Tarp
    HG cuben
    Insulation
    Hg Phoenix WL TQ
    Suspension
    adjustable
    Images

Need help planning

My son and I are going on our first multi day trip. We are going from Indian Grave gap to 19E next weekend and i have a couple of questions.
    1) Will Frogtoggs be enough rain protection for 4 days and i guess they could be used for wind protection as well
    2) I don't have a uq yet and dont know if I should use ccf pad or windshield
    deflector
    3) 20 deg synthetic bag or poncho liner for top quilt
    We are so excited and i just want this trip to be a great one for both of us.
    Thanks for any and all advice

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Frog Togs will work just fine, as long as sticking on trail. Bring a bit of duck tape for repairs if you do snag it or intend to do any bushwhacking.

I would go with the CCF pad, if having to choose one over the other. My current set up uses both, and the windshield protector weights little and packs down well. CCF will be more useful in both wet and cooler temps, should you encounter either. You can also use it as a sit pad or foot pad, internal pack frame, etc.

It's summer, take the PL and leave the 3lb+ bag at home. especially if you take the CCF pad. You can beef it up with a jacket or wearing more cloths to bed. Frog Togs Jackets, and Ponchos also make nice over covers draped from your hammock's ridge line if you need a few more degrees of top insulation.

Don't forget or overlook bug protection. I'd soak everything in Permethrin, and let it dry for a day or so. Lots of info on how to do it. Cloths, PL, Hammock everything.

That way if it's really warm you can leave the pad and the reflector in the pack, and take "advantage" of having the cooling air circulating under you. Skeeters can and will bite through a single layer hammock with relish.

Have a great trip, take pics, and let us know how it goes!

Rolloff
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    DIY or Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Bonefire Deluxe
    Images
    +1 on rolloff's advice. Windshield reflectors/Reflectix are noisy to sleep on, but are definitely useful. Remember that at the higher elevations where you'll be the weather and temps can change quickly. A good thunderstorm can drop the temp by 20-30*. Make sure your gear can serve multiple uses if possible, like the frog toggs for a weather shield over the hammock if it gets cool. That'll help keep the packs lighter. If it's sunny and hot, the balds around Roan Mtn can be hard on fair skinned folks, so be prepared for that as well.

Have fun. That's a beautiful section of trail.

• + New Posts