BIAS Hiker Lite Teal/Black
    Tarp
    GG Emergency Shltr
    Insulation
    Leighlo UQ
    Suspension
    BIAS standard kit
    Quote Originally Posted by wesswank View Post
    Lot's of reading and researching the threads caused me to send several emails and PM's this week, I spoke to Brian at BIAS this morning, ordered the WW Micro in DL w/ Knotty Mods. I went DL because in case you havent heard there are some rather large mosquitos in Louisiana and I also want to stick my full length neoair xlite in between layers when it is cooler. I also ordered the buginator. The only bad news is they are gaining in popularity SOO fast there is a 10 lead time on production, so here I sit waiting...

Hey Moderator, probably need to look at starting a BIAS thread soon!

Cant wait! Will report my findings as they develop. If the product is half as good as the customer service, it's gonna be awesome.

THANKS, BRIAN!
    Wes: When we started, everything was 7 days. I am not sure if the 10 day shipping that has now become normal is a result of our poor planning, exhaustion, volume or a little bit of all of it. Anyway, we are working to build up some inventory of standard items (which got depleted) and hopefully we can return to our 7-day order-to-door shipping. Thanks one and all for being so good to us.
    Last edited by jbrianb; 06-16-2012 at 14:21.
    --
    www.buttinasling.com
    Now carrying the Mini Tattoo Stove!
    Light weight. Low prices. Great gear.

Quote Originally Posted by wesswank View Post
    Lot's of reading and researching the threads caused me to send several emails and PM's this week, I spoke to Brian at BIAS this morning, ordered the WW Micro in DL w/ Knotty Mods. I went DL because in case you havent heard there are some rather large mosquitos in Louisiana and I also want to stick my full length neoair xlite in between layers when it is cooler. I also ordered the buginator. The only bad news is they are gaining in popularity SOO fast there is a 10 lead time on production, so here I sit waiting...

Hey Moderator, probably need to look at starting a BIAS thread soon!

Cant wait! Will report my findings as they develop. If the product is half as good as the customer service, it's gonna be awesome.

THANKS, BRIAN!

It is well worth the wait time...
    i have the ww in DL with the knotty mod and it is my hammock of choice and the Micro is always in my daypack .

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidewinder View Post
    I say give it another try. Flatten her out and spend the night. Report back in the morning.

S
    Havent had a chance to test it out again but defiantly not giving up yet.
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    Tarp
    GG Emergency Shltr
    Insulation
    Leighlo UQ
    Suspension
    BIAS standard kit
    Quote Originally Posted by lazy river road View Post
    So I tried out my WW in the back yard for an hour or two and found it to have a bit more stretch then I'd like almost to the point of me not really finding it to comfortable. I weigh between 210-215 and the weight limit is 250. So Well see what happens from here. maby Ill give it another go or end up selling it. Or give it to my nephew cause he asked for a hammock for his Birthday
    I won't deny some stretch in the WW, but I've used one quite a bit (at 230 lbs) and I find it pretty low (again, it's there, but within the realm of what I call minor) on stretch. What suspension system are you using? I ask this because the first time I got in a hammock, It stretched a ton. Turns out it wasn't the hammock, but the ENO SlapStraps my friend set up. Polyester webbing and AmSteel have ZERO stretch. If you're using polypro straps, you'll get a tiny bit more stretch than with polyester. If you're using nylon, you may as well use bungee.

If you try polyester webbing and still find the stretch unmanageable, it has to be the hammock. I'd be disappointed to hear that was the case, but I understand and would be willing to work with you on a return.

Holler back at me via email if you find it won't work.

Thanks, LRR!
    --
    www.buttinasling.com

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jbrianb View Post
    What suspension system are you using? I ask this because the first time I got in a hammock, It stretched a ton. Turns out it wasn't the hammock, but the ENO SlapStraps my friend set up. Polyester webbing and AmSteel have ZERO stretch.
    If an old pro like LRR is using ENO SlapStraps or any nylon strap, I'll eat them. They taste good lightly salted and are high in fiber. Then again, maybe he has a museum of hammock-related items, kind of like I still have my first IBM laptop with two floppy drives, weighed 15 or 20 lbs., and I just can't get rid of it. I still have fond memories of using that laptop in college.

I can see how stretch, however minor, could be annoying to some people. One of my first hammocks, the Byer Mosquito Hammock, is quite stretchy, in my opinion, but the stretchiness does not annoy me. There's a lot of things that annoy me about that hammock, but the stretchiness isn't one of them.

I have a BIAS DL, and I don't notice any stretchiness. Then again, one would expect less stretch from a DL, I think.

If the Weight Weenie doesn't work out for you, LRR, I'll take it. I've been eyeing one for a while.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    I think the stretch as related to comfort is a personal preference thing. Perhaps we need to add another factor in addition to weight when selecting a hammock material.

The prospective hanger should be asked whether they like to sleep on a hard mattress at home or a marshmallow of a mattress, or something in between. I suspect that the person that likes a hard mattress at home won't tolerate a lot of stretch in their hammock. Nor will the person sleeping on a marshmallow at home, prefer a non-stretching polyester hammock.

Then again, I could be completely wrong
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    Tarp
    GG Emergency Shltr
    Insulation
    Leighlo UQ
    Suspension
    BIAS standard kit
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    I think the stretch as related to comfort is a personal preference thing. Perhaps we need to add another factor in addition to weight when selecting a hammock material.

The prospective hanger should be asked whether they like to sleep on a hard mattress at home or a marshmallow of a mattress, or something in between. I suspect that the person that likes a hard mattress at home won't tolerate a lot of stretch in their hammock. Nor will the person sleeping on a marshmallow at home, prefer a non-stretching polyester hammock.

No... I think you're right. And LRR is probably picking up on that stretch. I see it as minor, but Mad, you're right... It's all about preference. I like my mattress SLIGHTLY soft otherwise my hip gets numb from side sleeping! And I don't doubt/argue that there is stretch in the hammock. To me... barely discernible. But if it were food and someone tossed some curry in it, I could taste it (and gag) from across the street. Same for some with hammock stretch as you say. It's why there are so many hammock options and makers. Lots of choices for discerning users!
    --
    www.buttinasling.com

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images

That's a great analogy - not sure it's completely transferable from beds to hammocks, but still a great analogy. For example, I like hard beds, but I don't necessarily care about stretch in a hammock. The hammock sleep, to me, transcends issues of soft vs. hard, but for some it may not.

It may be that I just need to experience more hammocks, stretchier versus non-stretchy material, and then I will have more a more nuanced opinion of what I like. In all likelihood, the more hammocks you try, the more educated you will be about your own personal preferences.

For example, I tried the Warbonnet Blackbird for one night. The night I tried it, I was late getting to camp, was unfamiliar with the strap suspension, never got it pitched right (foot end higher than head), and it was 17 degrees and my fingers lost the desire to fiddle with it anymore. I just jumped in, didn't have it dialed in, and didn't have a great night's sleep. I was also undergoing an epiphany that I didn't particularly like integrated bugnets in winter. So I didn't give the WBBB a fair shake at all. I didn't like it, but one night is not a fair evaluation. I know that. One day I will buy one and give it a more thorough evaluation to see if it meets my needs.

That's the great thing about this forum: you can buy it, try it, sell it, and not lose much in the long run. And if you reconsider a certain product, you can do it all again!
    Last edited by SilvrSurfr; 06-19-2012 at 01:31.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Taking the WBBB that you mentioned as an example, it comes in 1.1 and 1.7 oz material and there's a double layer version of each. That's 4 different "hardness" settings. It kind of sounds like a "Sleep Number" bed!
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    Tarp
    GG Emergency Shltr
    Insulation
    Leighlo UQ
    Suspension
    BIAS standard kit
    Taking the WBBB that you mentioned as an example, it comes in 1.1 and 1.7 oz material and there's a double layer version of each. That's 4 different "hardness" settings. It kind of sounds like a "Sleep Number" bed!
    I like that. I'm going to remember that one. We can apply that logic to our Camper DL - super hard setting. Camper SL - Moderately firm. WW DL - Moderate. WW SL - Soft. WWM DL - Medium. WW SL - Super soft.
    --
    www.buttinasling.com

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast