Mosquito Jungle
    Tarp
    Oware 8x10 w/Beaks
    Insulation
    DIY SPE w/ccf, etc
    Suspension
    JRB webbing

Decisions, Decisions, ...

I'm planning an AT section hike from 19E to Mt. Rogers HQ in early September using a HH ULBA w/#2 zip mods/Speer 10x11 tarp. Expected low temps range from 45-55 degF. w/30's not uncommon. I sleep cold and am considering either of the following quilt combinations:

1) JRB Shenendoah UQ w/3/8"ccf pad/SPE/wings; JRB N'Sniveler TQ, w/lt wt l/s shirt/bottoms/hat/gloves; or
    2) N'Sniveler UQ; Shenendoah TQ w/heavy fleece shirt/bottoms/hat/gloves/sox.

I'm leaning toward #1 cuz I expect I could handle 40 deg or slightly below with that set-up. With #2, I expect to handle 45 deg, but not much lower. I could take my JRB WeatherShield2, but I'd rather not carry the 8 oz. unless really bad weather is expected. Decisions, decisions, ...

Has anyone used the JRB quilts in these combinations? If so, your experience? Your assistance will be most WARMLY appreciated!
    "A good traveler has no fixed plans and is not intent on arriving." - Lao Tzu

OK, I don't have the NS or SPE, so I can't speak with authority. But, if it were me, I'd use the NS UQ, sheandoah TQ and either the WS over that if needed, or OVER the top of the hammock if it's windy, or as you say just some spare clothes. I bet you won't need the clothes unless it gets below 45.

I'm expecting 55 this weekend and I'm thinking I will do JRB stealth TQ, oware pad and WS underneath. I've also got a silk liner My other JRB is an RMS which is probably too heavy for this trip, though I am tempted to take it instead of the pad/WS combo anyway. I will be asking for a NS for xmas.

come to think of it though, my RMS is only 8 oz heavier than the pad/liner/WS. Maybe I'll rethink this myself...

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I don't have those quilts either, but I would rather be a few ozs over prepared than a few ozs under prepared personally.
    I love being comfy in my hammock at night<G>.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Mosquito Jungle
    Tarp
    Oware 8x10 w/Beaks
    Insulation
    DIY SPE w/ccf, etc
    Suspension
    JRB webbing
    Thanks, guys. I think I may reconsider the set-up w/pads based on your comments. The NS will provide enough bottom warmth and if I use the Shenendoah, I'll still have extra insulating clothes for on top. It'll be fun either way.
    "A good traveler has no fixed plans and is not intent on arriving." - Lao Tzu

Hammock
    DD modular jungle hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FishBone View Post
    I'm planning an AT section hike from 19E to Mt. Rogers HQ in early September using a HH ULBA w/#2 zip mods/Speer 10x11 tarp. Expected low temps range from 45-55 degF. w/30's not uncommon. I sleep cold and am considering either of the following quilt combinations:

1) JRB Shenendoah UQ w/3/8"ccf pad/SPE/wings; JRB N'Sniveler TQ, w/lt wt l/s shirt/bottoms/hat/gloves; or
    2) N'Sniveler UQ; Shenendoah TQ w/heavy fleece shirt/bottoms/hat/gloves/sox.

I'm leaning toward #1 cuz I expect I could handle 40 deg or slightly below with that set-up. With #2, I expect to handle 45 deg, but not much lower. I could take my JRB WeatherShield2, but I'd rather not carry the 8 oz. unless really bad weather is expected. Decisions, decisions, ...

Has anyone used the JRB quilts in these combinations? If so, your experience? Your assistance will be most WARMLY appreciated!
    i have used a poncho liner under quilt that is made like the jrb nest down to 48 degrees wearing nothing but a t shirt and shorts.i used the same poncho liner
    under quit in my hennessey hammock down to 28 degrees with it filled with dry leaves.i never could understand why people carry a pad and an underquilt
    a 3/8 pad is good for the single digits for me.the poncho liner nest under quilt was made by peter pan,i bought it from him about 4 years ago.here is a pic of that set up.neo

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery...r&imageuser=11
    the matrix has you

Neo's blood is apparently ice water. Newbies shouldn't try to copy him until they figure out what works for them.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jaiden View Post
    Neo's blood is apparently ice water. Newbies shouldn't try to copy him until they figure out what works for them.
    True... what works for neo wont work for everyone, including me
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

• + New Posts