Hammock
    ENO/tablecloth
    Tarp
    wb superfly
    Insulation
    yeti,peapod(1st v
    Suspension
    whoopies treestrap
    dakotaross was right on!! when i read the responses for this thread i decided to keep my mouth shut, since i am very familiar with smp. the responses angered me. is a great park for family camping and a great place to be for family fun during the day! much cooler head today!
    Peanuts

"A womans place is on the trail"

For the OP and the others contributing to this thread to make up your own conclusions.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Stone-...n-Georgia.html
    http://www.neighborhoodscout.com/ga/...ountain/crime/
    http://www.idcide.com/citydata/ga/stone-mountain.htm

And yes I agree with visiting the park during the day as well as watching the laser show.

Hammock
    ENO/tablecloth
    Tarp
    wb superfly
    Insulation
    yeti,peapod(1st v
    Suspension
    whoopies treestrap
    warlock your links is for the city of stone mountain, diff than the park!!
    two different worlds all together! the only way to the park is by the entrace, which you have to pay for and if you are not an overnight guest, you have to leave the park.
    Peanuts

"A womans place is on the trail"

Correct peanuts. I was giving simply the area rates. It is up to those deciding to make up their own conclusions.

If you notice on the maps the actual park is considered the safest of areas including the golf course.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Area rates are not relevant to the park, and I don't see how the shaded maps comparing crime rates in nearby areas to the park could be relevant either. If I'm unaware of something, please inform me, but I couldn't find anything when I googled crime in Stone Mountain Park - other than what came up for the city, which again, is not relevant to the park.

p.s. thx peanuts!

[ removed ]
    Last edited by warloc4326; 06-06-2012 at 16:22. Reason: no reason to continue posting.

Hammock
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images

still not relevant

let's move on
    Last edited by dakotaross; 06-06-2012 at 16:47. Reason: removing my reply as well

Hammock
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    I just want to clarify for any future readers of this thread... I am of the opinion that Stone Mountain Park is safe, and I do not know of ANY info to the contrary. I find it difficult to see where area crime stats mean anything to a stay in the park if there is no apparent overflow of such crime. And let's be serious, we're not talking about a surrounding area similar to Grant Park!

I welcome any factual or anecdotal evidence to the contrary, but let's not throw around statistics or experiences that are not specific to the park when someone asks a question specifically about the park. I'm left to presume that those who have chimed in with negative opinions of Stone Mountain Park so far have been avoiding the park because of the surrounding area and haven't really been using the park. Or maybe they just got lost at night getting home from the Laser Show.

It would be helpful to me - and others, too - to know if there is a problem there. Certainly, it wouldn't surprise me too much because how the surrounding area has gone downhill. But in general, places like this that are both park territory and money-making retail/recreation facilities, are very aggressive with the mere perception of crime within their boundaries as it potentially would have such an adverse effect on profits and jobs.

Hammock
    DIY Tablecloth
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    DIY 5 oz CS Apex
    Suspension
    Straps w TiBuckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dakotaross View Post
    I don't want to create enemies here, but I have to say that besides the comment about July being hot and muggy in GA, all other comments above are laughable. I mean, seriously, "driving on the highway near there" is not in the park, and frankly, there aren't many exits that are truly near the park. A "stone's throw" distance from the campground is either a golf course or a lake (if you're interested in skipping stones). And besides, almost all of the park is bordered by residential neighborhoods or forest.

If we're talking inside the park, then I have to say that the comments sound racially motivated. For sure, the minority population (not sure that's technically correct, but let's use that pseudonym for now) has found the park to its liking, but that's mostly for daytime family outings, not the campground in general. I've got a pass to the park and I go out there maybe once a month to climb the mountain or bike, and have camped there twice with my boy over the past year or so.

The fact is that its expensive, but its one of the nicest campgrounds in the Atlanta area (where there aren't many), plus there is a lot of family stuff to do there. In general, I wouldn't camp there because there are plenty of places to camp in N.Ga that I would much prefer, but I have camped there in order to introduce my boy to camping in an environment he was familiar with and somewhat close to home. In terms of the Atlanta area, I can't think of a better campground. If you all know of one, let me know. And I've never heard planes at night there.

Yes, the state parks are great, but let's not make it sound like they are security gated as Stone Mountain Park is - not to mention having they're own police dept as SMP does. The "locked gates" at most state parks only prevent traffic from coming in late at night, whereas SMP only allows traffic that has paid for a permit.

It looks like the negative comments have swayed the OP not to stay there and while that in and of itself is not tragic, I do think that this family was not served well by this forum as a result of what I consider to be false comments.
    Dakotaross is spot on. I lived in the shadow of that rock for 22 years growing up (I'm 47...you do the math). I'm a bit further away now but still not too far and we make it over to SMP a couple of times a year. The park itself is still a fun and safe place.

I think the areas some are referring to are along Memorial Drive between the park and I-285. That area is definitely a rough these days but its far enough away that it shouldn't be a deterrent from going to the park and you can get into the park without traveling on Memorial Drive. FWIW I wouldn't hesitate for a moment to take my own family and camp there...

So once again like dakotaross is stating stay inside of the park boundaries when you get to that location and don't go wandering down through stone mountain city. This will be your best bet and please research the surrounding areas before you travel outside to play it safe for groceries and the such.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast