HH Xped w/2QZQ#4 and HH ULBA
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    HG Phoenx|7DBurrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings/DCs

head end lower then foot end

for those who like to hang with thier head end slightly lower then thier foot end, how do make the adjustment?

do you put the tree strap lower on the tree at the head end or would you have the straps at the same level on the trees and just make your whoopie/ suspension longer on the head end?

when checking other rigs on here and on youtube, i see that alot have the one end low enough that there is a visable angle to the hammock ridgeline. how much lower would your head end be?
    Bring a GPS...It's awkward when you have to eat your buddies.

My YouTube Channel

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    I like to make the adjustment on the trees. I raise the straps up on the tree at the foot end. You could shorten the foot end suspension but I think adjusting it on the trees is better and I think you can get more elevation if you want it.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    Argon X90 Experimental hammock
    Tarp
    7'x9' cuben tarp
    Insulation
    Pads and quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar + dynaglide
    Images
    I like to make the head strap a little lower as well.
    NO SNIVELING!
    www.hikinghq.net - Hiking H.Q.
    www.bmtguide.com - the BMT Thru Hiker's Guide

Hammock
    kbwaddy
    Tarp
    valesko
    Insulation
    ahurst
    Suspension
    dutch
    head strap lower on the tree, otherwise i slide down in the hammock.
    "Jeff-Becking"

DOWNTOWN BROWN!!!!

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    Usually at the tree level, but sometimes the situation warrants a different approach.

Hammock
    Bonefire™ Bridge
    Tarp
    Bonefire™ Shadow
    Insulation
    Bonefire™ UQ
    Suspension
    Bonefire™ Deluxe
    Images
    Foot strap a bit higher than the head. Depending upon the distance between trees, the strap can be up to a foot higher than at the head.
    -Jeremy "Brother Bones"
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    ...he's a mountain goat crossed with a marathoner.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by storm1 View Post
    for those who like to hang with thier head end slightly lower then thier foot end, how do make the adjustment?

do you put the tree strap lower on the tree at the head end or would you have the straps at the same level on the trees and just make your whoopie/ suspension longer on the head end?

when checking other rigs on here and on youtube, i see that alot have the one end low enough that there is a visable angle to the hammock ridgeline. how much lower would your head end be?
    Either way, head end strap lower, or move the foot up higher, or have the head end suspension longer, or a little of all. Whatever it takes. Just play with it till it feels good for you.

And how much the head is lower probably varies with the individual hanger's body weight distribution and with the hammock. When I 1st got a hammock and took it on a week long trip to the mountains in 2006, the HH directions were very exact: first get the hammock equal distance between the trees and LEVEL. So I tried my best to do this as the sun was setting, and ended up down in the foot end of the hammock, along with many other things going wrong( nearly froze to death). 2nd night I had much more time to get things right, I even had my friends eye balling the situation to make sure I was level and equi-distant. Slid down to the foot of the hammock all night long, but other than that it was a good night, warm and comfy! Just had to move back up a few times. Finally a light bulb went off: to heck with the directions, I'm going to try raising the foot. Bingo, uber-comfy from then on!

Bottom line: get the foot high enough that you don't slip downward and not so high that your head feels uncomfortably low with the blood running to your head. Probably 3-6" or maybe even over a foot higher.

Oh, also, some people say that getting the foot high enough- whatever it takes - helps with the common calf pressure problems.

However, with all bridge hammocks I have used I have to put my head end higher, go figure.

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    How much lower? I have masons' line levels on my hammocks and adjust the hang til they are one bubble off plumb or a little more.

Sometimes I make the foot side tree strap higher than the head side, but other times I simply can't do that. For instance when the head side tree is up a slope and/or the foot side tree is down a slope. Then I adjust my whoopie slings (which means my hammock is no longer centered just so between the trees).

Out in nature, you just have to work with what the Good Lord dealt ya.

Rain Man

"You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims." --Harriet Woods

http://www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    9x10 tyvek
    Insulation
    ww blue ccf pad
    Suspension
    whoopies & toggles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    How much lower? I have masons' line levels on my hammocks and adjust the hang til they are one bubble off plumb or a little more.
    The Missus often rolls her eyes during my set-up because I can get a bit compulsive with just how high my feet are above my head--in, back out and fiddle. Back in. Back out and fiddle. Rinse and repeat ad infinitum. I was going to show her that it could be worse: I could be using a mason's line level. Upon further reflection, however, I have decided that I too will get a line level, but will not tell the Missus. This way I can be obsessive, but so quick that it won't look like I am (unless, of coarse, the Missus discovers the line level--then I will NEVER hear the end of it).

As for how... I try to just lower the head end (or raise the foot end) by adjusting my huggers. If conditions don't allow for this, then I fool around with whoopie length--I just like my whoopies equal distances before spinning counterclockwise seven times and then stomping with my right foot four times while shouting "choop, Choop, CHOOP, NAAANNY!!!"

You know, for purely aesthetic reasons
    You're gonna need a bigger hammock

Hammock
    Skeeter Beeter Pro
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WL3/4 - GoLite TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I bring a bucket of water and some fertilizer for the tree at the foot end.
    hammock [ham-uhk] noun
    Man's successful attempt to sleep on a cloud

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast