Hammock
    ENO/tablecloth
    Tarp
    wb superfly
    Insulation
    yeti,peapod(1st v
    Suspension
    whoopies treestrap
    why would anyone go to the city of stone mountain??? [U]there is absolutely [/U]nothing in the city of stone mountain, ga so, there fore no harm no foul. if they want to explore outside the park, well there is lilburn, but not much to do there either. snellville, well lost of restaurants and several small scale shopping malls. lawrenceville, same thing.
    or if they do want to explore outside the park. keep going west on hwy 78 to the hyde museum, midtown atl and or buckhead, or centennial park

and i am shutting up now...
    Peanuts

"A womans place is on the trail"

Hammock
    DIY tableclothsfactory
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    DIY down
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Thank you all for your responses both positive and other wise. I would be willing to bet that at most campgrounds in the US you can find undesirable people/things, it is just an unfortunate product of the world we live in today. The thought of the noise level is more of a concern for me, planes and major neighborhoods. I think we have decided to stay at High Falls. We plan on driving to HF and camping for the night, getting up and going to Stone Mt for the day of fun and laser show and then coming back to HF to get some rest before continuing on our trip. (we have 2 days to blow) You would have to expect large crowds of people at Stone Mt simply because of it being a "theme park" of sorts and its location to Atlanta (lots of people).

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Its an hour drive to SM from HF. Its two hours getting back from the laser show if you're lucky.

Hammock
    WB Traveler 1.7 single
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH/strap
    Images

At Stone Mountain

We spent 4 nights at Stone Mountain after Christmas 18 months ago. We took the popup trailer, and there were some wicked cold temperatures to deal with (for a Florida family). I was still a hammock novice then, but I spent the last two nights in the hammock at the campsite.

For the record, there is a rule that nothing is to be attached to trees, but I had no complaints about being in the hammock. Couldn't stealth camp in the middle of the RV campground.

“Indian builds small fire and stays warm, white man builds big fire and stays warm collecting firewood”—unknown

“The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea”—Karen Blixen

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    You will probably be late getting out of the Laser Show, and may want to reconsider staying in the park. I found the park very nice, and was glad to be close and not have to fight the line of cars to get out of the park, and then to have to drive another hour to HF. Phew, staying in the park that night would be so much easier, and again I found it very nice.
    "No whining in the woods"

Hammock
    DIY Spruce Goose
    Tarp
    HG CF Airstream
    Insulation
    DIY Apex Mr Hankey
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks
    Stone Mountain Park is a lot of fun! It gets pretty busy in the summer. I recently moved after living on the back side of the mountain for several years. I went there almost everyday while I lived there and seemed to always find something new each time I went. I typically stayed away from the north side of the mountain where all the crowds are. The park itself is free, you just have to pay for a parking pass. For a day visit you can park in the village by the caboose and ride your bikes in for free. Only thing is they close that path at dark but there are plenty of other ways back out. It will definitely be a late night if you stay for the laser show. Honestly it's really not that noisy around there, actually down right peaceful for being in a major city. If I were you I'd stay there if I was going to see the laser show. You may have to reserve a spot this time of year though. If you want any more info on good eats nearby or grocery stores, I will be happy to help.
    MEDICINE
    MAN
    The GAME '03

Medicine Man's YouTube Channel

Hammock
    WBBB Dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    Hex
    Insulation
    DIY underquilt
    Images
    Funny to see Stone Mountain on a thread here:

Stone Mountain was the first mountain I ever climbed--was about seven or eight years old. I remember my cousin (much older than I) pointing out the surrounding mountains in NC/TN to the north.

I had no idea what the Appalachian Trail was at the time--or the effect those mountains would have on me later in my life, but I always thank cousin Steve for taking the time to hike up there with my brother and I.

I had forgotten all this until recently I flew into Atlanta and saw Stone Mountain and it 'clicked'. It was basically the impetus for all my future adventures. Thanks cousin Steve!!!

Hammock
    DangerBird 72, WBBB
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF, WBSF
    Insulation
    AHE New River
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Magnolia Springs State Park is another great place to stay on the way to HHI from Stone Mtn. It's close to half way and easily accessed from I - 20. Small quiet campground, pool, pond with alligators and canoe rentals. We did it. They're more scared of you. Some civil war history there too. Great place in the middle of nowhere.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    Big Mamajamba
    Insulation
    What's insulation?
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    We camp at Stone Mtn on a regular basis and I couldn't disagree more with the negatives. We've never felt unsafe there and once in the park you feel like you're a thousand miles from the city of Stone Mountain. If you are dead set against staying there, check out Moccasin Creek SP on the north side of Lake Burton - it may be the nicest state park we've camped at. And FYI, we average about 50 nights a year of camping. Anyhow, that's my $.02...YMMV.

Hammock
    DIY hammock, or modified ENO DN
    Tarp
    Varies
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I'm sure you guys will have a great time at High Falls, but for future reference don't be concerned about staying at Stone Mountain.
    I agree that the surrounding area can be a bit rough, but you will not have a single thing to worry about within the park, there is police department located right in the park, great group of fellas that patrol the interior 24/7.
    Enjoy your trip.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast