DIY gathered n whipped w/ bug net
    Tarp
    diy winters dream
    Insulation
    DIY bag to UC
    Suspension
    whoopies

Advice on leaving Las Vegas

At the end of the month I'm going to be in Las Vegas for work and I'm going to take a couple of days off for camping. I've been looking at central California, southern Nevada,north western Arizona and southern Utah. A neighbour said the Lake Mead is more of a RV park, a new co-worker (ground dweller) said check out the parks near Flagstaff Arizona. So far in my own reading Zion National Park looks nice but as I've never been in the area I could use some advice from local hangers or those that have camped in the area. Any suggestions would be appreciated

The Beautiful Black Hills of South Dakota
    Hammock
    WARBONNET 1.1 DOUBLE, DIY BRIDGE
    Tarp
    DIY ARGON CAMO/BMJ
    Insulation
    DIY DOWN TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    STRAPS/BUCKLES
    my girlfriend is down there right now and has been hiking and camping in the zion, dixie national forest and capitol reef area of southern utah, and i also have spent some time in those areas camping and hiking and i can tell you for certain "you won't be disappointed" visiting that area at all

IT IS SIMPLY AMAZING!

boot
    The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us. ~Bill Watterson

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    ZPacks cuben
    Insulation
    WB, JRB, or HG
    Suspension
    Webbing
    There are some great spots to camp up at Mt Charleston (Spring Mountain National Recreation Area). Its about an hour out of Vegas and the higher elevation keeps the temperatures down. Plenty of places to hang!

Also check out Valley of Fire State Park. AWESOME area to camp but there are no trees. I've hung from the overhangs in the sites though.

Lake Mead is a drag right now. Water is really low and it just isn't worth the trip in my opinion.

Hope this helps.

Jay

Hammock
    Tarp
    diy winters dream
    Insulation
    DIY bag to UC
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by jayf124 View Post
    There are some great spots to camp up at Mt Charleston (Spring Mountain National Recreation Area).

Lake Mead is a drag right now. Water is really low and it just isn't worth the trip in my opinion.
    I'll check out Mt Charleston, that's so close to Vegas. Where else would you suggest within a few hours of Vegas? But I have to be able to use my hammock, its a business trip and dont want to travel with my tent (to big).

Hammock
    WBBB Dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    OES deluxe
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    If you have never been in that region before, I would drive to Zion. It is about 2.5 hours via I-15. Try to get an overnight permit for the West Rim Trail. Begin at Lava Point and hike down into the canyon, right past Angel's Landing. It is a single overnight trip, and most of the sites have good trees. #1,2,and 3 would be closest to halfway. If you have no fear of heights, hike up Angel's, but hold on to the chains.

Eat at either The Bit and Spur, or Whiptail Grill for mexican, and Zion Pizza and Noodle for great pizza.

This thread from yesterday has a link to pictures of the individual sites.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=54216

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY SilArgon
    Insulation
    DIY Down/Synthetic
    Suspension
    Line/strap
    Images
    As boothill mentioned, I am in Vegas right now. I was able to stop in Zion on my way down....the park is STUNNING....but hanging in either of the main campgrounds would be iffy. I had a couple of days off and drove up to the St. George area. It's an easy 110 miles from here, and the campground where i stayed Pine Valley is about 30 miles north of town. You'd get out of the heat and have a good chance of hanging there. There are a bunch of trails right there, or you could make a day trip to Zion at about 50 miles away. Hope this helps!
    "You'll never get a Purple Heart hiding in a foxhole." Capt. H. P. Crowe, USMC; Guadalcanal, 13 Jan 1943

'I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals. I'm a vegetarian because I hate plants." A. Whitney Brown

"Everything takes longer once a cat gets involved." sm

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Just took a family trip to Capitol Reef National park. Its a bit off the beaten path, but there were no crowds, and the scenery was really great---I m not into crowds, so this was a perfect fit for me! We stayed in Torrey, and did day hikes------awesome place! (didnt look too good for hanging though!) That whole part of the country is so beautiful: you really cant go wrong!
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Hammock
    Tarp
    diy winters dream
    Insulation
    DIY bag to UC
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by sodakgrrl View Post
    I was able to stop in Zion on my way down....the park is STUNNING.... i stayed Pine Valley is about 30 miles north of town. You'd get out of the heat and have a good chance of hanging there. There are a bunch of trails right there, or you could make a day trip to Zion at about 50 miles away. Hope this helps!
    The more I read about southern Utah, the more I like it. I think both Pine Valley and Lava Point deserve at least a night each if I can make the time

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY winter
    Insulation
    ATP
    Suspension
    Whoopies & webbing
    Out of all those places, I've only been around Flagstaff, but it's awesome. If you want to get out of the heat a bit, that's the place to go.

Hammock
    WBB, Sierra Madre Para
    Tarp
    WB MamaJamba
    Southern Utah, aka "Color Country", can't be beat. If you want a little culture, depending on your timing, you can catch some really good theater in Cedar City at the Utah Shakespearean Festival.

Between Zion, Bryce and Capitol Reef National Parks, plus the state parks (Kodachrome Basin comes to mind) the scenery is beyond compare. And there are plenty of trees.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast