nano hammock w/ridge
    Tarp
    wb spinn edge
    Insulation
    yeti & jrb torso
    Suspension
    whoopie

hanging in Baxter State park

first, I have to confess that I haven't visited hammock forums for a while, and it looks like i've missed a lot!!! will be back more often to keep up on product development.

i'll be at Baxter State Park in September, and i've reserved a couple of "walk-in" camp sites -- at Katahdin Stream and at Roaring Brook. anybody have experience hanging at these camp areas?

I was there tent camping with someone who used a hammock. He asked the ranger (pretty sure his name was Bill) before setting it up and the ranger was fine with it.

BUT... My experiences in general with the park people there have not been that positive. My friends and I were out about $70 because someone told us the wrong thing about parking policy. We asked for a refund and were told, "Consider it a donation to the park."

After that we had to pay a guide company there in Maine to shuttle us after taking our car to a spot. We were almost denied re-entry into the park to hike and meet up with our group who were about 45 min ahead of us because we turned in our parking permit when we left. We asked these same rangers 3 times if we would need it to get back in before leaving and they said, "No."

So even though we got an OK we were (thankfully) only in the park one night during the hike and I can't guarantee anything for you. If I am ever on that last section of AT again I will try to make it with zero nights stay in baxter.
    Last edited by mophead; 06-05-2012 at 14:47.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Mamajamb
    Insulation
    Down UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Cinch
    I've been wondering the same thing - I have a trip planned in September, with "Lean To's" reserved at Roaring Brook and Chimney Pond. they dont give you the option to reserve a tenting spot, so I'm almost afraid to ask if they will allow hanging....

Hammock
    Home Made
    Tarp
    BCUSA 10x10 Tan
    Insulation
    working on a UQ
    Suspension
    switch to whoopie

hanging in Baxter State park

Living here in Maine ,I've been to both places " Outstanding " I could check for You. Shoot me a pm and I'll check it out for you and also post what I found out. Hanging is new to me always tented.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Mamajamb
    Insulation
    Down UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Cinch
    There has to be someone here that has has investigated hammocking at these campsites...I REALLY don't want to revert back to sleeping on a flat pad! Maybe I'll just have to call and ask...

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Mamajamb
    Insulation
    Down UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Cinch
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Wind View Post
    I've been wondering the same thing - I have a trip planned in September, with "Lean To's" reserved at Roaring Brook and Chimney Pond. they dont give you the option to reserve a tenting spot, so I'm almost afraid to ask if they will allow hanging....
    Well, I had to go and find out for myself. I decided that it was better to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission, so I just planned to hang INSIDE the lean-to. In both cases, at Roaring Brook lean-to and at Chimney Pond lean-to, it worked out ok. I took my DIY hammock and a set of short straps with cinch buckles, and hooked them in around small openings and beams inside the lean-to. The Chimney Pond lean-to was REALLY small, and I had my doubts if I was going to be able to hang, but I made it work. The hang wasn't ideal, but I made do and was very comfy and warm. My poor friend, however, who slept below me on a Big Ag air pad, had back spasms each night and is likely a hammock convert now
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 or BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Tewa, Speer, H.G.
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Images
    When I lived in Maine we hammocked within Baxter State Park - or it may be just outside of it...not sure. The Iron Works for the Gulf Hagas trail near Brownville Junxtion. Before that hanging at the N.E.O.C. rafting company with whom my good friend is a raft guide with, we got free class 5 rapid trips! (and FOOD!) NEOC is right near that little general store along the AT at the 100 mile wilderness that sits along the "Golden Road", for you A.T.'ers that are familiar with what I am talking about (I forget the name!)

I too, had a bad experience with the folks there at the park, not the rafting company. We got there and checked in all fine and the sign at the station said 10 dollars a camp site. When we wanted to leave they tried charging us 60 or 70 bucks for the campsite and I proceeded to explain to the man working there that the sign only says 10 dollars per site - and that is what we will pay. I am was being persistent, remaining polite the whole time, your sign says one thing, but you are telling me another? I also asked him to prove to me that that price is a per person basis and I will gladly pay it, but that sign said something otherwise. He grabbed brochures and could not produce anything that said per person. Perhaps whoever wrote the sign messed up...??

He grew furious, literally spitting as he talked, threw his pen at me, and told me to "GET OUT!" But listen, the sign said 10 dollars a site, and that is what we will pay. So my passive aggressive friend said here is 10 bucks, that is what we thought we were paying, fix the sign and next time we will know.

70 bucks is a lot of money to camp there. Its beautiful there, and I will go back (he wont remember me ) I am also a wildlife biologists and I understand these places need funding, but when your sign says one thing and your employer is trying to take a different amount of money I believe that is foul. I don't even pay that much for a site in the Pine Barrens.

B.T.W. next time you are in the area, do the Gulf Hagas Trail. It is truly amazing!
    Last edited by Deadphans; 09-12-2013 at 18:52.
    "In seed time learn, in harvest teach, in winter enjoy." -D'Signore's, Tide Mill Farm, Edmunds, Maine.

• + New Posts