Thread: going too far

going too far

Ok so, complete hammock beginner here. Did a month long AT hike and came home extremely jealous of those fellows hanging in trees.

So far I have:
    Gear Guide 11' Tarp
    Nano 7 Grand Trunk Hammock
    Random and poor suspension that I had laying around
    various sleeping bags for a top quilt
    walmart 20" pad I had lying around

I started by looking for a pad to replace the walmart pad, because it's just too small. but most wide pads are around $40, and it just so happens that the materials in the DIY under quilt costs around $50... needless to say I'm going to try my hand at making that instead. Aaaand since the S&H is $8, I might as well order everything I could possibly want or need... and so here I am.

Stuff I'm going to try:
    * An under quilt
    * Insect netting. I don't need one hanging, but if I go to ground I'll probably want one.
    * Gathered end double hammock. I need help here on the type of nylon. As far as I can tell, there are three types of nylon: 1.1oz or 1.9oz ripstop nylon, the more expensive silnylon, and then something called plain weave nylon. What do I get here for maximum weight support, and just how much weight will that be? Pack size and material weight are not an issue with this one, as this wont be taken backpacking.
    * Maybe a down top quilt, and new suspension sometime soon. I don't trust the webbing I'm using.. cheap stuff.

And one more question, what's the micro cell foam like on that backwoodsdaydreamer website? I don't see any DIY threads on it, but I'd imagine it'd make a cheaper solution to a wide sleeping pad. Or is it a different kind of material?

The guides all seem very informative, but any unwritten tips or warnings are appreciated!

Tarp
    OES Cuben 4 Season
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie/MSH
    Images
    You probably don't want sil-nylon for the hammock body. It does not breathe, and will make you feel clammy.

Some other folks have passed this along: Crinkle Taffeta Tablecloths
    I have not tried this myself, but I think it will become my next hammock when I pass mine off to my son this fall.

I made an under quilt from IX and the supplies and plans found at backwoodsdaydreamer, it was a huge improvement in comfort and I am very happy with it.

Be sure to pick up some Amsteel with your order for whoopies if you want to try those out. It's pretty easy to make those, and you'll need something anyways when you make that new hammock.

Hammock
    DIY dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY hex
    Insulation
    DIY 3 season tq+uq
    Suspension
    webbing, again
    Images
    I prefer a dbl 1.1 hammock. It gives options for a pad between the layers, but I always use an UQ except in the summer when I put a neat sheet between the layers to keep the breeze off my back. With my 3/4 UQ, I stick my foot pad/ sit pad between the layers in cooler weather and it stays put. Even with the UQ, I like the lay of the dbl 1.1.

I am a fan of the crinkle nylon if it's what I have in my ENO DN, which I believe it is. If I were making a another, and I've made quite a few, I would go with a single layer of crinkle, because I have a couple UQs already or dbl 1.1 if I was starting out with a pad with plans to upgrade to an UQ. The hot and humid I the only tie the crinkle feels better to me. Other times I have on Long johns or something.

If your stuck with a pad for a while, check out the segmented pad extender (SPE). I think there are guides here, but I think Speer hammocks originated it or at least named it.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Since your sound like a backpacker, weight is probably a fairly high priority. So, you may not want to overbuild a hammock. Tell us how much do you weigh and we can perhaps save you some pack weight.

Whoopie slings made from Amsteel combined with shorter tree straps will save more weight. You will need 13' of 7/64" Amsteel for each end of the hammock. The length of tree straps depend on the size of your trees - I use 5' straps which will go around an 18" diameter tree. The straps should be polyester only and 1" wide. You can buy Whoopie slings already made or make them yourself. It's pretty easy but habit forming!

Stay away from silnylon for hammocks or quilts. Save that for tarps.

Long hammocks are more comfortable. For luxurious comfort, add 5' to your height. To save weight, add 4' to your height.

There are differences of opinion on hammock width. I personally think 54" is optimum because it saves weight and I don't feel any loss of comfort. Others rave about their wide hammocks. The jury is out.

As a temporary pad solution, you can duct tape sections of cheap Walmart blue pads together.
    Last edited by MAD777; 05-31-2012 at 21:21.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    Since your sound like a backpacker, weight is probably a fairly high priority. So, you may not want to overbuild a hammock. Tell us how much do you weigh and we can perhaps save you some pack weight.

Whoopie slings made from Amsteel combined with shorter tree straps will save more weight. You will need 13' of 7/64" Amsteel for each end of the hammock. The length of tree straps depend on the size of your trees - I use 5' straps which will go around an 18" diameter tree. The straps should be polyester only and 1" wide. You can buy Whoopie slings already made or make them yourself. It's pretty easy but habit forming!

Stay away from silnylon for hammocks or quilts. Save that for tarps.

Long hammocks are more comfortable. For luxurious comfort, add 5' to your height. To save weight, add 4' to your height.

There are differences of opinion on hammock width. I personally think 54" is optimum because it saves weight and I don't feel any loss of comfort. Others rave about their wide hammocks. The jury is out.

As a temporary pad solution, you can duct tape sections of cheap Walmart blue pads together.

Ahh, confusing terminology. By a double hammock I meant a hammock for two people. I don't care what it weighs because I'll just use it at home or maybe at a local park.

Thanks for the info about everything!

Hammock
    DIY SL/DL Ripstop/DIY Taffeta
    Tarp
    DIY Hex/HH Hex
    Insulation
    PLTQ/Pad
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie/M Spk
    This is the pad I have used with no problems. It's an exercise pad from Hibbet Sports. Very flexible and soft, so it bends with the hammock. I also used this when I used to sleep on the ground in a nylon hut with zippers. I don't want to use the "T" word! It's now summer here so I'm using my PLUQ.
    It's a hammock thing, you won't understand!

The wife no longer kicks me out of bed after she saw a hammock hanging in the dog house.

• + New Posts