DIY
    Tarp
    Chinook 12 x 9.6
    Insulation
    Mummy bag
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    I think a double layer gives folks with a limited budget(like myself) more choices for bottom insulation. Pads, old sleeping bags, truck sun shields, etc. have been used with double layer setups pretty successfully with less fiddle factor as far as the pads moving around. I have designed a hybrid that uses the inner layer as the sole support for the hanger, but with a second totally detachable layer that allows for a big selection of insulation choices. http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=53014

This past weekend I was relaxing under the trees, and the second layer was too hot. I just detached the magnets on the sides and swung it under me to the foot side of the hammock, and it folded up into a long narrow piece of fabric that was out of the way. I felt that nice breeze Oldgringo referred to just fine!

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    My 2 cents,
    I suggest going double layer, but reducing the fabric weight.

The DB60 SL weighs approx 30-31oz when built from the 2.56oz Polyester Crinkle Taffeta.
    This provides a very solid hammock bed with very little stretch.

The DB60 DL built from this same fabric weighs around 47ish oz and you get the ability to insert a pad between the layers. A person weighing under 200 does not gain any noticable support and the additional strength added is unnecessary.

If you got the DB60 DL using 1.1oz ripstop, it would go somewhere around 28-29oz and would offer you the advantages of a DL at an acceptable overall weight.

I'm 240lbs and really prefer the firmer feel of a single layer of the Polyester fabric over a double layer of the 1.1oz nylon. At your weight, I doubt that you'd notice much of a difference.

Hammock
    Grapenut DIY
    Tarp
    HNO Airship
    Insulation
    Leigh-Lo
    Suspension
    Always
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaSmurf View Post
    My 2 cents,
    I suggest going double layer, but reducing the fabric weight.

The DB60 SL weighs approx 30-31oz when built from the 2.56oz Polyester Crinkle Taffeta.
    This provides a very solid hammock bed with very little stretch.

The DB60 DL built from this same fabric weighs around 47ish oz and you get the ability to insert a pad between the layers. A person weighing under 200 does not gain any noticable support and the additional strength added is unnecessary.

If you got the DB60 DL using 1.1oz ripstop, it would go somewhere around 28-29oz and would offer you the advantages of a DL at an acceptable overall weight.

I'm 240lbs and really prefer the firmer feel of a single layer of the Polyester fabric over a double layer of the 1.1oz nylon. At your weight, I doubt that you'd notice much of a difference.
    What DEVISTATES me about this comment...?

When I break down and order...I'm gonna have to try both to see which I prefer. Hello, my name is Steve and I'm a hammock-holic.
    Afoot and light-hearted, I take to the open road,
    Healthy, free, the world before me,
    The long brown path before me, leading wherever I choose.

Hammock
    eno DN, DB60, WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    JRB Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ 20* Zeppelin
    Suspension
    All of them!
    Images
    Thanks for the response Randy!

I will eventually end up with an UQ but will probably use a SPE with a Thermarest pad in the meantime. I did have some concerns regarding biting insects but I think there may be other ways to overcome that without the need for a 2nd layer of fabric.

I do appreciate all of you that chimed in with reasons.
    Last edited by CrazyMike; 06-06-2012 at 13:22.

Hammock
    HH DJ XL
    Tarp
    DD 3x3 Tarp
    Insulation
    Pad (for now)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    From a strength point of view a SL should always be outperformed by a DL.
    Not only is there a greater amount (cross section) to carry the weight but probably more importantly there's the 'safety net' of failure by a split or tear... If you put a fault into one layer yiou have another with no fault to propogate failure.
    There's probably a interesting piece of work in figuring out the optimum strength to weight ratio.

Hammock
    WBBB & HH Exped Zip
    Tarp
    SF, HH Hex
    Insulation
    JRB Grlk3,EERevX20
    Suspension
    Web/Whoopie Sling
    Anybody stuff a sleeping bag into double layer, instead of pad? I have an HH Exped Zip, and use a thermarest, but am considering a WBB, especially if I might get away with shoving a summer sleeping bag in between layers and calling it a night...
    J3

"No Matter where you go, there you are." -B. Banzai
    -Crede quod habes et habes-

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by JumpinJackJim View Post
    Anybody stuff a sleeping bag into double layer, instead of pad? I have an HH Exped Zip, and use a thermarest, but am considering a WBB, especially if I might get away with shoving a summer sleeping bag in between layers and calling it a night...
    While a pad stands up to the compressive forces between the two layers, a sleeping bag will compress and lose a considerable amount of it's insulating value.

Also watch out laying on zippers. Some would consider them to be a somewhat sharp and pointy object.

Hammock
    Thunderbird11ft DL
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    20 UGQ Underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    It absolutely cracks me up to see people don't do DL beacuse of the weight. I mean its a matter of ounces unless your a gram weeniee there to me is no question DL is the way to go simply due to its versitality. I dont carry anything unless it fufills multiple purposes and that includes my hammock! Just my 2 cents!
    Psalm 50:1 The Mighty One, God, the Lord, speaks and calls the earth from the rising of the sun to its setting.
    Old Dominion Hangers: Secretary
    First Annual Powhatan Hang and Work - April 17-19, 2015

Hammock
    WL, WB, Clark stuff
    Images

Why make a choice???????? Get Both.

Both have their place in my lineup.

My SL WBBB 1.7 is what I think is THE perfect summer hammock. I never need a pad or UQ in the 5 months of summer down here, so a DL in summer would be wasted. As mentioned, it lets breezes through on hot nights. Plus the 1.7 supports my 175 perfectly, I don't like too much stretch. A squirt of permethrin keeps me from ever getting bit by skeeters through the bottom.

My 2 WBRRs both have DLs, for pads, for the other 3 cooler seasons. I have a no net for the really cold months of winter. And a netted RR for fall and spring, when the early nights are a little warm and the skeeters are still out, but I can also put a pad in it for the wee hours of the morning when it gets chilly.

With all the options out there, I figured, why constrain myself to just one hammock system?

Hammock
    WWM with Dynaglide whoopies
    Tarp
    8.5x10 Zpack
    Insulation
    down
    Suspension
    DreamHmck slng/tog

stuff changes over time

Hammock insulation is in a transition period from pads in DLs, to UQs on SLs. As time goes by, hanging gear will have more variety and will be more specialized.

There was a period when Kelty backpacks with frames were the state of the art. That was a long time ago.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast