Conemaugh/Kiski River Kayak/Camp Trip

Usually I'm a backpacker, but I've seen a lot of kayak/camping trip stories lately, and it got me to thinking I should try it. I've never used a kayak for anything other than a couple hours of rec paddling. So this weekend I grabbed a buddy and we took a 2 day trip down the Conemaugh and Kiskimentas rivers. (Northeast of Pittsburgh) Water was fairly high after a tornado siting/storm east of the city Friday night, but we were undeterred. Attached a few pictures. My ENO singlenest can be seen in the foreground. Picture of the river is what I saw when the sun came over the peak and woke me up. After coming back from a trip 2 weeks ago where I came home with a tick in my shoulder, I picked up the ENO bugnet during the REI sale and this was it's first use. I know it's heavier than other options, but I must say, I was glad to have it hanging by the river - bugs were out in full force. Being new to hanging (this is only the 5th trip I've made with the hammock) - and being that I don't have the most expensive (i.e. lightweight) hammock gear just yet, I must say, having the kayak was awesome. Nice summer days on the water, and camping 20 ft from a swimming hole may quickly become my go to type of trip. Anyone have a suggestion on kayaks? (Apparently I need something else to blow money on)

We dropped in just below the Conemaugh **** and pulled out around the town of Leechburg, few miles away from the Allegheny. We covered about 25 miles (according to what the locals told us) - but did most of our paddling on day 1. We saw some white water, but only because of the storm the night before. Overall, nice easy paddling and some floating. Beautiful weather, 75 and sunny. Rain held off all weekend. Tried talking my camping mate into becoming a hanger, but he wasn't biting - Then we had to paddle about an hour longer than he wanted because on both side of us were nothing but hillsides and wilderness. He immediately saw the pros of hammock camping as we continually passed sites where I reminded him "We could camp there if you had a hammock" - he had a miserable nights sleep while I slept splendidly.

Going out again in 2 weeks if anyone is from the area and would like to join. Starting further up river this time.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    WBBB, Switchback 1.9 SL & 1.9 DL
    Tarp
    BDWD, AE Hard Rock
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Webbing & Rings
    Looks like a great time. I think I would enjoy some kayak or canoe camping, especially with weather like that. MID 70'S? What is that? I have to travel great distances to experience that this time of year, which I will do in July, for a different kind of floating. Your buddy will come to his senses. I prfer to let the hammocks sell themselves. I'm sure that your luxury didn't go unoticed.
    We are now ready to start our way down the Great Unknown.We are three quarters of a mile in the depth of the earth.We have an unknown distance yet to run, an unknow river yet to explore.What falls there are, we know not; what rocks beset the channel, we know not; what walls rise over the river, we know not. Ah, well! We may conjecture many things. The men talk as cheerfully as ever; jests are bandied about freely this morning; but to me the cheer is somber and the jests are ghastly. Powell 1869

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    AHE Toxoway
    Insulation
    AHE NR UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Hey, that's my neck of the woods! Nice pics.

Where did you rent your boats from?

Hammock
    Dutch's prototypes
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon
    Insulation
    Quilts
    Suspension
    All Dutchware
    I'm jealous. When I lived back in the Burgh, the dam was one of my favorite fishing spots.

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    Some very fine pictures there! Hard on the system desk surfing as I am right now!
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Maccat deluxe
    Insulation
    sleeping bag, & TQ
    Suspension
    amsteel, treehuger
    Images
    Hey that river looks familiar, at least from the tracks it does. did you camp in sight of the tracks? I saw a tent somewhere along the line but didn't pay too much attention to where. I went by early sun. morning. I got a couple kayaks from ****'s. They are the Future Beach trophy 126. 350$ They are a good recreational fishing kayak. Rear dry storage, front storage compartment, adjustable footrests. Yes there are faster, better boats, but for the price I love them better than my buddies boats.
    Looks like a sweet spot to kayak, camp, and fish. Hope to make it next time.

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer
    Tarp
    Hennessy Asym
    Suspension
    Straps
    Looks like an awesome trip! Sucks to be a tent sleeper in terrain like that though eh?

I'm no expert when it comes to hammocks, or kayaks either for that matter, but I do know alot more about kayaks than hammocks! Here is mine...

It is a 16' ClearWaterDesign Gaspe, with rudder. For me, it is awesome.

Kayaks are different for everyone, you have to find the one that fits you best. Necky is one of the biggest brands out there, and they are excellent boats. Perception is also popular, and alot less expensive than Necky, but still a good boat, with a solid heritage behind them as well. Each Kayak will fit you differently, and is better suited for certain conditions than others.

It also depends what your main use for it is... if you are going to mostly just take it out for a couple hours on a Saturday afternoon or after work then a 16ft is probably overkill. I say that, although that is what I mainly use mine for, as I don't have alot of time for overnight trips . But for me its not a big deal to throw it on the roof of my car for a quick paddle. Alot of people would consider it overkill though. Alot of people agree that a 14ft is a good mix. Its a manageable size for those after work paddles but still has the gear capacity to do a weekend trip.

In the end it mostly comes down to personal choice though, so doing your research is key!

Hammock
    WBRR,WBXLC
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    HG,Wookie
    Suspension
    WEBBING
    That river is great. I paddle that river more than any other the section that goes through packsaddle gap is exceptional. For a great kayak camping trip the clarion river out of ridgeway pa is beautiful with great campsites in allegheny national forest
    CLYDE

foureyed - We rented them from Saltsburg River & Trail, super friendly, if not a tad disorganized. Would definitely go back to them though.

ref - you almost certainly saw us. We had a heck of a time finding a place to make camp because of that **** tent. We were quickly running out of day light when we found that spot. Not a single train was heard all day, then 6 throughout the night. At least that's what I was told, I slept through all but 2.

Canuck - thanks for the heads up, have been looking into a bunch of manufacturers

Hammock
    DD Traveller
    Tarp
    DD Camo
    Insulation
    Jarbridge
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Hi,
    I have a Cobra Expedition. Lots of storage and a rudder. I really recommend the rudder.
    My mate has one too. He says its the fastest hull speed of any plastic kayak.
    When he was leaving me for dead on the water one day, i complained about the alleged hull speed! He said, it was the motor (me)

• + New Posts