Tarp
    Hex Rainfly 30D
    Insulation
    20*Phoenix,Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling's
    Images

HH Explorer Ultralite Asym Zip

I been on here about a month now and have been researching hammock's for backpacking. I must say you folks really have given me a lot to think about. I first thought a bridge hammock would be the way to go being I,m a side sleeper. I’m 6’ 220 lbs. and like some room to move around in. I’m leaning now towards getting a HH Explorer Ultralite Asym Zip, and adding a Bubble Radiant Pad XL. I’m a little concerned about the standard 42” long webbing straps that come with the set. If they will be long enough for the trees along the Georgia AT.
    What do you well seasoned hammock folks think about my choice. Any other recommendations for a new comer?
    Last edited by oldraven; 06-23-2012 at 14:12.

Images
    I think the explorer ul is a great hammock. I have been usung mine for about a year and a half. I toss & turn a lot at night, and I could not keep a pad/windshield reflector under me. The super shelter, or later an under quilt, was the answer for me. There are a lot of people that do use pads though. If the pad is not expensive it is worth a try.

Ragnall

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images

Great hammock

I've got the same hammock but an UQ is the way to go if your budget will allow. I'm not so sure that bubble pad will stay in place without the rest of the supershelter system to hold it in place (but I've been wrong before). Right now I'm trying to source a thermoflect blanket to mod into a summer UQ.

I'm a back/side sleeper but I notice in the hammock I kind of draw up into a slight fetal position when I try to side sleep. It sounds strange but is very comfortable.

Hammock
    HH Explorer w/ Zipper Mod #4
    Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Cinch and straps
    Images
    I also prefer a down underquilt for summer use mainly for its comfort and compactibility. You can make one easily with a little sewing from a lightweight sleeping bag. Hard to beat the advantages of 900 FP down but you'll have to consider its expense.
    2QZQ Hammock Specialties
    Specializing in:
    Hennessy Hammock zipper modifications
    Sewn on Tarp doors, Pole Pockets, and Grizz Beaks
    Ridgeline and gear organizers, peak storage bags, UQ protectors,
    2QZQ tree table!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ragnall View Post
    I think the explorer ul is a great hammock. I have been usung mine for about a year and a half. I toss & turn a lot at night, and I could not keep a pad/windshield reflector under me. The super shelter, or later an under quilt, was the answer for me. There are a lot of people that do use pads though. If the pad is not expensive it is worth a try.

Ragnall
    Quote Originally Posted by zukiguy View Post
    I've got the same hammock but an UQ is the way to go if your budget will allow. I'm not so sure that bubble pad will stay in place without the rest of the supershelter system to hold it in place (but I've been wrong before). Right now I'm trying to source a thermoflect blanket to mod into a summer UQ.

I'm a back/side sleeper but I notice in the hammock I kind of draw up into a slight fetal position when I try to side sleep. It sounds strange but is very comfortable.
    Expl UL was my 1st hammock in 2006, and I still use it occasionally, still think it is a great hammock- though mine is not a zip model.

The bubble pad and Supershelter are 2 dif systems, though you could use them together if desired. The bubble pad actually 1st appeared for use in the double layer(pad pocket) HH DJ. The pad stays in place nicely in this system, but might be challenging to keep in place inside the Explorer. Although, I have never tried the combo.

The HHSS uses a a compressible Open Cell Foam pad which is suspended- along with an Undercover- outside of and underneath the hammock. So, 2 different systems.

BTW, you can get some Amsteel or some other strong cord like Spider Line and make an extension for those tree huggers for almost no weight addition.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hex Rainfly 30D
    Insulation
    20*Phoenix,Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling's
    Images
    Thanks for the feedback everyone. I think I’ll just go with my down sleeping bag and brink some 1/4” nylon cord if I have to add to the webbing straps. I’m sure I’ll learn along the way and be asking for more advice from you veteran hangers.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    I use that hammock, and I found that replacing the stock Hennessy lines was the first thing I wanted to do anyway. Tying and untying the figure-8 lashing every time I wanted to adjust the hammock was...not my cup of tea. I like things to be easy to set up at the end of a long day, and the knot--while simple--was not the easiest way to do it.

I replaced the line with Jacks 'R' Better's tri-glide system, and it was a lot easier to use. I've currently got a strap-and-ring system on order, to replace that with something even easier.

As far as comfort for cooler temps, you can stay on top of a pad in the Hennessy, but it's not as nice feeling as an underquilt. I use a PLUQ with a layer of InsulFleece added to it, due to budget concerns, and it's good for me down into the mid-twenties. For most folks, the low thirties would probably be the range on that (I'm a pretty hot sleeper).

The hammock itself is very nice, and I do recommend them for someone looking for a bug netted hammock. There are other choices out there, but I've been happy with mine for almost a year now.

Hope it helps!

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hex Rainfly 30D
    Insulation
    20*Phoenix,Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling's
    Images
    Well I’m in, just placed a order. HH Explorer Ultralite Asym Zip Upgraded to the Hex Rainfly 30D Silnylon and 72” webbing straps. Cant wait to try it 5 miles out in the peaceful forest.

• + New Posts