Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Knots?

I basically use sheet bend, taught line hitch, bowline and square knot.
    And really, with tree straps as far as what you NEED... sheet bend and taught line hitch will get it done.

Sheet bend a cord onto your tree hugger, wrap around the hook or biner on your hammock, and tie a taught line hitch to give adjust ability.

If you end up like most people, using whoopy slings you will probably want to learn about the marlin spike hitch.

Hammock
    Hammock Bliss Dbl
    Tarp
    Etowah
    Insulation
    WL XXL TQ, WL UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidWa View Post
    My list:

Lately I've become fond of using the pile hitch for connecting my line to tent pegs or stakes vs using a clove hitch or bowline. I do things a little different from most in that I connect my line to the peg and have a taut line knot or similar adjustable knot at the edge of the trap and not at the peg end. .

David,
    thanks for this. I've never tried a pile hitch, but definitely going to give it a spin. Using a clove hitch currently to connect to a tent stake.

big +1 on having the adjustable side on the tarp side!

Hammock
    HH Ex Deluxe, WBBB 1.7 DL, ENO-DN
    Tarp
    HH Hex-mesh skins
    Insulation
    KAQ Jarbridge/PLUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    +1 on this site.. I give this out to all my rope rescue students. I put this address up on the board the first day of class.. very helpful.
    ~Sonny~

Hammock
    WBBB Dbl 1.7
    Tarp
    BigMambaJamba w/po
    Insulation
    3s BM & Incubator
    Suspension
    straps
    Learn the Bolen/Bowline and Prusik knots.

Hammock
    WBBB,Travler
    Tarp
    SWT
    Quote Originally Posted by gator1981 View Post
    ... ...

David,
    thanks for this. I've never tried a pile hitch, but definitely going to give it a spin. Using a clove hitch currently to connect to a tent stake.

big +1 on having the adjustable side on the tarp side!
    Credit for using the pile hitch for a tent peg goes to Redoleary who posted it on youtube. Though I was familiar with the knot before it did not occur to me to use it beyond its original use as a boating knot.

The pile hitch holds well with line that has a bit of texture or has a rough feel to it.

If using line that is slick or kind of slippery, such as lash-it, you might want to use the double pile hitch.

Which will increase the friction and help it hold more securely. The double pile hitch also helps when using stakes that are round and smooth vs using pegs that are vee-shaped or Y-shaped in cross section.To tie the double pile hitch you just make an extra turn around the peg before placing the loop or bight over the top of the peg.

How to tie the Double Pile Hitch

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9-Ig...feature=relmfu

Generally my tarp lines are about 10 feet long and the pile hitch works well when I need to rig the tarp closer to the ground and do not need the full length. Such as when it is windy or rainy. Leaving my adjustable taut line knot at the trap edge.

If the weather is good and I want to go to porch mode I can quickly put a bowline knot in the end and then extend the length of the line by attaching another line to the end with a sheet bend. Making the line longer to go to a hiking pole or to a tree branch. Giving me an open view and more room under the trap.

Actually, you can leave a bowline knot in the end of your tarp line and use the pile hitch when you want to place the peg closer to the tarp but still retain the bowline in the end when you peg it at full length but also already have the bowline knot in place for when you want to attach another line with a sheet bend when you need a longer tarp line.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    none yet
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Ashleys Book of Knots (ABOK), is not mentioned enough. Although you can find the basic stuff online, this is a compendium of every knot. Decorative knots can make you money so the book ($100) pays for itself.
    God let me be the man that my dog thinks I am

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12