DIY tableclothsfactory
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    DIY down
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    How about High Falls State Park South of Atlanta?

Hammock
    DIY Multicam, Multicam BlackBird
    Tarp
    HG Camo Cuben
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Phoneix
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Quote Originally Posted by RockIsland View Post
    Great Place to go and its close to I-75 SB, you would be about 3 hours or so from beautiful HHI.

Quote Originally Posted by RockIsland View Post
    I forgot about that one. I second that.

Hammock
    The Green Mile (diy gathered end)
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Leighlo,Kaq, WLSS
    Suspension
    straps and slings
    Images
    Great campground, stayed there with the family a few years back, but we stayed in our popup. Great location for first overnighter in a hammock, as going to ground or tent would be easy if you had to. They have a lot of great stuff there for families to do!
    "But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us."

Hammock
    Tablecloth w/ fronkey net
    Tarp
    Toxaway
    Insulation
    TUCKuilt, pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies & straps
    Cloudland Canyon State Park (in the nw tip of GA) is pretty cool. It's also close to Ruby Falls/Chattanooga. Unicoi SP (in Helen) is pretty cool although it might be a little out of the way. My favorite SP in Georgia is Black Rock Mountain, but that might be way out of the way for you.

Stone Mountain is cool for a day (hike up the mountain, there's a fun kid area kids can shoot nerf balls at one another, and see the lazer show), but I don't know if it would be a good idea to hammock camp there.

Hammock
    DIY tablecloth struc. ridgeline
    Tarp
    Noahs Tarp 12
    Insulation
    Blue WM pad
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    Cloudland Canyon State Park (in the nw tip of GA) is pretty cool. It's also close to Ruby Falls/Chattanooga. Unicoi SP (in Helen) is pretty cool although it might be a little out of the way. My favorite SP in Georgia is Black Rock Mountain, but that might be way out of the way for you.

Stone Mountain is cool for a day (hike up the mountain, there's a fun kid area kids can shoot nerf balls at one another, and see the lazer show), but I don't know if it would be a good idea to hammock camp there.
    I've camped at Cloudland Canyon and High Falls. If you're travelling through, I would recommend High Falls. It's only a mile or two from I-75. Unless they've changed it in the last 15 yrs, it's heavily wooded.

Cloudland Canyon is nice, but it's at least half an hour from I-59. Both have nice campgrounds.
    Time is but the stream I go afishing in. Henry David Thoreau

I took my daughters Girl Scout Troop on their first campout at Stone Mountain. Great campground, everyone ha a great time.
    NOOB!
    My hammock: Warbonnet 1.7 Double
    My sons hammock: Hennessy Hammock Expedition w/ 2QZQ Mod 4
    Spare: ENO Double Nest.

Hammock
    DIY tableclothsfactory
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    DIY down
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Thanks everyone for the reply, It has really helped in our plans. I will be sure to post pics and report of our trip when we get back. By the way... THIS FORUM ROCKS! you guys/gals are very quick to reply and always in a kind and informative way. Thanks again.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images

what the... ??!?

Quote Originally Posted by Mongo18 View Post
    Stone Mountain is a good site seeing location and for the laser show at dark, i have never camped there simply because im a Firefighter in the county that Stone Mountain is in and just a stones throw from the campsites are not very family friendly areas, full of drugs crime and prostitutes, plus u will here Sirens all night trust me on this one and you will be under the approach path for the airport and hear airplanes all night. Not trying to scare you just FYI
    Quote Originally Posted by 13pt buck View Post
    That sums it up pretty good.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevebo View Post
    Yeah, thats not exactly the "good" side of Atlanta! (a couple of years ago we were driving on the highway near there, and my son just had to go to the bath room---I pulled over at the nearest exit, and it was like an episode of COPs was taking place in front of us---definitely the wrong place to stop!--we got back on the highway and kept driving!) Where are you traveling from? I would recommend either staying in a hotel that night, or a Georgia state park. GA state parks are very good, and most of them lock the gates after dark, so its a safe place to stay! Just do a google search for GAstateparks Also, July is really hot and muggy in GA---a fleece should be just fine!
    I don't want to create enemies here, but I have to say that besides the comment about July being hot and muggy in GA, all other comments above are laughable. I mean, seriously, "driving on the highway near there" is not in the park, and frankly, there aren't many exits that are truly near the park. A "stone's throw" distance from the campground is either a golf course or a lake (if you're interested in skipping stones). And besides, almost all of the park is bordered by residential neighborhoods or forest.

If we're talking inside the park, then I have to say that the comments sound racially motivated. For sure, the minority population (not sure that's technically correct, but let's use that pseudonym for now) has found the park to its liking, but that's mostly for daytime family outings, not the campground in general. I've got a pass to the park and I go out there maybe once a month to climb the mountain or bike, and have camped there twice with my boy over the past year or so.

The fact is that its expensive, but its one of the nicest campgrounds in the Atlanta area (where there aren't many), plus there is a lot of family stuff to do there. In general, I wouldn't camp there because there are plenty of places to camp in N.Ga that I would much prefer, but I have camped there in order to introduce my boy to camping in an environment he was familiar with and somewhat close to home. In terms of the Atlanta area, I can't think of a better campground. If you all know of one, let me know. And I've never heard planes at night there.

Yes, the state parks are great, but let's not make it sound like they are security gated as Stone Mountain Park is - not to mention having they're own police dept as SMP does. The "locked gates" at most state parks only prevent traffic from coming in late at night, whereas SMP only allows traffic that has paid for a permit.

It looks like the negative comments have swayed the OP not to stay there and while that in and of itself is not tragic, I do think that this family was not served well by this forum as a result of what I consider to be false comments.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    RockIsland - if you're talking about not going too much out of your way, then High Falls is a good choice, but really only for a 1-night stopover. Its kind of quiet and boring.

If you wanted to reconsider Stone Mt., then you were right about the lakeside sites as almost all have trees. All of the primitive campsites have trees, too, but the lakeside sites are typically very steep leading down to the water. Some of the best and most affordable sites are the non-lakeside primitive ones - you still get a lake view and they are a little flatter and closer to facilities.

Anyway, most of your fun will be had in HH. Have a great trip.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast