WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings

cutting sil with a soldering iron concerns

hey guys, I know alot of people use a soldering iron to cut rip stop and silnylon. I like the idea of an edge that is seared/sealed, but am concerned about breathing fumes (melted plastic) Do you use a respirator? If so, what type, and what type of cartridges do you use? Or is there another way to go about this without poisoning my self!????????
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    I didn't...and had no odor. It cuts like butter, super easy, and so fast. It's not like you holding it there to burn it up and release a lot of fumes. Mind didn't even smoke. I used a wood burning tool....but the results are going to be the same which is fast and easy. Lay a straight edge along your long so you can move along quickly and accurately.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Nope. With a small tip on the iron there's very little material melted. Just don't let it build up on the tip. Occasionally I'll use a piece of sandpaper to clean nylon off the tip, but it's not necessary most of the time. Different materials with different melting points and different thicknesses all behave ... differently. Adjust accordingly. Weather permitting, I open a window or work on the porch. A sheet of masonite makes a nice work surface. Formica is better. Plate glass is better still.

Hammock
    WB Traveller or my DIY gathered-end
    Tarp
    DIY 8x10
    Insulation
    Pads, usually
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Dutchgear
    Garage floor, cutting on plywood. Doors open. No odor, plenty of clean air.

I get some funny looks from passing neighbors, but hey- who isn't used to that?

Hammock
    DD Travel Hammock/Bivi
    Tarp
    DD Tarp MC
    Insulation
    DD UQ / Thermarest
    Suspension
    T-hugger/whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
    Nope. With a small tip on the iron there's very little material melted. Just don't let it build up on the tip. Occasionally I'll use a piece of sandpaper to clean nylon off the tip, but it's not necessary most of the time. Different materials with different melting points and different thicknesses all behave ... differently. Adjust accordingly. Weather permitting, I open a window or work on the porch. A sheet of masonite makes a nice work surface. Formica is better. Plate glass is better still.
    I use a soldering iron for cutting paracord and such like which also sometimes builds up on the tip.

I've carried over a trick I learned in fly tying for removing fly varnish from needles...pack a 35mm film tub with wire wool and use this to dip the tip into, the wire strips off any adhered bits and (if done carefully) the soldering iron doesn't need to be switched off.

Hammock
    WB DL 1.1
    Tarp
    WB superfly
    Insulation
    DIY-900 down UQ-TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie-
    Images
    I previously used the soldering iron techinque when I first started. Now I use one of those rotary cutting devices; you can pick one up at any place that sells sewing equipment. It's much easier and gives you an evenly cut line with no problems. You will no longer be bothered about the cord and heat of an iron. The rotary cutter doesn't fray the material, the fact that the soldering iron doesn't fray the material is fine, but when making anything, the edges are always folded over and sewn, so that doesn't really matter an awful lot.

i don't know if it's dangerous the breathe the fumes but, I set up my shop vac in the garage. The canister sits out side the roll up door and the hose is routed inside to the cutting area to suck up the fumes.. The door down to within 3>4 inches...if the wind is comming from the wrong quater.. i change to use the window

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    thanks for the advice! I changed to a smaller tip on my soldering iron and its much better!
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Hammock
    Banyan bridge, BIAS gathered
    Tarp
    ZPacks w doors
    Insulation
    HG; JRB
    Suspension
    Straps & beckett
    Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
    +1 on everything WV says above. I use my ping pong table, but the result is some interesting marks on the surface.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

• + New Posts