Grand Trunk Ultralight (camo)
    Tarp
    Chinook Tarp
    Insulation
    USGIPL
    Suspension
    Amazon Microropes

Forget weight.....compactness.

What is the MOST compact UQ available. In other words, what UQ is gonna pack down the smallest. I can work with different temp ratings, but I need place to start and it's gotta be SMALL.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Anything that is made with 800+ down is the most compact you will find. Many makes and models available. Check the vendors forum and cruise their sites for your pick.

Some synthetics are light, yet can be bulky.
    Down is of course on the high end of purchases. But it is the best, as long as you keep it dry.

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Also keep in mind that compactness has its issues too. Sure you can put anything into a compression sack to get it as small as possible, but this makes the result a rigid cylinder which sometimes wastes space in the pack as you can't use all of the space in the effectively.

One place to start looking at is the 3 season Warbonnet Yeti. It is a 2/3 underquilt which is 40" wide x 46" long.

Cheers

Brian
    Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment. - Unknown

Hammock
    DIY Dangerous Bird
    Tarp
    DIY Rooftop
    Insulation
    DIY Apex/Argon
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    My Wilderness Logics Summer Series UQ packs down small enough to carry in my cargo pocket. I don't have the exact specs but it's small.
    -Jon-

Hammock
    Traveler 1.1 sl/WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/Standard
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Dynaglide whoopies
    Images
    My Hammock Gear phoenix with 5oz of down (30 deg for me) cuben inner and 7d outer. It is very compact. I never used stuff sacks though. Just throw the quilts in the pack and allow them to loft up as high as the rest of my gear will allow. Plus there's no awkward cylinder shape. Just forms the pack.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Chinook Tarp
    Insulation
    USGIPL
    Suspension
    Amazon Microropes
    Quote Originally Posted by exup View Post
    My Hammock Gear phoenix with 5oz of down (30 deg for me) cuben inner and 7d outer. It is very compact. I never used stuff sacks though. Just throw the quilts in the pack and allow them to loft up as high as the rest of my gear will allow. Plus there's no awkward cylinder shape. Just forms the pack.
    Ill look into it. Glad it works for you, but my pack is....unorthodox. Can't just "throw" stuff in there. Thanks for the suggestion.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Chinook Tarp
    Insulation
    USGIPL
    Suspension
    Amazon Microropes
    I've been reading up on usgi poncho liner underquilts....they look like a very viable option for me. Anybody with experience? (yes ive already read the related threads) I'm talking actual hangtime.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by quigleyman View Post
    I've been reading up on usgi poncho liner underquilts....they look like a very viable option for me. Anybody with experience? (yes ive already read the related threads) I'm talking actual hangtime.
    A down UQ for an equal temp rating will be more compact than a PLUQ.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    WBWookie/HG PHX
    Suspension
    Webbing
    I have been using a Poncho liner UQ for about five "hangs" now. Yes it works, but I am saving for a down UQ. The PL ,even in a comp sack is still a little larger than a standard Nalgene bottle.(liter). Thus I am looking for something more compact myself. Plus the PL is fairly heavy compared to down. Best of luck.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by quigleyman View Post
    They're warm for the price. They're warm for the weight, compared to other insulation options in the same price range, with the sole exception of blue CCF pads (which don't compress at all, full stop).

What they're not is small. While they compress better than comparably-priced sleeping bags, they are not compressable at all compared to a down quilt set. I figure that a normal poncho liner probably takes up about four liters normally and three liters of space when compressed. If you add synthetic insulation to a PLUQ (like I did), that worsens. I figure my PLUQ probably takes up about five liters compressed and six or seven uncompressed.

If you want a really packable quilt, down is the only real option out there. If you're tied to synthetics, Climashield and Primaloft seem to be the most compressable. Note that there's a large difference between first and second place there, though; down wins, hands down.

Hope it helps!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast