Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    Looks like a great time. I often use the USGS sites to get an idea of water levels. Check out http://waterdata.usgs.gov/usa/nwis/uv?site_no=04060993
    The Brule was below the 20th percentile for this time of year, you guys were really draggin it. I think when I did it in May of 1996 there was lotsa water as a lot of those rock ledges you were working over were great class II runs.

Rivers can be so different depending on water levels and the season. So often people ask me if I get tired of the Manistee running it 4-6 times a year or more for the last 18 years. My response is that to the observant, it is never the same! Thanks for sharing. Might have to join you next year.

David
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobit View Post
    Awesome pics but only one hammock pic? c'mon guys!
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    we were stealthing. Look again. At least three of those pictures have hammocks in them, and one of them is taken from inside a hammock, with a corner of the tarp showing.

Grizz
    What Grizz said. One of the pics is pretty dark, and the stealth river camping pics it's hard to pick out the hammocks due to the awesome nature of the site we picked. Overhanging trees, with large ridge behind us. I almost didn't include the one at the campground - it was a campground!

P.S. There is also one hammock pic in the links - don't forget the links in the story.

Quote Originally Posted by canoebie View Post
    Looks like a great time. I often use the USGS sites to get an idea of water levels. Check out http://waterdata.usgs.gov/usa/nwis/uv?site_no=04060993
    David
    I was watching the river level for weeks - ask Grizz about his PM's. Debating which river to hit took a lot of time from my hammock enjoyment, and praying for a good rain in the area of any of our target rivers didn't help. So we went anyway. We would have been perfect if we had left on Wednesday and got off the river Friday - the river dropped 6 inches from Wednesday to Saturday, and we would have cleared most if not all of our obstacles. At least it was August, and we ended up with really clean feet!
    Last edited by fin; 08-19-2008 at 21:12.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by headchange4u View Post
    I am really loving all these trip reports that are being posted here on the forums. Great pic and a fantastic report. The Google Map or your trip is a cool addition.
    That's why posting is down - everyone is out on trips!

Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post
    Nice trip & nice report! And yeah, the google map w/ pictures is a nice touch.
    I especially liked the hammocks lining the river bank.
    Thanks, both of you - I'm going to do Google maps for all my future trips - it's a real nice way to document your trip and post pics at the same time. And to Tobit, there is another pic of the river camp hammock setup in the google map as well.

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by FishinFinn View Post
    I was watching the river level for weeks - ask Grizz about his PM's. Debating which river to hit took a lot of time from my hammock enjoyment, and praying for a good rain in the area of any of our target rivers didn't help. So we went anyway. We would have been perfect if we had left on Wednesday and got off the river Friday - the river dropped 6 inches from Wednesday to Saturday, and we would have cleared most if not all of our obstacles. At least it was August, and we ended up with really clean feet!

FF, that can be really frustrating. I had a trip scheduled on the Pigeon in May, home to the largest Elk herd east of the Mississippi (1500 head) , north of Gaylord MI with 12 other people for Memorial Day. It was described as containing numerous log jams and impassable at low water. They had half the annual rainfall the year before and the river ran at below the 20th percentile the whole time. We kept hoping for rain, up until the last day and had to choose a different river.

I was checking the weather and the USGS site 4 times a day. I guess that is one we will put in the hopper for another day. Glad you still had fun in spite of the low water. I remember how pretty the river was when I saw your pics. Fond memories.
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12