Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    GoLiteTQ/3SPhoenix
    Suspension
    DG whoopies + MSH
    Images

Chicago Basin (Colorado) - Advice/Suggestions Please

I'm coming up (June 21-24) on a trip to Chicago Basin and thought mention it on here in case anyone has some specific suggestions or must-do's while I'm there.

It's a trip with 3-4 guys. Tentative plan below.

Day 1) Leave the Vallecito Creek Trailhead mid-afternoon . Hike a few miles and make camp.
    Day 2) Hike up the Vallecito Creek Trail and over Columbine Pass into Chicago Basin. I think we're planning to camp in the Chicago Basin/Needle Creek drainage area that night.
    Day 3) Summit one of the nearby 14er's (definitely looking for recommendations/suggestions/tips on this part), return to camp and kick it. Is fishing allowed in this area?
    Day 4) Hike to Animas/Needle Creek Junction and hop the D&SNGRR to Durango.

I'm heading to Nebraska for a family reunion after this (everyone else is flying back) and have 1-2 nights before I have to be in Nebraska. Does anyone have any suggestions on cool places to camp between Durango and Denver? There's a ton of Colorado hangers on here, so I'm hoping to get some favorite places mentioned

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Are you taking the steam train into Needleton? I've always wanted to do that, but never seem to have the time.
    Wish I could help, but I have not yet explored that area.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    GoLiteTQ/3SPhoenix
    Suspension
    DG whoopies + MSH
    Images
    We're taking it from Needleton back to Durango on the way out. I'm really excited about that part.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Corncob View Post
    We're taking it from Needleton back to Durango on the way out. I'm really excited about that part.
    If you turn around and go up to Silverton, please look for the Gore-tex jacket I left in a Mexican restaurant back about 1987, send it to me if they still have it.

I have done that nearly exact trip that you plan back around 85, but in reverse and as a ground dweller. Too long ago to have any real advice for you as far as hanging. We did catch trout in some of the creeks.

There are plenty of trees along at least some parts of that route, trees might be scarce high up in the basin, can't remember. But these days, a major concern is always the condition of the trees after years of drought, leading to widow makers in abundance. Info re: this I have no idea about, but I do know so many areas throughout the west are devastated.

Here is one tip I can give you: watch out for the Porcupines! Especially along Johnson Creek, where marauding herds of PPs attacked us as soon as we got in the tents!

We were not "attacked" up in C. Basin, but a PP still chewed through the shoulder strap on my buddies NF Back Magic Pack. But he is still using a repaired version of that pack 27 years later. He use it on last years Saw Tooth Hike and his son used mine that I (stupidly) sold to him years ago.

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    You have a ton of wilderness between Durango and Denver,,wow,,I used to 4 wheel all over that area with a Jeep wrangler..theres tons of country to hang in, Used to be a backpacking/mt. climbing shop with maps in Durango,,I bought a pair of Asolo climbing boots for 200 bucks there about 79,,, jeeze,,giving away my age. God's Country! Heck,,Teluride was a Hippy Commune back then,,look at it now! All ritzy.
    2nd CAG, CAP 2-1-5 5th Marines, 1st Mar. Div.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Action_Program

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    GoLiteTQ/3SPhoenix
    Suspension
    DG whoopies + MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    If you turn around and go up to Silverton, please look for the Gore-tex jacket I left in a Mexican restaurant back about 1987, send it to me if they still have it.

Here is one tip I can give you: watch out for the Porcupines! Especially along Johnson Creek, where marauding herds of PPs attacked us as soon as we got in the tents!

We were not "attacked" up in C. Basin, but a PP still chewed through the shoulder strap on my buddies NF Back Magic Pack. But he is still using a repaired version of that pack 27 years later. He use it on last years Saw Tooth Hike and his son used mine that I (stupidly) sold to him years ago.
    It looks like I'll be driving up through Silverton, I'll be sure to interrogate the locals about the jacket

Any tips for keeping the Porcupines away? Am I going to be okay if I can run faster than my fellow hikers?

Hammock
    WBBB, DIY Double Layer
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    EE 20 / Phoenix20
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    I did a trip like this last summer with our scout troop. It was a bit different in that we took the train both ways. There are plenty of trees for hanging in the Chicago basin area. We camped in the basin and day hiked to Columbine Pass and did one of the 14ers (N Eolus -- I believe). Didn't see any porcupines -- but the goats were plentiful. Tons of them. They weren't scared of us and had no problem wandering through our camp sites from sun up to sun down. They didn't bother any of our gear or food though. They mostly seemed interested in our urine (for the salt).

It was absolutely gorgeous up there and I would love to go back. We also did some white water rafting on the Animas river from Needleton to Tacoma power plant and then picked up the train there back to Durango. I would also highly recommend the rafting.

Here are 2 things to do.

Hike ice lakes trail as a day hike. The th is almost directly west of silverton.

Stay the night at Orvis hotsprings in Ridgway 1 hour north of silverton.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    GoLiteTQ/3SPhoenix
    Suspension
    DG whoopies + MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SkullsFB View Post
    Here are 2 things to do.

Hike ice lakes trail as a day hike. The th is almost directly west of silverton.

Stay the night at Orvis hotsprings in Ridgway 1 hour north of silverton.
    Fantastic, thank you!!!

A little less strenuous of a hike would be to hike highland Mary's lake. There are so many to choose from around there.

Or summit courthouse peak outside ridgeway.

Summit Sneffles a 14000 ft peak.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast