Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    DIY down
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images

Stone Mountain Park GA.

Hello hangers, My family and I are planning a trip to Hilton Head in a few months and want to make a stop in Stone Mountain Park in Georgia. Have any of you ever visited or stayed there? I have convinced my wife to try hammock camping she only has one request. We take the tent for a backup . My thoughts are to get on the Lake side of the park so that it will be a little cooler and quieter vs. the Pool side. My kids are all for it (they have hung before) but my wife is a little apprehensive to say the least. I still need to make bug nets for all 4 hammocks and was thinking of using a light weight fleece blanket for underquilts, will this be enough given it is going to be mid July?

Hammock
    DreamHammock!
    Tarp
    DDXL/OESUltra
    Suspension
    AWS!!
    Never been to Stone Mountain but I hope you're taking your bikes with you to HHI....You can park your car and ride everywhere on that island....

Let me know if you want some more local tips - we've gone down there a few times and really like HHI!
    You don't HAVE TO be crazy to be here - But I assure you it will help.....

Hammock
    DIY Multicam, Multicam BlackBird
    Tarp
    HG Camo Cuben
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Phoneix
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Stone Mountain is a good site seeing location and for the laser show at dark, i have never camped there simply because im a Firefighter in the county that Stone Mountain is in and just a stones throw from the campsites are not very family friendly areas, full of drugs crime and prostitutes, plus u will here Sirens all night trust me on this one and you will be under the approach path for the airport and hear airplanes all night. Not trying to scare you just FYI

Hammock
    DIY tableclothsfactory
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    DIY down
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Sounds like a great place for a 6yr old and 8yr old. And a good nights sleep before getting up and driving to HHI

Hammock
    BIAS Weight Weenie Micro
    Tarp
    mamajamba/ HG WP
    Insulation
    HG quilts
    Suspension
    Straps & Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Mongo18 View Post
    Stone Mountain is a good site seeing location and for the laser show at dark, i have never camped there simply because im a Firefighter in the county that Stone Mountain is in and just a stones throw from the campsites are not very family friendly areas, full of drugs crime and prostitutes, plus u will here Sirens all night trust me on this one and you will be under the approach path for the airport and hear airplanes all night. Not trying to scare you just FYI
    That sums it up pretty good.

There are tons of other places to camp in northern GA if you just want to make a stop at stone mountain. I personally have never camped there due to the previous post.

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    Stone Mountain is a nice destination, and the laser show is great. I camped there, but it was several years ago, so I don't know what it is like now. You can always camp somewhere nearby and then spend the day at Stone Mountain. I think your family will truly enjoy it.
    "No whining in the woods"

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Yeah, thats not exactly the "good" side of Atlanta! (a couple of years ago we were driving on the highway near there, and my son just had to go to the bath room---I pulled over at the nearest exit, and it was like an episode of COPs was taking place in front of us---definitely the wrong place to stop!--we got back on the highway and kept driving!) Where are you traveling from? I would recommend either staying in a hotel that night, or a Georgia state park. GA state parks are very good, and most of them lock the gates after dark, so its a safe place to stay! Just do a google search for GAstateparks Also, July is really hot and muggy in GA---a fleece should be just fine!
    Last edited by stevebo; 06-05-2012 at 11:09.
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Hammock
    DIY tableclothsfactory
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    DIY down
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    We are traveling from Central Arkansas, after reading some of the posts here we will NOT be staying in the park, I'm looking right now at some state parks close by.

If you travel 75 north west there is red top mountain on lake allatoona. I've camped there a few times to test out new gear but it is a little out of your way if you're heading to hilton head. However you would have quick access to 285 and then 85.

There are tons of areas in north GA (app trail area).

I haven't really hiked or camped up off 85 so I can't recommend anything over there.

If I head up 85 this weekend I will let you know if I recommend it or not.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast