need info on where to hike in the wind river range

I am going out to wyoming for 2 1/2 weeks in july and august (july 29th-aug 16th) and need info on where would be the best place to backpack in the winds. Also will be doing the teton crest trail starting on july31st-aug6th and then off to the winds for another 7 days. and if anyone would like to join let me know.

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    UGQ H11/12 WD11
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/ ET's
    Images
    Beautiful mountain range, I've been there several times... Looking for a loop or point to point???

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ighlight=winds

So many options, I think you could spend a life time in the Winds...
    Happy Hangin'

Paul - Master Fabric Welder @ UGQ

>>>VISIT UGQ OUTDOOR HERE<<<

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by manta View Post
    I am going out to wyoming for 2 1/2 weeks in july and august (july 29th-aug 16th) and need info on where would be the best place to backpack in the winds. Also will be doing the teton crest trail starting on july31st-aug6th and then off to the winds for another 7 days. and if anyone would like to join let me know.
    Quote Originally Posted by sr1355 View Post
    Beautiful mountain range, I've been there several times... Looking for a loop or point to point???

I agree, a lifetime unless you were able to spend full time there for a couple of seasons. The crest or CD, ( Continental Divide ) within the wilderness, is ~ 90+ miles as the crow flies. That does not sound like so much. But my 1st time there long ago, I covered about 100 miles while only covering a few areas in the southern half. This entailed coming in on the southern extreme and east side, climbing West Atlantic and Wind River Peaks and finally crossing over the CD one time to Big Sandy Lake on the west, then heading north another 20 plus miles ( as the crow flies, many more trail miles ) to exit on the west. That was just in the southern half and only crossing the divide one time, and we could have chosen to cross back and forth over the divide at many different passes. I have been going there for 25+ years and have still only covered a relatively small part of it. Of course, that is partly because as years go by I tend to go back to some of my favorite areas.

There are numerous very spectacular areas. But in any given 20 or 30 miles, there are some areas that are a good bit more spectacular than others. Want to keep it simple?

1: Drive in from Pinedale or some other area on the west to Big Sandy Lake and park or camp at the campground. Or even stay at Big Sandy Lodge and horse ranch. This is the most crowded trail head/parking area in the Winds, but don't worry, you will soon leave the people behind.
    2: Hike in ~ 6 miles to Big Sandy Lake. You can either hike straight in, or take a slight detour ( left fork in the trail ) and spend the 1st night at V or Diamond lakes , here:

then on to Big Sandy lake.

Again, BSL is the most crowded of many hundreds of lakes in the Winds, because it is so close to the car/camp ground. Sometimes it is hard to find a camp right at BSL. Still, if you fan out to the Big Sandy River's lake exit or up to the west north side of BSL towards nearby Blue Lake or Lost Creek, you will find camps in abundance. If you do nothing else, and just day hike from here, this will be a very memorable trip. Beautiful clear trout filled mountain lakes with steep jagged mountains rising 2500-3000 feet from the shore line.

Or, keep going!
    3:Follow the trails up higher and west a few miles of BSL and camp at Black Joe, Clear or Deep Lakes:

4: Or, from BSL go North a few miles over Jack *** Pass ( I suggest you stay EAST of North and Arrowhead lakes and on the official "trail", though this "trail" is wide open above timberline country- really a route rather than trail ) and camp here at Lonesome Lake/Cirque of the Towers:

Spend a few days here exploring this basin then head back the way you came, or head over Texas Pass to Texas Lake and go west down Washakie Creek and camp here if you want more jagged, sawtooth like peaks rising straight up out of lakes:

Then follow Washakie Creek from Texas Lake ~ west to where the trail turns south ( left) back to BS campground/parking. Or turn north towards more endless adventure and spectacular rocky Mountain High. This will all be between 9500 to 11000 feet, unless you decide to climb something.

That is the most efficient route to beauty I know of, but there are about a hundred other ways you can go also! Just be ready! I have seen 15F there 1st week of Sept and I have seen 24F and 1ft+ snow storm on June 27. Though summer normal is probably more like 40-50 lows. But every week or two there are always some cold snaps.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 06-05-2012 at 09:37.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sr1355 View Post

BTW, SR1355, I once again went through your thread and was reminded again how beautiful your photography is! What great pics!

Clear lake is a great base camp, going there in August

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    UGQ H11/12 WD11
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/ ET's
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    BTW, SR1355, I once again went through your thread and was reminded again how beautiful your photography is! What great pics!
    Thanks BillyBob, I love the Winds, I just started reading a book called Wind River by Tom Morrisey, it's fun to be able to know exactly what Th and lakes the are referencing in the book as the story progresses... Hey, I've been there...
    Happy Hangin'

Paul - Master Fabric Welder @ UGQ

>>>VISIT UGQ OUTDOOR HERE<<<

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hammock
    Banyan bridge, BIAS gathered
    Tarp
    ZPacks w doors
    Insulation
    HG; JRB
    Suspension
    Straps &amp; beckett

I loved the WRR Crest route

As described in Backpacker magazine and other places. Allow at least nine days, and more if you want to some side hikes. Did this in early Sept. last year and it was awesome. We went NW to SE, starting at Green Lakes TH and ending up at the Cirque of the Towers and out to Big Sandy. At the time you are planning to go, mosquitoes may still be an issue, so don't leave head net or bug net at home.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

• + New Posts