After making and wearing my DIY Raiffnuke Rain Kilt for a hike in the summer weather we have been having, I decided I needed a light weight, breathable hiking kilt. So, using a generous donation from a HF friend of mine (thanks mbnow!), I came up with my DIY Raiffnuke Hiking Kilt. The kilt is 22" tall (from waist to knees) and the raw (unpleated) length is 7 1/2 yds. The finished length is 64". I made this out of 1.1 ACU ripstop. The finished weight is 6.2 oz. The construction took between 5 and 6 hours to complete from beginning to end, not counting the design phase. I made a really neat spreadsheet in excel to lay out the plans, and if I can figure out how to attach it, I will.
So, without further ado...here are some pictures....
Raiffnuke Hiking Kilt, Front:
Inside Pleat Detail:
Outside Pleat Detail (this looks a little crooked, but that is from the gathering caused by the elastic in the waistband):
Kilt Pattern.xls So, here is the Excel pattern that I made. If you click on the little 1 & 2 in the top left of the spreadsheet, you can change views to see it pleated and unpleated. Some of the data got lost in the conversion from .xlsx to .xls, sorry, can't do much about that.
The pictures don't do the kilt justice. You can't really see how well the pleats lay and move. Each pleat, 27 in total, is 8" deep with 1" over lap, so 9" in total fabric length in each pleat. Every pleat is stitched the entire vertical length from top to bottom on the inside fold and stitched 4" from the top on the outside fold, half of which is covered and hidden by the waistband. There is a lot of detail that went into this project and I hope the finished product shows how much work went into this.
Let me know what you think, and thanks for looking.