Warbonnet 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    webbing

Tarp Ridgeline-need suggestions

Went camping last weekend, all went well except for the tarp. I have used the end only tie-out to hang my tarp. Seems to be a pain. I'm thinking of trying the full-length ridgeline. Several questions, first over or under the tarp? I have 1.75 zing-it line, what type of line would be good to use for the prusik line? How long should the line be for the ridgeline? What about tarp tensioners? Any other input would be appreciated.Thanks

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    I use about 30 feet of zing-it with Dutchware hook and a flyz on either end. For the prusik line i have used the zing-it as well as masons line.

Over or under tends to be a personal preference. I tend to go under for the added support.
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    undecided
    Tarp
    zpacks
    Insulation
    supershelter
    Suspension
    whoopie dutch hook
    Dragon360 has an easy and good way of doing it. I think it is about personal preference. I am very weight conscious, and have had good luck with lighter cords. I use 200 lb test dyneema that is a braided type for my prussic knot on 1.25 zline and have had good results. I also place a short prussic from the tarp to the zline and this allows for rapid tensioning. One thing is for sure I like a lot of people keep tinkering and fine tuning using bit and pieces of ideas from all the great folk on the forum.

Hammock
    Hammock Bliss Double
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Baby Orca IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    I just made the switch to end-only ridgeline tieout from full-length. Found end-only to be faster and easier. I always spent a lot of time getting my full-length ridgeline set up like I wanted it.

I use 1.75 Chuck-It with Mason Line prusiks attaching the tarp to the main line. I have a loop at the end of the tieout that goes over the same marlin spike hitch that the hammock whoopies use.

Place one loop over one marlin spike hitch, stretch out the tarp, place the second loop at the far end marlin spike hitch, adjust the prusiks (for alignment and ridgeline elevation). Staking the corners tightens things up. Done.

An added benefit is that there's no conflict between hammock suspension and tarp ridgeline.
    ol' daddy

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    My continuous tarp ridgeline consists of a Dutch hook tied in a bowline at one end of the 30' of 1.75mm Zing-it and another Dutch hook in a prusik which is near the other end.

First, I wrap the end with the bowline around the 1st tree and secure it back on itself with the Dutch hook. Then I do the same at the 2nd tree but slide the prusik to tighten the ridgeline and secure it back on itself also with the second Dutch hook.

My tarp is permanently mounted on the ridgeline with a prusik at each end of the tarp. Those prusiks are tied onto the D-rings of the tarp with a double fisherman's knot.

Finally, I slide the tarp into place, centered over the hammock.

I used to have two separate tie-outs at each end of my tarp and I despised it. I totally love the continuous ridgeline because it has made hanging my tarp faster and easier.
    Last edited by MAD777; 06-01-2012 at 17:38.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl xlc
    Tarp
    HG cuben
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch bkls
    Have been dabbling with 2 piece ridgelines for fun, think I'll stay with a 1 piece. I have a cuben tarp that I prefer to disconnect and fold to stow, YMMV.

1.75 zing-it or lash-it is a super choice, prusiks made of the same will lock up just fine once the shine gets worn off of everything.

I'd start with 30', you can cut it down later if you want too.

David

• + New Posts