Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    DreamHammock!
    Tarp
    DDXL/OESUltra
    Suspension
    AWS!!
    Youre probably 100% correct - it was late enough in the day we didn't even get out of the car. Seems that could make a good location for a get together - wanna call that the "first choice" pending a little "scoping"??
    You don't HAVE TO be crazy to be here - But I assure you it will help.....

Hammock
    Some Gathered End or Other
    Tarp
    DIY CamoHexMonster
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies and etc.
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by autolox View Post
    Youre probably 100% correct - it was late enough in the day we didn't even get out of the car. Seems that could make a good location for a get together - wanna call that the "first choice" pending a little "scoping"??
    Not my call. I'll check it out and report back though.

Tell you one thing though, there's a lake, hence the name. That campground gets ridiculous on holidays, so I'd avoid that at least.

hfg
    Some say I'm apathetic, but I don't care. - Randy

Hammock
    GT Dbl
    Tarp
    GG11'
    Insulation
    PLUQ+sleeping bag
    Suspension
    ENO AtlasStraps
    Quote Originally Posted by ShortTripHome View Post
    Big Meadows is a great strategic location for exploring the rest of the central section of SNP...
    I mentioned Big Meadows primarily because of location - a couple of hours from near about anyone in VA... We were there meeting up with DC friends and it sounded like the drive was about equal for both of us.
    I appreciate the consideration for a centralized location as I would be coming from near DC. While @ShortTripHome's suggestions (Sherando Lake, Saint Mary's Wilderness, Ramsey's Draft Wilderness, Mt. Pleasant Recreation Area, Tinker Cliffs/McFees Knob) sound great, some of them are pushing 3-4 hours drive for some of us -- that'll make it tough for some to wanna come out and hang.

But I'm just one dude, and I'll try and roll with whichever site is agreed upon that will provide some fun and hammockommunity!

Hi STH! don't miss the 2012 Fall MAHHA hang at Gathland State Park, Md. It is taking place the 3rd weekend in October & is a one hour drive for me from Fairfax, Va. Also, I hope some of us will get together for our 3rd annual fall hang at Dolly Sods in September, though I haven't heard about official plans yet.

Hammock
    DreamHammock!
    Tarp
    DDXL/OESUltra
    Suspension
    AWS!!
    Now that I'm back on the computer and not phone - I see the location of a few I wasn't aware of - I'm in Richmond, so, Sherando, anything along skyline are 2-3 hours from here.

hppyfngy - I would assume from your listed location that you probably have the most "boots on the ground" experience with the area...

Would some Northern VA'ers mind posting some 2-3 hour drive locations....

(I don't consider any of this my call at all - just hoping to help us all arrive at a mutually beneficial place. My opinion is that a location will be the first "hurdle" and after that we can start working on pulling a date together by poll or something...With it being a more reasonable drive, I figure a friday night and Saturday night could be an enjoyable experience for all and not wear everyone out making all leave wondering why we did this....)

Sherando lake seems good also for folks that may be east of Richmond around Williamsburg and maybe even just a little east of that giving a good opportunity for those folks too...

Hammock
    WBBB Dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    Hex
    Insulation
    DIY underquilt
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Early Bird View Post
    Hi STH! don't miss the 2012 Fall MAHHA hang at Gathland State Park, Md. It is taking place the 3rd weekend in October & is a one hour drive for me from Fairfax, Va. Also, I hope some of us will get together for our 3rd annual fall hang at Dolly Sods in September, though I haven't heard about official plans yet.
    Appreciate the heads up, I will be sure to try and make it to the Dolly Sods hang in September--it's a beautiful time to be there.

Hammock
    WBBB Dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    Hex
    Insulation
    DIY underquilt
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by peteypk View Post
    I appreciate the consideration for a centralized location as I would be coming from near DC. While @ShortTripHome's suggestions (Sherando Lake, Saint Mary's Wilderness, Ramsey's Draft Wilderness, Mt. Pleasant Recreation Area, Tinker Cliffs/McFees Knob) sound great, some of them are pushing 3-4 hours drive for some of us -- that'll make it tough for some to wanna come out and hang.

But I'm just one dude, and I'll try and roll with whichever site is agreed upon that will provide some fun and hammockommunity!
    I like your idea about Sky Meadows SP. It has a hike in campground. I would rather be in wilderness though.

hppyfngy - I would assume from your listed location that you probably have the most "boots on the ground" experience with the area...

Would some Northern VA'ers mind posting some 2-3 hour drive locations....

Sherando lake seems good also for folks that may be east of Richmond around Williamsburg and maybe even just a little east of that giving a good opportunity for those folks too...
    I was thinking more along the lines of hiking into a location or doing a loop. But far away from campgrounds if possible. Somewhere that has good water, too.

We have plenty of time to plan this, I hope that we can get the logistics right to suit everyone.

Hammock
    GT Dbl
    Tarp
    GG11'
    Insulation
    PLUQ+sleeping bag
    Suspension
    ENO AtlasStraps
    Quote Originally Posted by ShortTripHome View Post
    I would rather be in wilderness though.
    I've never done "wilderness" anything, but I'm up for it!

Would some Northern VA'ers mind posting some 2-3 hour drive locations...
    @autolox... Part of my *problem* is that I'm such a noob that I have no clue where there are any good places to hike/hammock within 2-3 hours of NoVA -- I've just never have ventured out to do stuff like this. I guess, in my head, the notion of hanging is kinda like what @ShortTripHome is looking to do... but since I've never done that before, I just dunno where or how to find such places.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1
    Tarp
    TBD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Sling/Web
    I'm in if it's later in the summer. Waiting on my hammock, tarp, and quilts to come in. 6 weeks out on most.
    Not the guy to ask for Directions.

Hammock
    BIAS XL Camper, ENO DN
    Tarp
    12x10 WL tarp
    Insulation
    Junebug quilts
    Suspension
    WS, TH, ET
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DivaB View Post
    What about Ohio
    Ohio hangers are welcome on South Carolina.
    Life looks better from a BIAS hammock.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast