HH Asym Side Zip
    Tarp
    Siltarp II/HH Hex
    Insulation
    Window reflector
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Underquilt Suggestions

I know there are several threads on this already, but mine's a two pronged question, so I thought I'd make a new thread.

The first is suggestions for an UQ. I've read up on many and am still undecided. I want something that will work well on my HH Exp but will also work on a WBB when I inevitably upgrade to one (maybe in another year or two). So the Super Shelter is definitely out, for that reason and I don't think it'd be half as warm as a down UQ. I've also seen a few people mention that certain UQs don't fit a Hennessy well so I'd like to avoid those but at the same time I don't want to get something that's tailored too much to the HH because when I upgrade my WBB I'd like to use it with that.

The second part of the question is just tips for staying warm in the mean time. I did about 10 nights in my hammock last summer and had no real issues but that was all in August when the weather was warmer. Last weekend I did a test hang (to try out my new whoopie slings) and froze my but off. The only difference is I didn't use a window reflector underneath (the other one self destructed). All I'm using now is my mummy bag which not only is uncomfortable in a hammock but compresses under me. So I was thinking when I'm out this weekend I'll bring my old foam pad and put that under me and drape my mummy bag over me like a top quilt. Should that be sufficient? or should I have some other layer between me and the foam pad?

Thanks in advance for the tips

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1SL/UKHamm
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 4S/CamoSF
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WhoopieDutchness
    Can't really comment on a UQ for your HH but adding a foam mat to your current setup will definitely help. You'll get a few draughts around the sides if it's blowy but you'll be warmer.

Unzipping your bag will make a decent quilt but you might be glad of more enclosure if it's chilly.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird DL 1.1
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    UGQ 20F Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    I eagerly wait to see the replies to your questions, as I have a Hennessy Expedition and a WBBB.

Definitely bring the pad and use it. It will help a lot. How wide is it? I have pads that range from 20" to 27" in width and every additional inch in width makes a big difference.

If your pad is narrow, you could always pick up a cheap second pad and cut it to fit across your shoulders, forming a "T" with the first pad.
    To support the Boy Scouts, please buy some popcorn from http://www.trails-end.com/shop/scout...sp?id=28250585

Hammock
    HH Asym Side Zip
    Tarp
    Siltarp II/HH Hex
    Insulation
    Window reflector
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Shewie View Post
    Unzipping your bag will make a decent quilt but you might be glad of more enclosure if it's chilly.
    Unfortunately zipping it isn't much of an option. I fit in it fine on the ground but when I'm in the hammock I just can't seem to get it to zip up, it gets as far as much chest then I just leave the rest open and drape my sweater or something over my chest area to keep it warm. That worked all last summer but I get so tangled up and uncomfortable in the bag (I hate the confinement on my feet). So I think just leaving it open and on top of me will be the comfiest.

I'm more worried about condensation from being directly on the pad (I sweat easily) and, as you suggested, side drafts. I am also curious if the 1" foam under me will be enough to keep my butt warm all night.

I just cant wait for a UQ. I hate pads, I hate them because they don't even fit in my largest of bags and I've never really liked strapping them to my bags. This weekend will also be a stealth camp so I would ideally like it to be in my bag. But for this weekend I'm just gonna have to deal with that.

Thanks for the input.

Hammock
    HH Asym Side Zip
    Tarp
    Siltarp II/HH Hex
    Insulation
    Window reflector
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Troy64 View Post
    I eagerly wait to see the replies to your questions, as I have a Hennessy Expedition and a WBBB.

Definitely bring the pad and use it. It will help a lot. How wide is it? I have pads that range from 20" to 27" in width and every additional inch in width makes a big difference.

If your pad is narrow, you could always pick up a cheap second pad and cut it to fit across your shoulders, forming a "T" with the first pad.
    Heh, yours slipped in while I was writing the other reply.

I'd have to pull it out and measure it. It's not an impressive pad, I think I got it on clearance for $2 at Zehrs of all places. It served me well on the ground on many a trips but it's still a cheap pad. I'd say it's fairly narrow, and about 6' long. I'm hoping it holds the sides out and creates a bit more of a footbox area for me to keep my feet comfy. Sometimes they cramp like crazy and sometimes they dont bother me at all.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1SL/UKHamm
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 4S/CamoSF
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WhoopieDutchness
    When I was still using a sleeping bag I worked out a fairly easy way to get in without too much of the wriggling green maggot fiasco. It would take all night to explain it and it would be very boring to boot In a nutshell... Unzip bag, sit on bag, slide feet in bag, pull remaining top layer of bag out from under you, zip up bag

You will get some condensation but I wouldn't worry too much about it, I've used Thermarests and CCF pads before without any probs, plenty warm enough too.

One way to carry a foam mat internally is to slide it down into your empty pack, push it out so it's as wide as it can go and then place the rest of your kit within it.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    What temperature ranges are you typically camping in?

I'd personally suggest that you send an email to the various vendors that we have here on HF, and ask them if they have anything that would meet your needs for covering both an HH Expedition and the WBBB.

You might also consider making yourself one from a poncho liner, if the temps you're sleeping in aren't so extreme.

Personally...I'd change out the mummy bag as soon as possible too. Either pick up a top quilt, or a larger, roomier sleeping bag. I have a 'standard' 20 deg bag my wife bought me and it's ok...but I'm more comfortable in my military issue ICW sleeping bag...much roomier.

Hammock
    HH Asym Side Zip
    Tarp
    Siltarp II/HH Hex
    Insulation
    Window reflector
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    In a nutshell... Unzip bag, sit on bag, slide feet in bag, pull remaining top layer of bag out from under you, zip up bag
    That's what I've been attempting, but it takes forever to get completely in and the best way was to climb out of the hammock, pull the sleeping bag around me then get back in. That only works with a ground mat or else you're getting your bag filthy. Then when you get up at 4am to go pee you get the pleasure of doing it all again with your eyes half closed :S

One way to carry a foam mat internally is to slide it down into your empty pack, push it out so it's as wide as it can go and then place the rest of your kit within it.
    Thanks, I will try that. I think if I leave the section that separates my bottom half from the top open it may work.

Quote Originally Posted by Owl View Post
    What temperature ranges are you typically camping in?
    That varies. I start as early as may and finish in october. At night I'd say I wouldn't expect to deal with much more than -5C, maybe -10C. I think my sleeping bag is rated for -17C though. In the summer it can be 10-15C when I go to bed an easily drop down to 0C in the early morning. I always feel warm when I go to bed, it's those last few hours of the night that get me. And so far the latest I've used the hammock was early september, and this year I plan to go out to Algonquin in late sept/early october so I will need to be warm on that trip.

Personally...I'd change out the mummy bag as soon as possible too. Either pick up a top quilt, or a larger, roomier sleeping bag.
    Agreed, that's next on my list. First up is an underquilt, I can manage with the mummy bag for a bit longer. My sleeping bag doesn't compress well enough so I'll be happy when I no longer need it filling up my sack.

You might also consider making yourself one from a poncho liner, if the temps you're sleeping in aren't so extreme.
    Not really big on ponchos, for whatever reason. But I'm not a stranger to using my sweater or jacket for extra insulation in the night.

Hammock
    DIY speer type
    Tarp
    OES Maccat
    Insulation
    JRB Nest+ORM
    Suspension
    Webbing + Slings
    Images
    any rectangular quilt should fit fine on a Hennessy or Blackbird, I believe.

Full length is probably more 'fool proof' than 3/4 length (and no need for a pad under your feet with the full length) but you've got a potential weight/cost penalty.

There are lots of quilt vendors here, I've had the pleasure of dealing with the Jacks as I was getting my gear before a lot of others began their businesses. I've heard good things about the others though.

TH
    my hammock gear weights total: 2430g (~86oz)
    Winter: total 2521 (~89oz)
    (see my profile for detailed weights)

gram counter, not gram weenie!

Hammock
    hennessy exped asym
    Images
    I have a Hennessy and use the Jarbridge River UQ from Arrowhead Equipment. It fits well and is warm enough for fall in Northern Ontario. I tend to sleep kinda compact so the 3/4 works for me. It packs up to about the size of a loaf of bread and fits in my kayak with the rest of my gear no problem. It also fits on my Eno DN in the house for winter. Paul ships almost the minute he gets the order from you and is awesome to deal with! Too bad you just missed the Memorial Day sale though...
    Debi

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast