from their users. Plus, they are very bulky. An underquilt is light and warm, but can be expensive. If your heart is set on an underquilt, few offer faster turn-around than Jacks R Better.

I still think a Hennessy will be the easiest to learn on the fly and you'll get a tarp included; consider an upgrade to a larger one, but not necessary. You'll want to change the suspension at some point, just to reduce weight and make life a little easier in camp. Luckily, you can build yourself a nice suspension while sitting around camp with some extra Amsteel and 30 minutes of your time.

There should be lots of hammock hangers out there, do not hesitate to ask them questions. They may not all be members here, but as hangers they should share a certain level of helpfulness. It seems to be a common trait; probably from a good night's sleep. Also, when you do go into town, get on Hammock Forums and ask specific questions about problems you're having. We will get you straight quick.

Have a great hike and relish every moment. Especially the bad ones.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.1 & 1.7
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG Incbtr-AH Potmc
    Suspension
    WB Adj Web
    Images
    The kids (and at 33 I call you a kid cuz I'm old and creaky) these days use iPhones so darkage won't even have to wait to get into town to ask questions. The standard Hennessy tarp is pretty small and takes some getting used to. I think the free upgrade to a hex tarp is a good idea. I carry a ccf pad along with a uq. But I am a belt and suspenders guy AND I am not hiking long distance. If you go with the Hennessy I would recommend the zipper style. The bottom-entry was a PITA for me and top entry just give you more flexibility with your set up.
    Post up and let us know how things are going while on the trail!
    The road to success is always under construction.
    http://hikingillinois.blogspot.com/

Hammock
    DIY speer type
    Tarp
    OES Maccat
    Insulation
    JRB Nest+ORM
    Suspension
    Webbing + Slings
    Images
    Good hammock camping over view: http://tothewoods.net/HammockCamping.html (founding member of this forum's site.)

if you go with a pad in the hammock for underwarmth, here's a link direct to the pad bit of that site
    http://tothewoods.net/HammockCampingWarm.html#Pads

Basically you need a wider pad since on the ground you lay on top of it, but a hammock wraps up around you, compressing your insulation.

Now, if you're leaving Sunday, how about just taking a pad, groundsheet, your kelty noah, and maybe purchase a bug net from rei/etc and you've got an UL set up? (But have to sleep on the ground.)

TH
    my hammock gear weights total: 2430g (~86oz)
    Winter: total 2521 (~89oz)
    (see my profile for detailed weights)

gram counter, not gram weenie!

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    Golly gee whiz. Not usually the way we recommend going about things. I'll let the more experienced answer where you should order your stuff. All I can do is wish you the best of luck.

Hammock
    Lite Owl; Light Hiker
    Tarp
    Toxaway;MacCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Burrow; Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I had the same concern as Cannibal. However, since it's not a totally new concept to you it may work ok. I'm not a fan of the stock Hennessy tarp at all since it only protects you inside the hammock and doesn't give you any option to sit outside the hammock if it rains, snows, etc.

Now knowing where you're going or for how long it's a little hard to make recommendations. Due to your timeframe, though, your best option might be to go with something like an ENO or any other backpacking hammock you can find at a local outdoor retailer. If you go ENO don't do the slapstraps since they tend to stretch.

I actually don't see any problem using the SuperShelter if you get a Hennessy. I used mine to stay toasty in the low 20s. However, you can't go wrong with a nice, down UQ. I'm still up in the air about synthetics.

Good luck!
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Trail Issues? Please let me know.
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast