Hammock
    Grand Trunk UL
    Tarp
    Equinox 8x10 silny
    Insulation
    Speer PeaPod III
    Images

poop, celebrities and subalpine hanging on PCT - WA North Cascades

Last weekend, my wife and I and 2 dogs (Crazy J and Big D) hiked the Pacific Crest Trail north from Rainy Pass on the North Cascades Highway in northwest Washington state.

It was hot and sunny on the hike up. I was worried about the dogs. They need as much water as a Southeast Asia water buffalo. Luckily, most of the creeks were still flowing so the dogs had enough water to make it up to 6800 foot Cutthroat Pass. There were some wildflowers still flowering but not quite as many as 3 weeks ago.

This is the drier part of the Cascades. No big glaciers on this side. There was a little snow but none on the trail.

South of Cutthroat Pass the PCT levels off and stays high to a small gap in a rocky ridge. Wham! an amazing view at the gap above Granite Pass.

There's pretty much no water from Cutthroat Pass to about 1 mile south of the junction with Snowy Lakes. Crazy J's tongue was dry, cherry red and about a foot long but he hung in there with the blazing heat and sun.

We set up camp on the PCT at the junction of the boot trail up to Snowy Lakes. I pitched the Hennessy Backpacker A-sym between the thickest, most solid subalpine fir trees around. I tied the stock HH tarp over a Kelty Triptease ridgeline thinking that would improve coverage. I was wrong. It offset the tarp centerline from the hammock ridgeline. So I just tied the ends of the HH stock tarp to the tree in addition to the ridgeline clips. This seems to reduce tarp sag substantially.

Then we hiked further on the PCT up to Methow Pass.

We hiked back down to camp for nice sunset light on Tower Mountain towering above

and illuminating the peaks beyond.

This evening I noticed Crazy J disappeared for a little too long behind the subalpine fir, mountain hemlock and Engelmann spruce trees. Before bedtime my wife came back from the tent angry and disgusted. Crazy J discovered and dug up a cathole. She said his filthy mouth stunk up the whole tent with the foul, repulsive stench of rotten human feces. For punishment, Crazy J was banished from sleeping in the LL Bean Microlight 2 tent with my wife and Big D to sleeping under the HH by himself. Too bad we left his wool sweater from Peru at home. We figured he'd get too warm with it in the tent.

Upon further inspection, we saw that there were a lot of catholes just on the other side of the trees, most of them poorly dug and close to water with protruding TP. People can be so lazy and thoughtless. All they had to do was go for a 5 minute walk, spend a few minutes digging and go away from water.

That night it stayed warm; probably never dropped down below 50 degrees. About 6 am I was re-awakened by gusty winds and a few drops hitting the tarp. The wind was so strong it blew around the subalpine firs my hammock was tied to. This wasn't so bad since it rocked the HH, kind of like rocking a baby to sleep in a cradle. We could also smell the faint smoke of a wildfire off to the east.

The weather improved after breakfast. There were some amazing views west to the peaks of North Cascades National Park which we could not see the day before due to glare from intense sun, heat haze and the sun's position in the sky.

Just a little north of Granite Pass, two thruhiker looking guys approached. The first said something like "I know you from somewhere. I'm Tattoo Joe". Nope, we've never met. But I knew who the other one was. It was Scott Williamson. They were about ready to break the PCT unassisted record for a PCT thruhike. They hike 35 - 40 miles a day! Their packs were tiny. I'm still perplexed on how they get their packs so small and light. My weekend food bag was bigger than their packs. They were really nice. We chit-chatted for a little bit then went our ways. They liked Crazy J. I had to mention how he digs up catholes. They chuckled.

It cleared up on the hike out and it was not as hot and sunny as the day before so it was a nice hike.

The whole hike was about 25 miles round trip with detours up to Methow Pass and Lower Snowy Lakes. The PCT has a pretty mellow slope so we only went from 4800 to 6800 feet elevation. If it weren't for all the poorly-buried feces, feces-eating dog and nearly-record breaking heat, it would've been a perfect trip.
    Last edited by hikingjer; 08-19-2008 at 00:34.

Hammock
    DIY Speer Type
    Tarp
    JRB, OES, HG
    Insulation
    Peapod, JRB, HG
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Incredibly Beautiful!!! Can't wait to get back out west for some real mountains. AT is nice...but very few views approaching those.
    Gentle raindrops and mighty oceans...neither can exist without the other.
    Time heals all wounds...but it usually leaves a pretty big scar.

Hammock
    Nano-7
    Tarp
    Cat cut tarp
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Yeti
    Suspension
    Woopie slings
    Images
    Just one word WOW
    Some real nice view of mountains there for sure. must have been a nice trip.
    Rivers know this: there is no hurry. We shall get there some day.
    Winnie the Pooh

My Photo Album
    My youtube videos

Proud member since May 2007

I see a book in the offing....The Misadventures of Crazy J...nice photos, I am very jealous. I need to go visit my sister and BIL who live in Seattle again and get back up in those mountains.

John

Hammock
    SB Pro, Lawson, Everest Double
    Images
    I really like the photos of your dog with his pack. My girl just celebrated her 13th birthday yesterday, so she's not moving so fast anymore. Hummm that makes her 91 in our years, so I guess I'd be moving kind of slow too.

Looks like a great trip with some great companions.
    Wild Mike

Hammock
    DIY HH Clone
    Tarp
    Pending
    Insulation
    RidgeRest CCP
    Images

awesome pictures

Awesome trip hikingjer, Cascades rock! I am always surprised at the diversity of the Cascade range, the rainshadows, and completely different climates depending on what side of the range you are on is awe inspiring. It is good to see trail reports with hammocks from other places than along the Appalachians, the big peaks and jaw dropping vistas show beautifully in your pictures, thanks for sharing!
    [....] Our remnants of wilderness will yield bigger values to the nation's character and health than they will to its pocketbook, and to destroy them will be to admit that the latter are the only values that interest us.

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Those shots are absolutely beautiful. Amazing scenery. Thanks for the report. It gave me a few good laughs.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    CLARK NX-200 / Clark NA /Warbonnet
    Tarp
    CLARK NX-200 TARP
    Insulation
    PAD and BAG
    Images
    I am so very jealous I only wish I could hike those again.
    great pictures I was reading along and looking at pictures
    thinking why is he not taken any pictures of the hammock
    I mean the flowers are nice and the mountains were awsome
    but no hammock pictures then BAMB Just like that
    there they were hammock pictures with a view to die for.

thanks so much send more send more...
    for those who can't get out there I will live vicariously through
    your pictures.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    thanks for the story and pictures!

My golden retriever (now gone) had a penchant for dead things. When we lived out in the backwoods of New Hampshire we'd find pieces of various kinds of dead animals she'd bring home and leave in the yard.

And then there was the porcupine.

Which she visited AGAIN after we got the quills out from the first time.

dogs....

Grizz

Hammock
    DD modular jungle hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by hikingjer View Post
    Last weekend, my wife and I and 2 dogs (Crazy J and Big D) hiked the Pacific Crest Trail north from Rainy Pass on the North Cascades Highway in northwest Washington state.

It was hot and sunny on the hike up. I was worried about the dogs. They need as much water as a Southeast Asia water buffalo. Luckily, most of the creeks were still flowing so the dogs had enough water to make it up to 6800 foot Cutthroat Pass. There were some wildflowers still flowering but not quite as many as 3 weeks ago.

[This is the drier part of the Cascades. No big glaciers on this side. There was a little snow but none on the trail.

South of Cutthroat Pass the PCT levels off and stays high to a small gap in a rocky ridge. Wham! an amazing view at the gap above Granite Pass.

[There's pretty much no water from Cutthroat Pass to about 1 mile south of the junction with Snowy Lakes. Crazy J's tongue was dry, cherry red and about a foot long but he hung in there with the blazing heat and sun.

We set up camp on the PCT at the junction of the boot trail up to Snowy Lakes. I pitched the Hennessy Backpacker A-sym between the thickest, most solid subalpine fir trees around. I tied the stock HH tarp over a Kelty Triptease ridgeline thinking that would improve coverage. I was wrong. It offset the tarp centerline from the hammock ridgeline. So I just tied the ends of the HH stock tarp to the tree in addition to the ridgeline clips. This seems to reduce tarp sag substantially.

Then we hiked further on the PCT up to Methow Pass.

[This evening I noticed Crazy J disappeared for a little too long behind the subalpine fir, mountain hemlock and Engelmann spruce trees. Before bedtime my wife came back from the tent angry and disgusted. Crazy J discovered and dug up a cathole. She said his filthy mouth stunk up the whole tent with the foul, repulsive stench of rotten human feces. For punishment, Crazy J was banished from sleeping in the LL Bean Microlight 2 tent with my wife and Big D to sleeping under the HH by himself. Too bad we left his wool sweater from Peru at home. We figured he'd get too warm with it in the tent.

Upon further inspection, we saw that there were a lot of catholes just on the other side of the trees, most of them poorly dug and close to water with protruding TP. People can be so lazy and thoughtless. All they had to do was go for a 5 minute walk, spend a few minutes digging and go away from water.

That night it stayed warm; probably never dropped down below 50 degrees. About 6 am I was re-awakened by gusty winds and a few drops hitting the tarp. The wind was so strong it blew around the subalpine firs my hammock was tied to. This wasn't so bad since it rocked the HH, kind of like rocking a baby to sleep in a cradle. We could also smell the faint smoke of a wildfire off to the east.

The weather improved after breakfast. There were some amazing views west to the peaks of North Cascades National Park which we could not see the day before due to glare from intense sun, heat haze and the sun's position in the sky.

Just a little north of Granite Pass, two thruhiker looking guys approached. The first said something like "I know you from somewhere. I'm Tattoo Joe". Nope, we've never met. But I knew who the other one was. It was Scott Williamson. They were about ready to break the PCT unassisted record for a PCT thruhike. They hike 35 - 40 miles a day! Their packs were tiny. I'm still perplexed on how they get their packs so small and light. My weekend food bag was bigger than their packs. They were really nice. We chit-chatted for a little bit then went our ways. They liked Crazy J. I had to mention how he digs up catholes. They chuckled.

It cleared up on the hike out and it was not as hot and sunny as the day before so it was a nice hike.

[
    The whole hike was about 25 miles round trip with detours up to Methow Pass and Lower Snowy Lakes. The PCT has a pretty mellow slope so we only went from 4800 to 6800 feet elevation. If it weren't for all the poorly-buried feces, feces-eating dog and nearly-record breaking heat, it would've been a perfect trip.
    wow breath taking awesome picturesneo
    Last edited by neo; 08-20-2008 at 17:17.
    the matrix has you

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast