Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images

US, FL, Ocala National Forest, 6/10 & 11/2012

Going to do a training hike for my upcoming Foothills Trail trek this coming Sunday and Monday, and I figured that I should throw it open for whomever wants to come. Note that it's going to be a long one, though.

The plan I have so far is to park at the FT trail head at FR 50, right at the north end of the Juniper Prairie Wilderness Area on the night of Saturday, 6/9. Wake up on the morning of 6/10 before dawn and hit the trail by 06:30. Hike down past Alexander Springs to the vicinity of the boardwalk across the stream there (unnamed but in the Data Book as "northernmost boardwalk"). It should be about thirty-one miles for the day, plus any side trips to get water. The longest stretch between water should be about ten miles (from Whiskey Creek to Farles Prairie). If I find that I'm getting too tired, there's a stop at about mile twenty-two for the day at Dora Pond that has water (though it's a pain to get to); it may even be possible that Brook Pond has water again after the storms during the last couple of weeks (there wasn't any in there in January).

If worse comes to worst, and there is no water at the creek under the boardwalk on 6/11, the plan is to camp there for the night and then hike into Alexander Springs and pay the day-use fee ($5) to get water from the restroom there--about four miles from the camp site.

If anyone wants, we can put together a shuttle system for 6/11 so that we don't have to do back-to-back thirty milers. The trick would be to park at either the Alexander Springs, Salt Springs, or SR 19 trail head and then hike to the car before driving back up to FR 50. Otherwise, the plan is to hike right back on up and, depending on how tired I am, either spend the night at the FR 50 trail head or drive on home.

If anyone's interested in going, let me know!

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Won't be able to make this one FLR. I'll be hanging by the the creek at the G-daughters in Fort Valley, VA. Enjoy.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

I'd get down on this but I'm family camping this weekend with relatives in town...

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by olddog View Post
    Won't be able to make this one FLR. I'll be hanging by the the creek at the G-daughters in Fort Valley, VA. Enjoy.
    Sorry to hear that, olddog. I know you'd keep me on pace, for certain. I hope everything goes well with the family this weekend!

Quote Originally Posted by mmaiolo81 View Post
    I'd get down on this but I'm family camping this weekend with relatives in town...
    Well, maybe next time, mmaiolo. I'll keep you in mind for my next trip!

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Too hot for me! I'm waiting 'till the first snow
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    Too hot for me! I'm waiting 'till the first snow
    C'mon, Mike! There's enough white sand in Ocala for you to fake it. It's gonna be all the way down to 71 on Sunday night; I should bring the winter parka! And it'll only get up to 88 during the day! I don't know what I'm going to do...those 10,000 mm passes are going to be hard with that white stuff on the ground...

More seriously, though, hope to see you at the next one.

Hammock
    WWM,ENO SN, DIY,WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly/Tadpole
    Insulation
    DOWN :)
    Suspension
    Strap & Whoopie
    To fat I would die ..lol

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Tattoo View Post
    To fat I would die ..lol
    Heh. You might surprise yourself. I'm not exactly svelte m'self, and I'm good for at least twenty miles. Most of it is being able to ignore discomfort and just keeping on. Stubbornness is underrated when it comes to long-distance movement.

We're gonna find out if I'm good for thirty this weekend, though...

Hammock
    WWM,ENO SN, DIY,WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly/Tadpole
    Insulation
    DOWN :)
    Suspension
    Strap & Whoopie
    Whats the trail like is it alot of suger sand ? I would love to do it . have alot of new gear I would like to try out ..dont know about the back to back 30's though lol

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Tattoo View Post
    Whats the trail like is it alot of suger sand ? I would love to do it . have alot of new gear I would like to try out ..dont know about the back to back 30's though lol
    Most of it is fairly well-packed sand with some short grass sections and a few fern sections with blowdowns (or, at least, they were there last year). Not much sugar sand, but there is some now and again. The trail winds through just about every ecosystem Florida has to offer: everything from longleaf pine scrub (lot of that) to xeric hardwood hammock to scrub oak hammock (lot of that, too) to lowland semi-tropical jungle to turkey oak/longleaf pine hammock (very pretty in and around the Alexander Springs area) to true palmetto scrub and everything in between. Lots of banana spiders and ticks, though. Occasional bears, deer, snakes, huge grasshoppers, hawks, buzzards, sandhill cranes, whooperwills, and an whole lot more wildlife. Here's my trip report from last August. It's got some photos and a video (scroll down) that should give you an idea of the terrain.

If you want to tag along for part of the day, I'd be up for that. There are a couple of good spots to stop along the way.

At mile 3.5 for the day, there's Hidden Pond (it ain't very well hidden, though; this is the spot where you're most likely to find other folks), which has swimming and a spring-fed pond to get water from.

At mile 5.7 there's Whiskey Creek. Very pretty little site just off of the trail with running water within easy walking distance.

At mile 15 to 16, there's Farles Prairie. Very pretty campsites on the islands out in the prairie. Bear activity here last year put me off from it, though; there was a cub involved and I was on a solo trip. Water was there, but hard to get to. On the other hand, there was water within relatively easy walking distance at Farles Campground (unfortunately not open for overnighters this time of year) at about mile 16.1, available from both the pitcher pump and the lake.

At mile 22.4, there's Dora Pond. There are some sites back among the trees there, though you have to search a bit off-trail for them. The water in the pond is a pain to get to; it's down in black, ankle-deep mud. But the morning light shining on the misty pond is to die for.

Unfortunately, after that, the next water source is all the way at my intended campsite. If you're interested in tagging along for a portion of the trail, let me know!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast