Grand Trunk Ultralight (camo)
    Tarp
    Chinook Tarp
    Insulation
    USGIPL
    Suspension
    Amazon Microropes
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    They're warm for the price. They're warm for the weight, compared to other insulation options in the same price range, with the sole exception of blue CCF pads (which don't compress at all, full stop).

What they're not is small. While they compress better than comparably-priced sleeping bags, they are not compressable at all compared to a down quilt set. I figure that a normal poncho liner probably takes up about four liters normally and three liters of space when compressed. If you add synthetic insulation to a PLUQ (like I did), that worsens. I figure my PLUQ probably takes up about five liters compressed and six or seven uncompressed.

If you want a really packable quilt, down is the only real option out there. If you're tied to synthetics, Climashield and Primaloft seem to be the most compressable. Note that there's a large difference between first and second place there, though; down wins, hands down.

Hope it helps!
    haha, no I'm not tied to anything. Just want sumpthin' to get the job done. I also have no money and am trying to get it right the first time. It never fails with me, I always end up having to pay a ton of money for stuff because nothing ever works for me the first time....or the second time....or........etc.
    Last edited by quigleyman; 06-03-2012 at 21:54.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Chinook Tarp
    Insulation
    USGIPL
    Suspension
    Amazon Microropes
    Okay, another question guys. Does anyone have actual experience using a space blanket under their hammock draped like an UQ? The quality tarp kind (5'x7') I mean. In theory it will block wind and reflect body heat, but how well does it ACTUALLY do the job? It is already a permanent item in my kit anyway, so if I can multitask it, great.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    WBWookie/HG PHX
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Just got back from a rainy overnighter in the berkshires of western mass. It got down to the mid forty's and I was toasty warm .I used my DIY poncho liner UQ. Again,I can get mine compressed down to a little larger than a liter Nalgene bottle using a Sea to Summit Event comp sack.Hope this helps.

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Condensation as the temps drop, seem to be the major problem with space blankets. Some it's not a problem, for some it could be dangerous, depending on temp ranges, and user expertise.
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    Tarp
    Chinook Tarp
    Insulation
    USGIPL
    Suspension
    Amazon Microropes
    Quote Originally Posted by Cragdwella View Post
    Just got back from a rainy overnighter in the berkshires of western mass. It got down to the mid forty's and I was toasty warm .I used my DIY poncho liner UQ. Again,I can get mine compressed down to a little larger than a liter Nalgene bottle using a Sea to Summit Event comp sack.Hope this helps.
    it does help, thank you. did you use anything along with it, or was it just the liner and your bag?

Hammock
    Tarp
    Chinook Tarp
    Insulation
    USGIPL
    Suspension
    Amazon Microropes
    Quote Originally Posted by Rolloff View Post
    Condensation as the temps drop, seem to be the major problem with space blankets. Some it's not a problem, for some it could be dangerous, depending on temp ranges, and user expertise.
    haha. I've spent WAY TOO MANY nights with one. Unfortunately I could be considered an expert

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    WBWookie/HG PHX
    Suspension
    Webbing
    I used just the poncho liner UQ. On the inside of my hammock I used my MountainHardwear 45 deg lamina synthetic bag. I open it up and use it as a blanket. I do plan on getting a down UQ. Mainly for the weight and compactness.Peace

Hammock
    Tarp
    Chinook Tarp
    Insulation
    USGIPL
    Suspension
    Amazon Microropes
    nice. Im using a PLUQ and I have a swiss military fleece sleeping bag liner. (its THICK..a bag unto itself) I can go down close to freezing if I put my tarp in "winter" mode.

http://www.fleetfarm.com/catalog/pro...oduct%20search

I paid $15 for 3 of them through sportsmans guide. They are amazing.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12